Reason 9 and NI Komplete 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
twitchy_one

22 Feb 2017

Hello Guys,

I've been thinking about getting both Reason 9 and Komplete and I realize they have a bit of cross-purpose since the NI product can't talk to Reason, at least not easily. I was thinking of using Reaper as the bridge. I also own FL Studio already and might try to make use of some of it as well, if I find anything I can use or salvage from it.

Is there anything wrong with doing this? Does it sound crazy, overkill, or too redundant? Too much hassle? My current thought is maybe to buy just one & hold off buying the other one until I've learned the first one. But then I also think if I had both I'd be able to move between them as desired, whenever a creative urge takes control of the situation.

Best,
Twitchy

QVprod

22 Feb 2017

Komplete fills a few gaps that Reason 9 doesn't, most specifically with Kontakt and sample based instruments. The good news is both can be used with FL Studio if you want so you wouldn't need Reaper. Depending on your current knowledge, trying to learn Reason 9 and the Komplete offerings at the same time can be a bit of a task. That said you could buy both and choose to learn at whatever pace you choose.

It's no odd thing to own both. I have Komplete 10 myself.

twitchy_one

23 Feb 2017

Really appreciate the quick response QVprod. :-) Thanks!

househoppin09

23 Feb 2017

Yeah, Reason and Komplete have very different strengths and weaknesses, and you can use them both with FL Studio at the same time if your system has the juice to handle that. If you can afford to, I'd say go for both. You'll have a pretty much unstoppable rig then. :)

Stock Music Musician

23 Feb 2017

You can also use Reason 9's external midi instrument to control Komplete and then send Komplete's audio into Reason and record it. This maybe slightly more stable than the 2 DAW solution, but there will be a *slight* sound degredation as gets converted. On the plus side, if you have any outboard hardware or effects pedals, you can insert them and get some even better sounds. Here's an in-depth description of how to do it (http://www.reasonguide.com/how-to-use-v ... in-reason/)

I'm a big fan of the synths (massive, monark, analog machines) and the sample based instruments in Komplete.

SA Studio

23 Feb 2017

Stock Music Musician wrote:You can also use Reason 9's external midi instrument to control Komplete and then send Komplete's audio into Reason and record it. This maybe slightly more stable than the 2 DAW solution, but there will be a *slight* sound degredation as gets converted. On the plus side, if you have any outboard hardware or effects pedals, you can insert them and get some even better sounds. Here's an in-depth description of how to do it (http://www.reasonguide.com/how-to-use-v ... in-reason/)

I'm a big fan of the synths (massive, monark, analog machines) and the sample based instruments in Komplete.
So you're saying when the audio comes back into Reason it's somehow converted or altered? Is Reason doing that to the audio?

Why is it degrading once it enters Reason? If this is true, that's really weird about Reason. Audio is audio = it shouldn't be altered unless Reason is processing it in some way - thoughts?

househoppin09

23 Feb 2017

Audio, like any other signal or information, will always be degraded to some degree when converted back and forth between digital and analog. It's not Reason causing the degradation, it's the converters in the audio interface, the cables, etc. The good news is that, in this case, there's no need to actually do the conversion at all--if you want to stay in the box, you can just use a virtual audio cable, and then there won't be any conversion and thus no degradation. However, given the irritating complications involved, OP is probably better off just using FL Studio or Reaper as a host for both Reason and Komplete.

joseph_reusi

06 Jul 2017

I installed Komplete 11 onto my MAC. Pulled up Reason and tried opening a folder for Kontakt VST and other plugins from Komplete ... i got nothing. Some where along the lines of downloading Komplete 11 i might of screwed the location? I was trying to conserve space by transferring Komplete's instruments and such to my external HD. Anyone know how to pull up Komplete plugins on Reason 9.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CephaloPod

06 Jul 2017

joseph_reusi wrote:
06 Jul 2017
I installed Komplete 11 onto my MAC. Pulled up Reason and tried opening a folder for Kontakt VST and other plugins from Komplete ... i got nothing. Some where along the lines of downloading Komplete 11 i might of screwed the location? I was trying to conserve space by transferring Komplete's instruments and such to my external HD. Anyone know how to pull up Komplete plugins on Reason 9.5?

Komplete works fine in Reason, so something is up on your end. What do you mean you got nothing? Didn't see the plugins in Reason? They wouldn't launch? They would launch but couldn't load presets? If it's missing presets, you need to specify the correct file path within Kontakt (and Reaktor, and Guitar Rig). Go into the preferences of those plugins and select the correct path. In some cases, I don't think you can specify your own path (Guitar Rig is pretty picky, if memory serves).
Last edited by CephaloPod on 06 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

BonsaiMacKay

06 Jul 2017

joseph_reusi wrote:
06 Jul 2017

All Komplete plugins must be opened in standalone mode before being used as plugins in a VST/AU/AAX host. After that, close the plugins and open the host.

joseph_reusi

06 Jul 2017

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
joseph_reusi wrote:
06 Jul 2017

All Komplete plugins must be opened in standalone mode before being used as plugins in a VST/AU/AAX host. After that, close the plugins and open the host.

... how do i open in standalone mode?

joseph_reusi

06 Jul 2017

CephaloPod wrote:
joseph_reusi wrote:
06 Jul 2017

Komplete works fine in Reason, so something is up on your end. What do you mean you got nothing? Didn't see the plugins in Reason? They wouldn't launch? They would launch but couldn't load presets? If it's missing presets, you need to specify the correct file path within Kontakt (and Reaktor, and Guitar Rig). Go into the preferences of those plugins and select the correct path. In some cases, I don't think you can specify your own path (Guitar Rig is pretty picky, if memory serves).
In Reason ... i right clicked and selected "instruments" ... clicked on "Native Instruments gmbH" ... selected for instance Kontakt ... and it was a blank folder. Didnt see any picture of presets or plugins. Just blank folders ... tried finding it in my external HD... clicked and got the same result.

BonsaiMacKay

07 Jul 2017

joseph_reusi wrote:
06 Jul 2017
BonsaiMacKay wrote:

Exactly like you would run (I really mean "run" the program in standalone mode) any other software application on your computer. Go to the folder where the plugins are installed and simply click on the program icon of each of them.

joseph_reusi

07 Jul 2017

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
joseph_reusi wrote:
06 Jul 2017

Exactly like you would run (I really mean "run" the program in standalone mode) any other software application on your computer. Go to the folder where the plugins are installed and simply click on the program icon of each of them.
Ohhhh .... I'll try that today ... so does that mean I will be clicking all 46 icons before Reason can recognize it?

BonsaiMacKay

07 Jul 2017

joseph_reusi wrote:
07 Jul 2017
BonsaiMacKay wrote:
Ohhhh .... I'll try that today ... so does that mean I will be clicking all 46 icons before Reason can recognize it?

46? Nope. Only Reaktor, Kontakt, Massive, FM8, Absynth, Battery and Guitar Rig, if I haven't forgotten anything. The other products are found inside Reaktor, Kontakt, Battery, Guitar Rig or are effects and do not have a standalone mode.

joseph_reusi

07 Jul 2017

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
joseph_reusi wrote:
07 Jul 2017

46? Nope. Only Reaktor, Kontakt, Massive, FM8, Absynth, Battery and Guitar Rig, if I haven't forgotten anything. The other products are found inside Reaktor, Kontakt, Battery, Guitar Rig or are effects and do not have a standalone mode.

Ohh ok. Should I have Reason running at the same time going into my external hd and click on the icons. Or just click on the icons in the external hd , then run reason?

joseph_reusi

07 Jul 2017

joseph_reusi wrote:
BonsaiMacKay wrote: 46? Nope. Only Reaktor, Kontakt, Massive, FM8, Absynth, Battery and Guitar Rig, if I haven't forgotten anything. The other products are found inside Reaktor, Kontakt, Battery, Guitar Rig or are effects and do not have a standalone mode.

Ohh ok. Should I have Reason running at the same time going into my external hd and click on the icons. Or just click on the icons in the external hd , then run reason?

I got it to run! Thank you

• Information