Combi 2 backwards compatibility?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
utdgrant

05 Sep 2021

If I create a new Combi patch in R12, what will be the response if a user with an earlier version of Reason tries to load it?

Will the earlier Reason just do "Computer says no", or will it try its best to implement it to the best of its ability?

If I was particularly careful about the structure of a Combi 2 patch, would that help? For example:

1. Only the default front panel appearance and controls.
2. Remove the 'Combi mixer'.

I've upgraded to R12, but my bandmate is currently still using R11. If I send him a new Combi patch, will he be able to load it?
Grant Middleton (records as "Under the Dome")

:reason: 12, Windows 10, 64-bit

Personal Website

YouTube channel

selig
RE Developer

05 Sep 2021

utdgrant wrote:
05 Sep 2021
If I create a new Combi patch in R12, what will be the response if a user with an earlier version of Reason tries to load it?

Will the earlier Reason just do "Computer says no", or will it try its best to implement it to the best of its ability?

If I was particularly careful about the structure of a Combi 2 patch, would that help? For example:

I've upgraded to R12, but my bandmate is currently still using R11. If I send him a new Combi patch, will he be able to load it?
Unless you go back at add the code to recognize the new format, there's no way the old version would be able to know what to do when seeing totally new code (software is very picky that way…).
So you will get an error just like if you try to load a song saved with newer versions of an RE, you'll get a fairly descriptive warning telling you the song was saved with a newer version of some REs etc.
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

05 Sep 2021

utdgrant wrote:
05 Sep 2021

No they will get an error message
Reason wrote: Bad patch format
The selected file is in the wrong format or corrupt.

utdgrant

05 Sep 2021

Thanks for the speedy response, people! :thumbup:

That's......disappointing. :(

It would have been nice to have both the Original Combinator AND Combi 2 available for just such a situation.
It will mean that sound designers working in R12 can't create Combis for all users, even if they're only utilising legacy devices.

It's not a show-stopper for us, as my bandmate is usually an early adopter of Reason updates, and will get R12 very soon.

Personal Website

YouTube channel

nickb523
RE Developer

05 Sep 2021

utdgrant wrote:
05 Sep 2021

It will mean that sound designers working in R12 can't create Combis for all users, even if they're only utilising legacy devices.
Yeah that is true, we are now heading into a bit of transition period. Going forward all my forthcoming ReFills and youtube patches will require V12 or higher. When remastering older ReFills I intend to include a legacy folder with the old V1 Combi patches so existing users don't end up getting forced to upgrade.

It's a bit of a pain for now but given a bit of time it'll become less and less of an issue as people get up to date.
Nick Baxter
SKP Sound Design

Billy+

05 Sep 2021

utdgrant wrote:
05 Sep 2021
Thanks for the speedy response, people! :thumbup:

That's......disappointing. :(

It would have been nice to have both the Original Combinator AND Combi 2 available for just such a situation.

It's not a show-stopper for us, as my bandmate is usually an early adopter of Reason updates, and will get R12 very soon.
I would probably just continue using R11 with your band mates for the next few weeks/months while they make up their minds over the upgrade :thumbs_up:

BumCuddle

05 Sep 2021

Hey Grant, just had a quick flick through your youtube channel, some wonderful stuff on there! :clap:
Very Tangerine Dream like music which is all good with me and looks like some great reason tutorials thrown in.
Will be diving into it for sure.

utdgrant

06 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Sep 2021

I would probably just continue using R11 with your band mates for the next few weeks/months while they make up their minds over the upgrade :thumbs_up:
It's all academic now, as Colin upgraded to Reason 12 late last night. :lol:

Personal Website

YouTube channel

utdgrant

06 Sep 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
05 Sep 2021
Hey Grant, just had a quick flick through your youtube channel, some wonderful stuff on there! :clap:
Very Tangerine Dream like music which is all good with me and looks like some great reason tutorials thrown in.
Will be diving into it for sure.
Thank you! Yes, we're unashamedly inspired by 1970s-era electronic music! Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Jarre, Vangelis, Ashra, Kraftwerk, etc.

I really should pick up my "Programming Thor With Grant" course. There's still a shedload of stuff to cover. I just love that device - it's my fave synth of all time.

Personal Website

YouTube channel

StephenHutchinson

06 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
05 Sep 2021
utdgrant wrote:
05 Sep 2021

Yeah that is true, we are now heading into a bit of transition period. Going forward all my forthcoming ReFills and youtube patches will require V12 or higher. When remastering older ReFills I intend to include a legacy folder with the old V1 Combi patches so existing users don't end up getting forced to upgrade.

It's a bit of a pain for now but given a bit of time it'll become less and less of an issue as people get up to date.
That's absolutely kind and generous of you, much appreciated. Love your R+ Sound Packs, REs and the patches that come with them! :thumbup:
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

selig
RE Developer

06 Sep 2021

Damn, I feel like I should know you, or maybe I DO know you and have forgotten! And I mean beyond knowing you from theses forums - I know Paul Nagel through Mike Metlay from Different Skies in the US, and I know you've played with Paul. Did we meet at Alfa Centauri years ago (2004) in Holland? Getting old sucks some days… ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

utdgrant

06 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
06 Sep 2021
Damn, I feel like I should know you, or maybe I DO know you and have forgotten! And I mean beyond knowing you from theses forums - I know Paul Nagel through Mike Metlay from Different Skies in the US, and I know you've played with Paul. Did we meet at Alfa Centauri years ago (2004) in Holland? Getting old sucks some days… ;(
I was at Alfa Centauri in 1999, mainly to see Redshift. Perhaps there? Or did you come to the Cosmic Smokers gig at the National Space Centre in the UK? That was 2004 - me, Paul Nagle and the Airsculpture guys.

Personal Website

YouTube channel

• Information