Live-stream Reason production sesh on Wed 17th

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Stranger.

18 Feb 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 06 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Djstarski

19 Feb 2016

congrats Adam . your music is amazing . i can`t wait until your next streaming session .

adfielding

19 Feb 2016

Thanks guys! It's been a pretty rockin' week ;)

Anyway - as if you hadn't guessed by now, I had a blast live-streaming earlier in the week! As such, I'd like to make it a regular thing. Along with more music making sessions, some of the ideas I've had for future streams include:

Dissection - a little sinister sounding, but I'd basically open up some old tunes and show how I put them together, open to requests.

Building New Sounds - exactly what it sounds like! Making new sounds from field recordings, live instrumentation, synths, and all that fun stuff.

A Little Chat - a chance for me to waffle on about what I've been up to, show off some new material, and a chance for you to ask me stuff while I'm sat in my studio!

...so yeah, basically, I'm thinking of rotating through those, though I'm open to ideas! I'm going to tentatively say I'll do a Dissection session next Wednesday (24th), same time (7pm GMT).

Hope to see some of you again :)

Wook

19 Feb 2016

You really gave this stream a thought, Ad. I'm excited to read this. You could also include a bit about how you go about mixing tracks. You did only high passing in this stream but I guess you did some mixing on the monitors afterwards.

adfielding

19 Feb 2016

Wook wrote:You really gave this stream a thought, Ad. I'm excited to read this. You could also include a bit about how you go about mixing tracks. You did only high passing in this stream but I guess you did some mixing on the monitors afterwards.
Thanks! Honestly, I didn't do a lot of tweaking afterwards. I added a really, really simple Thor patch to fill out a hole in the low-mids, and just adjusted the levels so that it sat with me a little better the following day. I think there's a slight high-cut on the drum hits, and a little low boost on the bass, but - to my knowledge - I didn't really EQ anything beyond that or what I already did in the video :)

Wook

19 Feb 2016

adfielding wrote:Thanks! Honestly, I didn't do a lot of tweaking afterwards. I added a really, really simple Thor patch to fill out a hole in the low-mids, and just adjusted the levels so that it sat with me a little better the following day. I think there's a slight high-cut on the drum hits, and a little low boost on the bass, but - to my knowledge - I didn't really EQ anything beyond that or what I already did in the video :)
I see. It sounded a bit different on Discover so that's why I'm asking. That could have been due to compression on Discover also.

I would also love it if you would share how you learned music theory. Did you take piano lessons or just dug around the web? Some sources?

adfielding

19 Feb 2016

Wook wrote:
adfielding wrote:Thanks! Honestly, I didn't do a lot of tweaking afterwards. I added a really, really simple Thor patch to fill out a hole in the low-mids, and just adjusted the levels so that it sat with me a little better the following day. I think there's a slight high-cut on the drum hits, and a little low boost on the bass, but - to my knowledge - I didn't really EQ anything beyond that or what I already did in the video :)
I see. It sounded a bit different on Discover so that's why I'm asking. That could have been due to compression on Discover also.

I would also love it if you would share how you learned music theory. Did you take piano lessons or just dug around the web? Some sources?
Hmm, that's interesting - yeah, I used the newer version on Discover. Discover, Soundcloud, and the project file are all the same version with the changes I listed above, so they'll sound a little different to the video but not drastically so... I literally spent about five minutes tweaking it on Thursday morning :)

As for how I learned music theory... erm, I didn't, haha! I mean, I downloaded some material in the early 00s that was more of a primer than anything else, and I studied it a little at university, but my knowledge of music theory is pretty laughable to be honest. I think the best way I can explain it is that my knowledge of real music theory is pretty hap-hazard, but I guess I have a sense of what should sound "right" when I'm playing or recording something which I guess comes naturally from doing it a lot. I've never had any traditional instrument training or anything like that, though.

On a related note, someone mentioned on Facebook that it might be a neat idea to do a stream about how I got started and stuff like that during one of my more "talky" streams. Being the big ol' narcissist that I am I thought that it was a neat idea and I guess this is the kind of thing I'd like to touch on during that :)

Wook

19 Feb 2016

adfielding wrote:Hmm, that's interesting - yeah, I used the newer version on Discover. Discover, Soundcloud, and the project file are all the same version with the changes I listed above, so they'll sound a little different to the video but not drastically so... I literally spent about five minutes tweaking it on Thursday morning :)

As for how I learned music theory... erm, I didn't, haha! I mean, I downloaded some material in the early 00s that was more of a primer than anything else, and I studied it a little at university, but my knowledge of music theory is pretty laughable to be honest. I think the best way I can explain it is that my knowledge of real music theory is pretty hap-hazard, but I guess I have a sense of what should sound "right" when I'm playing or recording something which I guess comes naturally from doing it a lot. I've never had any traditional instrument training or anything like that, though.

On a related note, someone mentioned on Facebook that it might be a neat idea to do a stream about how I got started and stuff like that during one of my more "talky" streams. Being the big ol' narcissist that I am I thought that it was a neat idea and I guess this is the kind of thing I'd like to touch on during that :)
Ha! Thanks for this. It makes me feel less discouraged about all this brain jungle when it comes to music theory.

That sounds like an excellent idea. Looking forward to all of your future streams. I'm sure there will be something to learn.

Arrant
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2016

Excellent work, looking forward to the next session :)

Could you say something about how you went about getting your music placed in the trailer, do you have any recommendations on where to start?
Which licensing companies are good etc.

adfielding

20 Feb 2016

Arrant wrote:Excellent work, looking forward to the next session :)

Could you say something about how you went about getting your music placed in the trailer, do you have any recommendations on where to start?
Which licensing companies are good etc.
Thanks for checking it out, glad you liked it!

I'm not really at liberty to talk much about that trailer album at the moment (it's an... interesting situation, at the moment), but if I end up doing a stream/video in which I talk about how I got started then I imagine my foray into production music will be something I touch upon :)

That said - I will say that, in terms of non-exclusive libraries, Pump/Getty Images have always been pretty reliable in getting me regular placements over the past decade or so. Their cut is kind of gross (and has been for a few years now), but a smaller cut of something is still better than a larger cut of nothing.

I had my first really solid non-exclusive placement through Music Dealers, which was the main instigator in me deciding to take my music full-time. For better placements you'll want to be checking out doing exclusive work for libraries/labels, and that hinges entirely on what kind of music and what kind of placements you want to focus on.

Sinistereo

20 Feb 2016

Thanks, Adam. Very informative and entertaining - one of the best tutorials on advanced Reason techniques I've seen yet. I finally "get" how to use Blocks in Reason.

Love that you took the time and effort to do this - really can't thank you enough. I eagerly await our next glimpse into your process. :)

adfielding

21 Feb 2016

Thanks to everyone who checked it out, I really appreciate it!

I'm going to be doing another stream on the 24th (Wednesday) at 7pm GMT, this time I'll be dissecting an existing tune. I expect it to be a bit shorter than the first one but I guess we'll see how it goes! As for which song - I have an idea, but I'm still totally open to suggestions.

theshoemaker

21 Feb 2016

Just watching the recording. Love it! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your next session
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

ReasonUser

21 Feb 2016

I really enjoyed the production video. Please continue - you've got another fan!

• Information