Creating a note repeater with Reason's Players

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
StartledLemon

15 Nov 2021

Hello,

Is it possible to create a simple note repeater using Reason's stock Players? I'm trying to setup something that repeats a note (at the song's tempo) while I hold down the note until I release it. If I play a chord all notes should play repeatedly simultaneously, regardless of when I press the individual notes of the chord. When I release the note or chord it should stop repeating.

Could that be done using a stock Reason Player?

If not, could anyone give me some pointers as to how it could be achieved without Players directly within Europa?

Many thanks in anticipation.

/Neil

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Nov 2021

I'd use Alligator gate instead to achieve that.

selig
RE Developer

15 Nov 2021

I don't think any of the stock players can do this. The Arpeggiator in my Novation SL mkIII does this via a type/direction called "chord", and it is fun to play - so maybe there is a 3rd party Player that can do this?
Selig Audio, LLC

rcbuse
RE Developer

15 Nov 2021

StartledLemon wrote:
15 Nov 2021
Hello,

Is it possible to create a simple note repeater using Reason's stock Players? I'm trying to setup something that repeats a note (at the song's tempo) while I hold down the note until I release it. If I play a chord all notes should play repeatedly simultaneously, regardless of when I press the individual notes of the chord. When I release the note or chord it should stop repeating.

Could that be done using a stock Reason Player?

If not, could anyone give me some pointers as to how it could be achieved without Players directly within Europa?

Many thanks in anticipation.

/Neil
You can kinda-sorta get this with Dual Arp if you use hold and a simple pattern with the number of keys you hold down.
Arp.jpg
Arp.jpg (73.33 KiB) Viewed 435 times

artotaku

15 Nov 2021

Not a stock player but I think https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequencer/ has a chord mode and does what you want. The advantage over Dual Arp is that it is not restricted to any note count of a chord.

huggermugger

15 Nov 2021

Another vote for Phrase. Here's how it might look. I've got two iterations of the chord in play here, the second one with a slightly reduced velocity value for a little more rhythmic 'feel'.

Phrase really is a cool Player, capable of some pretty interesting things, and versatile.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.41.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.41.55 PM.png (172.87 KiB) Viewed 386 times

jam-s

15 Nov 2021

I have not yet tested this, but Autolatch might also be able to do this in combination with note echo.

StartledLemon

16 Nov 2021

Thanks to you all for your replies. I'll try the recommendations.

Thanks again!

/Neil

• Information