Reason 10.3 takes ages to open.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2019

I don't know if this is a common problem but I'm shocked at the time it takes for 10.3 to boot up. The previous version was pretty slow on my PC but, dear lord, this is ridiculous. I reckon it took about 2 minutes yesterday.
The problem is there is no indication of activity, with Cubase I see what it is loading so I know it's doing something and it takes a quarter of the time Reason takes to do the same thing (start!).
It's not the end of the world but it does put a downer on clicking on the Reason icon - everything else in this world seems to be quick and getting quicker.

Grum.

NekujaK

24 Apr 2019

Don't know if this will help in your situation, but do you have any Waves plugins? I've encountered sudden slow starup times with Reason, and each time, it turned out new updates were available for one or more of my Waves plugins. Running Waves Central and applying the latest updates restored Reason's quick startup time. Strange but true.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2019

NekujaK wrote:
24 Apr 2019
Don't know if this will help in your situation, but do you have any Waves plugins? I've encountered sudden slow starup times with Reason, and each time, it turned out new updates were available for one or more of my Waves plugins. Running Waves Central and applying the latest updates restored Reason's quick startup time. Strange but true.
Funnily enough I do have Waves plugins - quite a few (and I was just looking at more stuff when I got an email saying you had replied!).
Also funnily enough I'm sure l ran Waves Central quite recently - but I can do it again to make sure.
The weird thing with having Waves stuff in a project is the cursor will change to the Waves logo as it loads - no other product I have does this. Totally unrelated to a slow boot up but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Cheers for your thoughts :puf_smile:

Soft Enerji

24 Apr 2019

A couple of "asides": here:
1. Waves stuff just seemed to cause all sorts of probs for me so I deleted and will never install their stuff again.
2. Grum, I know you were a big Sonar user, but see you've jumped to Cubase. I'm still using Splat under it's new guise as Cakewalk by Bandlab and still loving it. Just wondering if you've tried it out or was there another reason you jumped ship?

nscerri

24 Apr 2019

NekujaK wrote:
24 Apr 2019
Thanks for the heads-up, will try this out as I am experience the same issue.

Regards

Noel

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2019

Soft Enerji wrote:
24 Apr 2019
A couple of "asides": here:
1. Waves stuff just seemed to cause all sorts of probs for me so I deleted and will never install their stuff again.
2. Grum, I know you were a big Sonar user, but see you've jumped to Cubase. I'm still using Splat under it's new guise as Cakewalk by Bandlab and still loving it. Just wondering if you've tried it out or was there another reason you jumped ship?
I like my Waves stuff and it works fine for me. It also loads into Cubase without a song and dance.
I bailed on Sonar when it was abandoned - there was a great deal to cross-grade to Cubase 9 at that time so I jumped!
I have CbB installed and keep it up to date but there is nothing it does that makes me want to use it (though I miss the free piano). I think ACT was the thing that pissed me off so much that I couldn't be bothered anymore.
I like Cubase but, though I'm always playing around with it, I have finished one track since I got it. The days of pushing out finished track after finished track are long gone for me :puf_unhappy:

I am having a go at the RE bass competition (obviously in Reason) but Reason taking an age to boot up gets on my tits as well.
Apart from that all is well in my life :D
Thanks for popping by, Mr Softy.

Grum.

Enterface

24 Apr 2019

I have this problem but I don't have any Waves plug-ins installed... I recently deleted a bunch of unused plugins from my machine but that didn't seem to help much.

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2019

Same here. No waves plugins. It takes approx. 33 seconds to start the software including online authentication. Pretty sure it was at least half of that in version 10.2
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

NekujaK

24 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
24 Apr 2019
Same here. No waves plugins. It takes approx. 33 seconds to start the software including online authentication. Pretty sure it was at least half of that in version 10.2
Well that's frustrating. Have you tried completely removing all VST plugins, just to see if VSTs are the culprit?

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2019

NekujaK wrote:
24 Apr 2019
diminished wrote:
24 Apr 2019
Well that's frustrating. Have you tried completely removing all VST plugins, just to see if VSTs are the culprit?
TBH I don't want to, I'm gonna sit that one out. If I'm in music making mode and know I need to open project files, I just leave an empty project open in the background.
There are enough people in this thread alone to make some noise and I'm sure PH are watching and are hopefully, at least by now, aware of this issue. This isn't a coincidence nor an error where users or VST manufacturers are at fault, this was introduced in 10.3.
And yes, as of late I'm a little salty towards PH when it comes to bug reports. In a nutshell:
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

manuel radioact77

24 Apr 2019

EDIT: SOLVED.

I confirm this.

I have both Reason 9.5 and Reason 10.3 installed.

My Waves plugins don't appear in Reason 10.3. They work fine in Reason 9.5.

The only problem with Reason 10.3 are the Waves plugins.
Last edited by manuel radioact77 on 25 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

NekujaK

24 Apr 2019

manuel radioact77 wrote:
24 Apr 2019
I confirm this.

I have both Reason 9.5 and Reason 10.3 installed.

Curious... does Reason report errors with the Waves plugins (in the VST manager window), or does it simply not see them?

BTW, I'm on 10.2 - not switching to 10.3 until some of the bigger kinks are fixed, so I can't corroborate one way or another.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2019

Just to say that Waves plugins can be seen in 10.3 - I had no problems at all.
Reason still takes too long to load though :puf_wink:

Grum.

manuel radioact77

24 Apr 2019

NekujaK wrote:
24 Apr 2019
manuel radioact77 wrote:
24 Apr 2019
I confirm this.

I have both Reason 9.5 and Reason 10.3.

Curious... does Reason report errors with the Waves plugins (in the VST manager window), or does it simply not see them?

BTW, I'm on 10.2 - not switching to 10.3 until some of the bigger kinks are fixed, so I can't corroborate one way or another.

EDIT: SOLVED.

I have Reason 9.5 and Reason 10.3 installed In the same laptop:

I did all the steps written in Waves' page called "How to Find Your Plugins in Reason", including step # 4:

"Step #4 – Rescan for Plugins

If the relevant plugin files are in the above folders, perform the following procedure:

Windows

In Reason, go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced tab.
Under VST Plugin Folders, make sure that the following path is listed (if not, add it) and check-marked:

• C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins
Quit Reason.
Press the [Win key]+R, type %LocalAppData% and press Enter.
Go to Propellerhead Software > Reason.
Drag the _PluginCache.dat file to your desktop.
Launch Reason. It will perform a complete plugin re-scan (will take longer than usual).
If your plugins are now available in Reason and everything is working properly, you can delete the _PluginCache.dat file from your desktop."

So after i did all the 4 steps, including step #4 i launched Reason 10.3. No rescan of the plugins happened and my Waves plugins don't appear. All the other 3rd party plugins appear. No error messages either.

Then i decided to relaunch Reason 9.5. It immediately did a long scanning of all the plugins, one by one, including Waves plugins. All the plugins appear, including all the Waves plugins.

So: Waves plugins appear in Reason 9.5. No Waves plugins appear in Reason 10.3. :|
Last edited by manuel radioact77 on 25 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reggie1979

24 Apr 2019

@waves plugins: This might be a captain obvious comment but that should really only be a problem if you are opening a project or template with those loaded.

My bugaboo was Slate VMR but they've solved that issue it seems.

reggie1979

24 Apr 2019

BTW, I'm internet connected for my license and it takes a little bit of time to load. But not the long times you are mentioning.

Another couple of thoughts and then I've got nuttin' ... does it launch faster in demo mode? Do you have another computer that you could load it on? Maybe a driver somewhere?

Hope you get it solved.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2019

So today is a new day and on this day Reason opened much better! No changes made by me but the time difference between clicking on the Reason icon and the splash screen for logging on (due to RE trail) coming up was huge. Today it was almost instant and then less than 50 seconds to be ready to go. I can live with that.
As a comparison Cubase takes about 40 seconds the first time it opens but if you open it later, or open it after running Reason, it takes 15 seconds as the PC has done its VST scan malarkey and Cubase knows it.

I'll leave you guys carry on fighting over Waves plugins...……… :puf_bigsmile:

Grum :puf_smile:

Loque

25 Apr 2019

Grumbleweed wrote:
25 Apr 2019
So today is a new day and on this day Reason opened much better! No changes made by me but the time difference between clicking on the Reason icon and the splash screen for logging on (due to RE trail) coming up was huge. Today it was almost instant and then less than 50 seconds to be ready to go. I can live with that.
As a comparison Cubase takes about 40 seconds the first time it opens but if you open it later, or open it after running Reason, it takes 15 seconds as the PC has done its VST scan malarkey and Cubase knows it.

I'll leave you guys carry on fighting over Waves plugins...……… :puf_bigsmile:

Grum :puf_smile:
You should check your Plugin Window for deactivated VSTs, which may had caused trouble in the previous starts.
Reason12, Win10

manuel radioact77

25 Apr 2019

Ok, waves problem in Reason 10.3 is solved.

For some reason in Reason 10.3 in "Preferences" - "Advanced", i had to add new path to C.\Program Files(x86)\Waves\

So when i opened Reason 10.3 it scanned all the Waves plugins and now they all appear.

In Reason 9.5 (wich i still have installed) it insn't necessary to choose that path (basically only C:\Program Files\VSTplugins\, and all the plugins, including Waves plugins appear.

So everything is good now.

Cheers!

• Information