80's pattern sequencing

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jpf

08 Sep 2018

Hi everybody! How can I make this kind of one-finger riffs with reason?

I have tried using Thor step sequencer, Polysix arpeggiator, Reason's Matrix, AutoArp RE, etc... but for some reason the pattern does not change smoothly when I change key and usually the note or the rhythm is "cutted"... It seems so easy to achieve on the Juno 60...

Thank you in advance!

Tweak

09 Sep 2018

Whilst not perfect, this can be done with AutoArp. To obtain the octave bass explained in the video, try adjusting the following settings:

Press "Hold" Button
Set the "First Input Quantising" to 1/4 (this shows as "VALUE" on the user interface, and has a default value of "OFF")
Turn chord generation off by changing the "Enabled" value next to the Chord Generator
Set the arp sync rate to 1/8
Set the arp step count to 2
Set the arp octave shift to 1
Hook up AutoArp to your instrument using the main gate/cv on the back

I've attached a zipped patch for AutoArp that demos this. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Octave Bass.repatch.zip
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

diekehle

09 Sep 2018

You can achieve that with TAL UNO Vst Emulation of the Juno And the Arpeggio Player in combination with the scales player.

EdGrip

09 Sep 2018

It's mainly about practicing your timing. Although the arpeggiator is doing lots of the work, it's very critical when you press the keys to change the notes. You have to get into the groove of the machine(s).

selig
RE Developer

09 Sep 2018

Super easy on the PolySix too, just make sure to use Latch (equal to Hold). The default patch works great for this, just start there, turn on the Arpeggiator, set the Base Note to 1/8 and the Range to 2 Oct, and turn Latch on.

The trick, as others have hinted, is to hit the NEW note very slightly BEFORE the beat. Takes a little practice, but once mastered you'll make it look easy too!
Selig Audio, LLC

jpf

09 Sep 2018

Thank you all for that advices! I am going to try each one!

scratchnsnifff

10 Sep 2018

Inside of Thor mod bus matrix (left hand single source/destination side)

1. (Source)Midi Key-gate
(Destination) step sequencer->trig

2. (Source) Midi Key -> Note
(Destination) Step Sequencer-> transpose

At the top of Thor dissable the one of two green buttons that says MIDI
This will let the midi come from the step sequencer of Thor and the mod bus routing is done so when you change notes, the sequencer is transposed to the correct key

It makes it so you can musically play your sequence
(Set sequencer to Run)
Program your pattern by either using the gate length dials or the lit up boxes

The synth patch shouldn’t be hard to make by any means

Just make one LFO modulate two of three oscillators pitch by an amount of 3-9 (emulates analog drift sort of)

Add two analog oscillators and one wavetable oscillator (the table oscillator is used so you can hear the subtle inaccuracies of the analog oscillators, it makes the difference in phase really come out and just makes it sound more analog)

Pitch the oscillators down to the bass ranges (-2)
Set up a analog filter using the arrows and i would recommend the first option on the ladder filter or the 12db or even 18db filter slope set the filter envelope to full

Maybe actually set it half way and crank up the filter velocity knob so the keys velocities as programmed by the sequencer, will modulate the envelope amount

Finally set up your filter env with no sustain attack or release and a decay of about 300-700 milliseconds

Use the note section of the sequencer to program octave ups and downs as needed. Or you could use something like korde or kompulsion to be able to see what the pattern looks like, and gain a better visual representation
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

jpf

10 Sep 2018

Thank you all for such specific and great advices! I have been trying several of your solutions and is getting better...

scratchnsnifff

11 Sep 2018

jpf wrote:
10 Sep 2018
Thank you all for such specific and great advices! I have been trying several of your solutions and is getting better...
Now that I think of it. Just find a analog sounding bass patch or make your own 80s sounds are pretty easy to make, most 80s synths except for FM synths, just had standard controls for the most part. The key is finding what to modulate the pitch by, and by how much

But back to my idea, take a bass patch

Use dual arp to make the pattern and set it to up/down on the playback and try to make the timing of the rhythm inside of dual arp’s pattern section
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information