it is here, go look at Props website now !!!!!!!!!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Purpleb

22 Jan 2015

Just watched the video...so if one of the collaborators sell the song who gets paid, how and what is the split? This is going to be a copyright nightmare and a lawyer's dream.

Exowildebeest

22 Jan 2015

Purpleb wrote:Just watched the video...so if one of the collaborators sell the song who gets paid, how and what is the split? This is going to be a copyright nightmare and a lawyer's dream.
That's not up to PH, that's up to the people who make the music, as it has always been.

I think it's a nice little cheesy video. Definitely slick and good marketing. Remember the Record videos with the hipsters? Those were much worse and trying too hard :)

tibah

22 Jan 2015

Because it's way easier to get 1 million people to buy a cheap app for their phone, instead of a 360€ program with cables and a giant mixer to confuse them? ;)

Indeed weird to have discover that much *in your face*, while Reason 8 is the most successful upgrade they ever made. But hey, the program I love the most to make music on a computer is still here and works, happy times! :D

I'm rather interested in the way they overall going to "force" to upgrade in the future. SDK development + Reason upgrades accordingly, integration with Discover and the mobile apps etc. Then again, who knows what OS will come, what Reason X will bring, how SDK 3.0 will turn out... blah blah. ;)  I'm getting too old for this!  :s0403:

Some Desperate Glory

22 Jan 2015

The "San Francisco" section of that video is filmed entirely in the Mission District.  Yep, Props is now all about the hipsters.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Tumble

22 Jan 2015

Now they just need to update the shop.

TheGoodGoodMan

22 Jan 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote: that in real life would almost certainly lead to possibly life-threatening injuries?
Check 1:42 min in the video. It certainly looks like that.  :s0225:
I bursted laughing when I watched it. It was before I read any comments.

Yorick

22 Jan 2015

It just seems like someone's bright idealistic idea in the boardroom, but no market research was done about how people are actually collaborating today.

How is Discover going to be any different from Music Gateway or other collaboration-initiating sites?
How is it different from dropbox, or Copy or other file-sharing collaboration sites? If anything it's far worse than dropbox, because it's all public. Dropbox you can make a folder, assign people who can share in it, and be doing exactly what you're doing in discover, except one person might be in Maschine, another in Pro Tools, another in Logic etc. It's about creating music/film, not about the tools. 
I'm just at a loss...

Reason is a world-class product. It's exceptional. It does certain things better than any other DAW. I believe a far better direction would have been making corresponding hardware - a physical Kong, a physical Dr OctoRex triggerer, a better Balance - getting movie integration, and unpacking the various rack instruments - Subtractor, Kong, ReDrum etc - as standalone AAX, VST, AU and iPad instruments/effects, as NI have done with some of their reverbs from Guitar Rig.

Making the various instruments standalone, and applying a real dollar value to them, would have thus increased Reason's perceived value in hosting them.

Furthermore, the RE store and Refill store is a potential Goldmine if they priced it and grabbed proper commission from it. They could also have extended that into an mp3 store or radio station/streaming service too without much trouble.

But whatever... who am I?

Exowildebeest

22 Jan 2015

IchMensch wrote:Because it's way easier to get 1 million people to buy a cheap app for their phone, instead of a 360€ program with cables and a giant mixer to confuse them? ;)

Indeed weird to have discover that much *in your face*, while Reason 8 is the most successful upgrade they ever made. But hey, the program I love the most to make music on a computer is still here and works, happy times! :D

I'm rather interested in the way they overall going to "force" to upgrade in the future. SDK development + Reason upgrades accordingly, integration with Discover and the mobile apps etc.
It's also odd because Discover is so much in beta. It isn't developed enough the be the main feature of the website imo.

But they have to move on so I guess they had to do it. Hopefully this'll make them loads of money from hipsters singing into Take, money to spend on that SDK and CV and other *cough* nerdthings :)

robgs

22 Jan 2015

Bit silly they haven't added the new look theme to the store. I'm guessing that Ernst's mates brother's cousin who builds websites isn't very good at e-commerce applications..

:reason: :record: :refill: :reload: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Karim
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2015

if you feel the need of a iphone seriously beginning to get worried, brother  :shock:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

joeyluck

22 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:The video is pretty great though!

Of course there will be some haters, but I think it is done very well.
Showcases all of their products (Reason, Discover, Figure, Take) all in one interesting video.

I wish them success at NAMM!
JiggeryPokery wrote:
lol, most people singing into a $600 iPhone
JiggeryPokery wrote:while wearing headphones and not paying attention to what's around them
JiggeryPokery wrote: is just going to get mugged.

Yorick wrote:
Really stupid direction. Seems bewildering.
joeyluck wrote:
You think you could have directed a better 3 min video that showcases Discover, Reason, Rack Extensions, Take, and Figure?  What would you have done?  Used different actors?  Used a different song?  I can't see it being executed much better...  It showcases everything pretty well and concisely.  It will make sense to current users and non-Propellerhead app owning individuals.   

Maybe I'm just being nice coming from a pretty horribly executed, lengthy Korg ARP Odyssey preview ;P
Yorick wrote:
No I mean moving the focus of Propellerhead from the tools to make quality music, to being a network to collaborate with others.
There are other sites already doing that such as
https://www.musicgateway.net/
Yorick wrote: and I can tell you, it's lame. I've been a member there since it's been open, and the concept just doesn't work. Not in my experience anyway.
That's different though.  This bridges mobile and desktop very nicely.  

It's not so much selling the idea of collaboration I feel.  Yes, that is what it is on it's face.  
But what it really is is attracting users of the mobile market via a free app (Take) and a free service (Discover) toward Reason—it's a great marketing strategy.  This video is a good ad, but the greater ad is Take and Discover in themselves.  Take and Discover will sell more Reason licenses as it increases exposure.

Or we can tell Propellerhead to just buy ads in magazines and keep pushing their demo of Reason via Facebook while trying to compete with the countless DAWs available now.  
They've made a very smart move with a creative marketing strategy.

phasys

22 Jan 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:so I cant use this service with Reason 7.101 ?
Vesterager wrote:
no, 8.1 only
You know you want it, it's the most succesful version yet!

Tumble

22 Jan 2015

I'd rather use Splice, to be honest.

But Reason isn't supported :_:

Last Alternative

22 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote:I believe a far better direction would have been making corresponding hardware - a physical Kong...
Yeah but it would be outdated by the time it released.. like Balance with no MIDI out. And here I thought they always plan for the future, making Balance and knowing they were gonna do MIDI out in Reason. LOL

They jump ship on a lot of stuff they make... or shall I say start to make.
It really feels like all their endeavors have a trail of neglected bugs and issues in their wake.

BTW, this joeyluck guy must work undercover for PH or somethin. Dude can't see where anyone is coming from! :P
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

joeyluck

22 Jan 2015

I find it funny that people are freaking out over this and can't put two and two together.  

I don't have an iPhone.  I don't own Take or Figure.

But as a Reason user, this strategy they are executing makes me feel more comfortable about the future and success of Reason.

I have a degree in Business—Organization and Innovation Management.  I don't mean to sound big headed by saying this lol.  I'm not saying that because of that my opinion is right or anything I say in regards to business is right.  We all have some background.  I'm just trying to give some background to my opinion and my feelings.

This strategy they are currently executing is smart.  And I just hope to possibly ease the tension and help some fellow Reason users relax is all =)

Yorick

22 Jan 2015

Last Alternative wrote:they jump ship on a lot of stuff they make... or shall I say start to make.
They killed Record as a standalone.
They killed ReBirth, and then killed ReBirth for iPhone.
They killed Balance.
:frown:

Yorick

22 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:I find it funny that people are freaking out over this and can't put two and two together.  

As a Reason user, this strategy they are executing makes me feel more comfortable about the future and success of Reason.

I have a degree in Business—Organization and Innovation Management.  I don't mean to sound big headed by saying this lol.  I'm not saying that because of that my opinion is right or anything I say in regards to business is right.  I'm just trying to give some background to my opinion and my feelings.

This strategy they are currently executing is smart.  And I just hope to possibly ease the tension and help some fellow Reason users relax is all =)
I hope you're right bro.

Last Alternative

22 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:But what it really is is attracting users of the mobile market via a free app (Take)..
Actually it's $500-$600 if you don't have an iPhone and want Take and all that jazz. Maybe it's worth it to a few clowns out there.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

stratatonic

22 Jan 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
It's also odd because Discover is so much in beta. It isn't developed enough the be the main feature of the website imo.

As for the Discover beta, the kinks will all be reported to Propellerhead by the hardcore fanbase here who are all using and testing the service with their copies of ....Reason 8.1...
oh wait...
(Geez, maybe they should have had a kickass upgrade to get EVERYONE on board) :roll:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:I find it funny that people are freaking out over this and can't put two and two together.  

But as a Reason user, this strategy they are executing makes me feel more comfortable about the future and success of Reason.

I have a degree in Business—Organization and Innovation Management.  I don't mean to sound big headed by saying this lol.  I'm not saying that because of that my opinion is right or anything I say in regards to business is right.  We all have some background.  I'm just trying to give some background to my opinion and my feelings.

What if you don't have Reason, an iPhone, Take or Figure?

Now reload PH home. Don't scroll, don't touch.

What PH product are you being encouraged to buy?

Last Alternative

22 Jan 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Now reload PH home. Don't scroll, don't touch.
What PH product are you being encouraged to buy?
Absolutely nothing. Wow they didn't really think this thru. I can see a lot of clueless peeps looking at that and immediately moving on with their life.

ethday

22 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote: But as a Reason user, this strategy they are executing makes me feel more comfortable about the future and success of Reason.

By all means, ease the tension!  Don't just tell me why you're qualified and I should trust you, tell my why.  Also, tell me where you got that hat...

Marketblandings

22 Jan 2015

ethday wrote:Seriously, is anyone excited about the collaboration thing?  I don't mind it, it's just driving me batty that they're pushing it like it's the most important thing in the world to them.  But what about ownership?  Who owns Goodnight Tokyo!?  Who posts it to iTunes or bandcamp and makes anything off of their hard work?  Who gives permission for it to be used in a youtube video or movie?  I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I'm kind of hoping the whole thing falls with a resounding thud, so PH can get back to focusing on software.

This seems like a huge musical exercise in friendship and it's making me a little nuts.  
You are soooooo right, ethday.

Begin the giant legal battles in 5... 4... 3... 2...

4filegate

22 Jan 2015

Responsive Theme is a flexible foundation with fluid grid system that adapts your website to mobile devices and the desktop or any other viewing environment, and they sell apps for mobile devices on a old shop? I'am not a fan of mobile applications and Devices - not my playground

"an idealist can walk through walls and then clash on the doors" :crazy:

• Information