Reason "still" has the greatest sequencer of all time imo!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
NekujaK

10 Mar 2017

I've always felt more comfortable with Reason's sequencer than that of any other DAW. It's just so easy and inviting to use, allowing me make music without having to constantly think about the actual UI. Sure, on a pure features checklist, it would seem Reason's sequencer is lacking when compared to other DAWS, however, it's the streamlined simplicity that makes Reason's sequencer so appealing. The only features I really long for are the ability to crossfade audio clips in the sequencer lanes and automated punch-in/out.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

sdst
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2017

I like the sequencer and piano roll in reason

It would be perfect If they put swing to the grid, i know the regroove mixer

But would prefer swing in the grid

Gulale

10 Mar 2017

This is Studio one 2

Gulale aka Bereket

RandomSkratch

10 Mar 2017

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:I agree with others that the zooming is uncomfortable. I also think that step note entry in the sequencer would be a great addition, which is probably why I enjoyed using trackers back in the day and Renoise nowadays.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
+1 for trackers :-). FT2 here. Those were some fun times! I just loved how precise you could get.

I think I'm the only one that finds automation awkward in Reason. I like Live's take on it better simply because it shows you the positions on either side of your changes.

RandomSkratch

10 Mar 2017

sdst wrote:I like the sequencer and piano roll in reason

It would be perfect If they put swing to the grid, i know the regroove mixer

But would prefer swing in the grid
Can't you commit swing? Are you referring to seeing the notes shift live as you adjust?

OverneathTheSkyBridg

10 Mar 2017

I found note entry to be super quick once you mastered the keyboard shortcuts. Impulse Tracker here!

sdst
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2017

RandomSkratch wrote: Can't you commit swing? Are you referring to seeing the notes shift live as you adjust?
more options to the grid, so you can you program things directly in the sequencer with swing in the grid

And not Need to use the regroove mixer to save cpu

example

RandomSkratch

10 Mar 2017

sdst wrote:
RandomSkratch wrote: Can't you commit swing? Are you referring to seeing the notes shift live as you adjust?
more options to the grid, so you can you program things directly in the sequencer with swing in the grid

And not Need to use the regroove mixer to save cpu

example
Wow that's really cool! So it actually shifts the grid as opposed to the notes, neat!

Another enhancement I'd like is the ability to adjust note velocity from the note itself. Like right click and drag up and down.

Gorgon

10 Mar 2017

RandomSkratch wrote:
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:I agree with others that the zooming is uncomfortable. I also think that step note entry in the sequencer would be a great addition, which is probably why I enjoyed using trackers back in the day and Renoise nowadays.

+1 for trackers :-). FT2 here. Those were some fun times! I just loved how precise you could get.

I think I'm the only one that finds automation awkward in Reason. I like Live's take on it better simply because it shows you the positions on either side of your changes.
Another tracker here! Protracker, Screamtracker 3, FT2, and then moved on to things such as Rebirth.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

mreese80

10 Mar 2017

the swing feature in the grid would be nice. MPC Software is like that. but i don't quantize my drums so i get natural swing. But that would be nice to have. I guess what i should have said that it's easier for me to arrange songs in reason's sequencer. It's so simple. a note repeat option in the sequencer or on the kong would be even nicer. Also, being able to explode tracks from the sequencer menu instead of going into the tool window would be nice.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

RandomSkratch

10 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:the swing feature in the grid would be nice. MPC Software is like that. but i don't quantize my drums so i get natural swing. But that would be nice to have. I guess what i should have said that it's easier for me to arrange songs in reason's sequencer. It's so simple. a note repeat option in the sequencer or on the kong would be even nicer. Also, being able to explode tracks from the sequencer menu instead of going into the tool window would be nice.
I do love using note repeat on Maschine. Plus having it record velocity using aftertouch is sweet.

satyr32

10 Mar 2017

if you play for example the midi piano, you do not see the notes light up in the piano roll. that is horrible.
also it lacks the ability to generate chords. not the best sequencer for me. simple yes, but not the best.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

RandomSkratch

10 Mar 2017

satyr32 wrote:if you play for example the midi piano, you do not see the notes light up in the piano roll. that is horrible.
also it lacks the ability to generate chords. not the best sequencer for me. simple yes, but not the best.
Chords and Scales Player device? Or are you not on v9 yet?

mreese80

10 Mar 2017

satyr32 wrote:if you play for example the midi piano, you do not see the notes light up in the piano roll. that is horrible.

good point
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

PhutureD

13 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:I've use pretty every daw. I own a few myself. I make good music in others as well. But when it comes to the sequencer, reason is still #1. There's isn't a runner up yet imo lol.
I dont know about being the best sequencer, i havent tried them all. What i can say
that it is at least 100 times faster for me to work in than a lot of the of the typical daws,
which i have tried.

Olivier

13 Mar 2017

What is horrible about that ?
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

ltbrunt00

13 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
Revise wrote:As much as I like Reason's simplicity, the sequencer needs work. The zooming, lack of folders, and fixed track heights all need work. You only need to use Ableton for five minutes to realize how much better it could be.

You are right about that. It is horrible, the zooming. I guess i'm talking about the arrangement. It's still dope. I like it more than any other daw.
Like most here I have trialed all the top DAWs. I own and use Studio one 3 and Bitwig daily/weekly depending on what type of song I'm working on. Though there are features in Studio one three and bitwig I like like zooming, Reason hands down is the fast IMO at getting ideas down fast. The pointer selection tool in Studio one and Bitwig get in my way when trying to move and select music clips. Cut in paste, ctrl & Ctrl V seem better in Reason.

I tried to like Ableton, I own version 7, I can never get past the GUI, Bitwig is more reason like to me. But Both don't hold a candle to Reason.
Reason is successful for a Reason. I wish could use reason in another DAW like a native device plugin.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

RandomSkratch

13 Mar 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:
I tried to like Ableton, I own version 7, I can never get past the GUI, Bitwig is more reason like to me. But Both don't hold a candle to Reason.
My feelings the same (except Bitwig, never tried it). I've attempted many times to use and like Live but can't adjust.

The only other "sudo-DAW" I have is Maschine... To which I won't even comment on (other than it's super quick for getting a 4 bar loop down).

Last time I had to use a full blown DAW was Nuendo which I remember kind of liking but not as much as Reason.

theshoemaker

13 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:Seriously? the sequencer is one of the things I like least about Reason

Really? Well, out of all the daw's i've ever used Reason is the best imo.
You should try some iOS Daws. One thing I don't like at all is that I can't customize the piano roll. to only show scaled keys. Have a look at Gadget for Example. A lot of features missing. But this one is amazing! There is no Visualization of scales and modes in Reason natively. I think
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

RandomSkratch

13 Mar 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:Seriously? the sequencer is one of the things I like least about Reason

You should try some iOS Daws. One thing I don't like at all is that I can't customize the piano roll. to only show scaled keys. Have a look at Gadget for Example. A lot of features missing. But this one is amazing! There is no Visualization of scales and modes in Reason natively. I think
I'd personally love to see the Fold Notes feature that Live has implemented in Reason. (only shows the notes you've entered on the piano roll).

vondersulzburg

13 Mar 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
mreese80 wrote:

Yes it would be fine to have a visualization of keys and a fold to key
MacBook Air 512GB SSD 16GB RAM, Reason 11 Suite, LogicProX, FL-Studio, Live10Suite

mreese80

13 Mar 2017

PhutureD wrote:
mreese80 wrote:I've use pretty every daw. I own a few myself. I make good music in others as well. But when it comes to the sequencer, reason is still #1. There's isn't a runner up yet imo lol.
I dont know about being the best sequencer, i havent tried them all. What i can say
that it is at least 100 times faster for me to work in than a lot of the of the typical daws,
which i have tried.

you're right

adfielding

16 Mar 2017

I love the sequencer in Reason, but I suspect that might just be because it's the one I'm most used to at this point... it's very straight-forward and to the point, but I'd still like to see more stuff in there without compromising its simplicity. Things like, for example, a variety of automation curves. Adaptive snapping. You know, little things like that.

mreese80

16 Mar 2017

adfielding wrote:I love the sequencer in Reason, but I suspect that might just be because it's the one I'm most used to at this point... it's very straight-forward and to the point, but I'd still like to see more stuff in there without compromising its simplicity. Things like, for example, a variety of automation curves. Adaptive snapping. You know, little things like that.

It needs so fine tuning, but it is the simplest out of every other daw imo. And i've used them all pretty much.

ltbrunt00

06 Apr 2017

Don't get me wrong when I am in Studio One or Bitwig I am flying around the sequencer very effortlessly.

Its hard to explain, when I am using the sequencer in reason for me it seems like I do less thinking and more creating. sometimes to many features gives you to many things to think about.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

• Information