Fighting with Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Kenni
Site Admin

18 Nov 2016

Please refrain from low-content posting.

If you have nothing constructive to add, then don't add anything.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Logismos

18 Nov 2016

Kenni is now deciding to delete posts. Ok.
All I replied to Ottostrom was "...stfu,or show something" Show The Facts Underlying.
Trolls beware.

chimp_spanner

18 Nov 2016

I never knew that's what STFU stood for ;) Look the biggest factor in threads like these (and it's by no means exclusive to Reason or any DAW) is *us*. It's human nature. Bias, preference, pride, subjectivity. And maybe a slight tendency to overreact and pick fights. We've all done it. Just chill and take five. Make a cup of tea. Tea fixes everything. Trust me, I'm a Brit. I know.

I think if we're at the point of comparing null tests and looking for a fraction of a decibel of residual noise...we're into the realm of blaming our tools rather than looking to improve our knowledge of how to use them. There are pleeeenty of Logic users who say the same thing about PT; "my mixes just SOUND better in Logic than PT". Or Cubase/Logic. Or Studio One/Reaper. When it's way more likely that they just work better in that environment. Nothing wrong with that. But guys...it's really nothing worth fighting about.

I'd much rather spend my time helping someone, like the OP, to get the mix they want in Reason than spending ages obsessing over null tests and revisiting this tired (and debunked) idea of the Reason sound.

That said, if time allows, I might try and video my best attempt at a thorough and impartial test. It might be..erm...fun?? I dunno. I'll wait until I'm really, really bored ;)

Kenni
Site Admin

18 Nov 2016

Logismos wrote:Kenni is now deciding to delete posts. Ok.
All I replied to Ottostrom was "...stfu,or show something" Show The Facts Underlying.
Trolls beware.
Yeah, I'm such a nazi, I'm sorry. Of course I should permit people telling other people to "stfu", like, you know, real grown ups do, in a thread like this.

I honestly don't understand why you guys are still arguing this. You're trying to find flaws in well documented and well understood processes. Also, I'm still waiting for the explanation that proves how wrong I am, from a guy who's fees I cannot afford.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

8cros

18 Nov 2016

selig wrote: Easiest solution - export the vocal to PT and set the R-Comp the way you like it. Then re-import back to Reason and see how that works for you. I do the opposite when working in PT, exporting to Reason do use my De-Esser and Leveler, then re-importing back to PT for the mix.
:)
My question is drowned unnoticed.
No mind if I repeat?

Why are you doing it? After all, there is no difference. (If it can not be secret). ...back to PT for the mix.
8cros wrote:
Why are you doing it? After all, there is no difference. (If it can not be secret). ...back to PT for the mix.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

chimp_spanner

18 Nov 2016

8cros wrote:
selig wrote: Easiest solution - export the vocal to PT and set the R-Comp the way you like it. Then re-import back to Reason and see how that works for you. I do the opposite when working in PT, exporting to Reason do use my De-Esser and Leveler, then re-importing back to PT for the mix.
No mind if I repeat?

8cros wrote:
(It's pure curiosity :puf_unhappy:).
Because, I am guessing, he likes the de esser and leveller in Reason but wants to mix using other plugins in PT? Plenty of reasons why you'd want to do that without there being any fundamental difference in how the programs handle audio. These days the only times I load things into Cubase are when I need things only Cubase has.

WongoTheSane

18 Nov 2016

8cros wrote:
No mind if I repeat?

8cros wrote:
There's no difference in audio rendering but in this example he's using a PT plugin that's not available in Reason and two Reason plugins that are not available in PT.

8cros

18 Nov 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:
8cros wrote:
No mind if I repeat?

8cros wrote:
(It's pure curiosity :puf_unhappy:).
Because, I am guessing, he likes the de esser and leveller in Reason but wants to mix using other plugins in PT? Plenty of reasons why you'd want to do that without there being any fundamental difference in how the programs handle audio. These days the only times I load things into Cubase are when I need things only Cubase has.
I would like some sort of secret. :?
REASON RESONANCES

EnochLight

18 Nov 2016

Logismos wrote:
EnochLight wrote:seem like you did a complete 180 on me, compared to your initial response (at least, that's what the evidence suggests that you posted above). I guess.. yay? ;)
Wrong again,sorry.
WongoTheSane wrote:
turnaround.png
turnaround.png (243.22 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
:D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Logismos

18 Nov 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:Tea fixes everything. Trust me, I'm a Brit. I know.
I do luv a good 'ol cuppa. =) see ya down the muzzies m8 ..... ;)
8cros wrote:My question is drowned unnoticed.
No mind if I repeat?
Hmm lol get used to that here. There's sooo much noise going on. hahahaaaaaaaa...
Kenni wrote:Also, I'm still waiting for the explanation that proves how wrong I am, from a guy who's fees I cannot afford.
I am really friken expensive m8! rofl... anyways what explaination? about what? maybe you need to prove something here,not me?

Nobody comments on other inconclusive posts that have been made in this comepical topic.

O here we go again.. another troll post from EnochLight - lol. has nothing here.

Logismos

18 Nov 2016

8cros wrote:Why are you doing it? After all, there is no difference. (If it can not be secret). ...back to PT for the mix.
(It's pure curiosity :puf_unhappy:).[/quote]
chimp_spanner wrote:Because, I am guessing, he likes the de esser and leveller in Reason but wants to mix using other plugins in PT? Plenty of reasons why you'd want to do that without there being any fundamental difference in how the programs handle audio. These days the only times I load things into Cubase are when I need things only Cubase has.
I guess not.
It's the same reason you probably use Cubase like plenty of others break out of reason to finalize-there is obviously technical or working advantages to doing that?
People don't just break away from reason for vst use-so why do they have to mix elsewhere if reason supplies all the needs?

EnochLight

18 Nov 2016

Logismos wrote:O here we go again.. another troll post from EnochLight - lol. has nothing here.
Well, all in good fun - and that was actually posted by WongoTheSane many, many pages ago. There's really nothing to add to this thread, IMHO, as it appears you are choosing to ignore all of the evidence posted.

I ask you to be honest with yourself: it's clearly a preference of where we prefer to mix/produce/etc. Some prefer Reason; some prefer other DAW. Simples. No need to complicate this any further. The two videos you posted a page back sums things up nicely, though (even though Reason wasn't featured).

That said, carry on! ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

18 Nov 2016

Logismos wrote: I guess not.
It's the same reason you probably use Cubase like plenty of others break out of reason to finalize-there is obviously technical or working advantages to doing that?
People don't just break away from reason for vst use-so why do they have to mix elsewhere if reason supplies all the needs?
There's no great secret; the only obvious technical/working differences for me are which instruments and effects I have access to. If I need Superior Drummer 2, Guitar Rig, Komplete, etc. I'll just start and finish the project in Cubase because I'd rather not be bound to my stems (or otherwise have to keep constantly quitting, loading, changing and re-exporting). Likewise, if I need what Reason is good at I just start and finish in that. Very occasionally I'll go into Cubase to bounce out something if I really need that sound, but I prefer to mix where the majority of my live processing/triggering is happening.

Obviously some people are happy to work in both at different stages in their production. I'm just sharing my experience. There's no advantage for me sonically between one or the other. It's just which tools I need for the job at hand.

Beyond that, obviously there are some objective advantages (like Cubase having folder tracks, a better MIDI editor, etc.) but that's outside of the scope of this thread.

selig
RE Developer

18 Nov 2016

Kenni wrote:
Logismos wrote:Kenni is now deciding to delete posts. Ok.
Trolls beware.
Yeah, I'm such a nazi, I'm sorry. Of course I should permit people telling other people to "stfu", like, you know, real grown ups do, in a thread like this.

I honestly don't understand why you guys are still arguing this. You're trying to find flaws in well documented and well understood processes. Also, I'm still waiting for the explanation that proves how wrong I am, from a guy who's fees I cannot afford.
Kenni, you can take it from here if you like. I'm not expecting any different behavior, so I'm going to take a break.
It's a shame a few are ruining it for the rest.
Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

18 Nov 2016

People who answered me, just difficult to collect all the quotes together.

You think I do not understand why? I did not want your version of the same ignorance of what I know.
I turned to Selig, because I'm curious. Why are you ruined everything?

I do not care why you answer when the question was not addressed to you. :redface:
I'm interested in actions Developer in practice. I have 3 Selig Re and I wonder.

But everything is spoiled, probably right now everyone is happy. :D
REASON RESONANCES

FlowerSoldier

18 Nov 2016

Attachments
spideman.jpg
spideman.jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 2073 times

Kenni
Site Admin

18 Nov 2016

Closed, because take a wild guess, that's why.

If anyone wants to complain, send me a PM.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information