No love for Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2015

Anaconda producer (WorldChanger):
... may need to right click to unmute

submonsterz

19 Nov 2015

avasopht wrote:Anaconda producer (WorldChanger):
... may need to right click to unmute
Wasn't the actual comercial release recorded here ??http://www.glenwoodstudios.com/The_Stud ... udios.html

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2015

submonsterz wrote: Wasn't the actual comercial release recorded here ??http://www.glenwoodstudios.com/The_Stud ... udios.html
No idea what studio the vocals were recorded at, but he has plenty of videos on his account where you can see the timeline showing the music was created entirely within Reason. What was you thinking about the studio? Just curious?

Some tracks may use other DAWs (he does have Studio One installed). Either way, he's shown enough of what can be done with Reason alone - as has Dj Khalil, who has produced tracks on Eminem's album, the Compton soundtrack and various others (although he was using Reason at that time I do recall him having some complaints with v6, so it's anybody's guess whether he still uses it as much).

Ether way, it's enough to show you what can be done. Hip Hop is a tough nut to crack.

submonsterz

19 Nov 2015

avasopht wrote:
submonsterz wrote: Wasn't the actual comercial release recorded here ??http://www.glenwoodstudios.com/The_Stud ... udios.html
No idea what studio the vocals were recorded at, but he has plenty of videos on his account where you can see the timeline showing the music was created entirely within Reason. What was you thinking about the studio? Just curious?

Some tracks may use other DAWs (he does have Studio One installed). Either way, he's shown enough of what can be done with Reason alone - as has Dj Khalil, who has produced tracks on Eminem's album, the Compton soundtrack and various others (although he was using Reason at that time I do recall him having some complaints with v6, so it's anybody's guess whether he still uses it as much).

Ether way, it's enough to show you what can be done. Hip Hop is a tough nut to crack.
From what I get they were re recorded at studio level and re mixed on other equipment so if that's the case reason was the scratch pad once again not the piece of software that produced the comercial release . Unless these people actually come and either support or otherwise say different ill go on what's in front of me that reason was scratch pad and re recording made in studio for the release of it . That's all ;).

EnochLight

19 Nov 2015

If a Gibson or Fender is a "scratchpad" in the studio, does it make it any less valuable or powerful for us a musician? I mean, I realize we like real-world use cases demonstrating Reason being used from A all the way to Z, but more often than not - most pro studios are going to finish mixing down anything and everything in Pro Tools anyway. What difference does it make if I used Reason, Logic, Live, Studio One, Cubase, Bitwig, etc - to write?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

submonsterz

19 Nov 2015

EnochLight wrote:If a Gibson or Fender is a "scratchpad" in the studio, does it make it any less valuable or powerful for us a musician? I mean, I realize we like real-world use cases demonstrating Reason being used from A all the way to Z, but more often than not - most pro studios are going to finish mixing down anything and everything in Pro Tools anyway. What difference does it make if I used Reason, Logic, Live, Studio One, Cubase, Bitwig, etc - to write?
Well for one it would be a good solid argument to use with people on reasons strengths . To put it in the category it fits best as the argument for reason.
People who buy into daws etc etc are normally wanting something that does the a - z reason scores almost zero on that front as where as some of the list you presented right there are being used or can be used and have had success at being used from a - z .
That's the difference there .
I've not once said it can't be used or have place I'm making the point on things said here to argue reasons corner and it would be best done on its actual strengths other than mostly non truths.
That would make them arguments as lame as a couple of those in that thread.
When reason is being used from a -z for mainstream commercial hits by known established names then by all means go ahead prove new sayers wrong but until that time best keep it for what it is and nothing more as it would only add to its obviously laughable status amongst the likes of some of the other threads users .
That don't help or boost reason and maybe open a few eyes to where it can be used still as a valid tool in the process of things.

jonheal

19 Nov 2015

submonsterz wrote:
jonheal wrote:Not that commercial application has any bearing whatsoever on the validity of Reason as a platform for creating music and/or sound design, but you wished for a link, so here is one from another current thread:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/tod ... ack-573300
When was his last mainstream commercial hit ??
And did it use reason ???.
http://www.billboard.com/artist/430059/ ... tion=false
Why does it even matter???!!!???
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

submonsterz

19 Nov 2015

jonheal wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
jonheal wrote:Not that commercial application has any bearing whatsoever on the validity of Reason as a platform for creating music and/or sound design, but you wished for a link, so here is one from another current thread:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/tod ... ack-573300
When was his last mainstream commercial hit ??
And did it use reason ???.
http://www.billboard.com/artist/430059/ ... tion=false
Why does it even matter???!!!???
It matters if what you quote is irrelavent and is not actually a quote with weight in the first place . ?.
If you post it then at least prove what you say the quote is actually claiming . Other wise its just an irrelavent statement with no wieght which in turn would make it not valid as a true statement of facts .That's all

jonheal

19 Nov 2015

I was not clear with my statement. What I meant was, why does it matter whether Reason was used to create 1 commercial recording, 10,000 or none at all? Why is MAKING MONEY the only thing that legitimizes it?

submonsterz

19 Nov 2015

jonheal wrote:I was not clear with my statement. What I meant was, why does it matter whether Reason was used to create 1 commercial recording, 10,000 or none at all? Why is MAKING MONEY the only thing that legitimizes it?
It doesn't .
But why people make stupid statements to go post commercial tracks using it . I could go post tracks that could be called commercial that are for sale that use caustic 3 on the mobile that people have done and many other ones made with programs that just don't get a look in from most people and just laughed at . But it's the mainstream commercial releases that get the attention from wanna be producers etc not the ones that sir on beat port making a couple of dollars etc. If people want to use an argument use one with weight and on commercial it's mainstream that carries weight .

jonheal

19 Nov 2015

I see your point.

Personally, I use it for fun and for whatever artistic expression I can muster. And really, I have no idea how it fares in the commercial world. I hope Proellerhead itself makes enough money selling it to at least stay in business. Beyond that, I guess I have no opinion. :puf_smile:

EnochLight

19 Nov 2015

Is this being overthought too much? Prop's marketing machine has already done all of the work for you - just refer people to their "Artist Stories" blog and you will be presented with a plethora of professional musicians, most of them signed on labels, doing regular production in Reason.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dvdrtldg

19 Nov 2015

I didn't get very far with that thread. These days, whenever someone talking about Reason uses the word "reason" and then follows with no pun intended ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) I have to get up & go for a little walk

submonsterz

19 Nov 2015

EnochLight wrote:Is this being overthought too much? Prop's marketing machine has already done all of the work for you - just refer people to their "Artist Stories" blog and you will be presented with a plethora of professional musicians, most of them signed on labels, doing regular production in Reason.
I looked before and went through myself on ones that had comercial clout but I didn't see any that were a-z in reason.
Can you point me to the ones that are please as I've obviously over looked them a few times .

True

19 Nov 2015

submonsterz wrote:I didn't see any that were a-z in reason.
I think it's highly unlikely you will find any "commercial-level" recordings that are done 100% in Reason because at the very least mastering is almost always done separately from tracking and mixing at the commercial level. The likelihood that the artist, the mixing engineer and the mastering engineer will all be using Reason is probably, I would think, quite low since ProTools and Ableton are both far more popular among professionals -- someone in that chain is bound to have a pet VST plugin they want to throw in along the way.

EnochLight

19 Nov 2015

True wrote:
submonsterz wrote:I didn't see any that were a-z in reason.
I think it's highly unlikely you will find any "commercial-level" recordings that are done 100% in Reason because at the very least mastering is almost always done separately from tracking and mixing at the commercial level. The likelihood that the artist, the mixing engineer and the mastering engineer will all be using Reason is probably, I would think, quite low since ProTools and Ableton are both far more popular among professionals -- someone in that chain is bound to have a pet VST plugin they want to throw in along the way.
These are my thoughts on this as well.

EnochLight

19 Nov 2015

submonsterz wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Is this being overthought too much? Prop's marketing machine has already done all of the work for you - just refer people to their "Artist Stories" blog and you will be presented with a plethora of professional musicians, most of them signed on labels, doing regular production in Reason.
I looked before and went through myself on ones that had comercial clout but I didn't see any that were a-z in reason.
Can you point me to the ones that are please as I've obviously over looked them a few times .
It's been a while since I followed it along, and I can't be arsed to go through it again. I just remember when I did follow it, I regularly saw - literally - titans of the industry using it. These people may mean nothing to you, but their work cannot be disregarded (Hank Shocklee, Adrock, Bon Harris, Liam Howlett, etc) - these were hugely influential in their various genres and have all admitted to using Reason at one time or another since it came about.

I know it would really mean a lot to you to find a current commercial musician using Reason a-to-z though (but I honestly have no idea). Seeing as how Reason only had audio recording added with Reason 6, and really only started to flourish as a fully fledged DAW with Reason 7 and 8, I would guess that the chain has always - ALWAYS - included Pro Tools (or the like) for mastering and final engineering up until that point - assuming the project was done in a commercial studio.

In other words, it's only been 2-3 years at best since Reason has begun to be able to (arguably) handle that sort of workload. I doubt you'll find many projects that have relied solely on it. You do have to remember that Reason is huge with bedroom producers still to this day. :D

selig
RE Developer

19 Nov 2015

I've never understood the need to prove the value/quality of a tool by giving examples of productions that used ONLY that one tool. I'm not sure there's many records out there that only used a single product or a single companies products start to finish. Not saying they don't exist (though I can't think of one at present), just saying they are by far the exception rather than the rule.

For me, any product that has a role in a major production, any role, has proven it's value (if that's the sort of thing you use to measure value). Any instrument or plugin that I've invested in that makes it to a record has proven it's value to me, FWIW.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

SA Studio

19 Nov 2015

Ummm....

Hi Everyone.

It's me, Cricket. How's everyone been? Things been a bit better for the Reason community since the shut down of the PUF, right?

This post has made someone go to that forum and start impersonating me. There is now someone in that thread at AudioSex or whatever site that is, that's calling themselves me.

Why? Apparently someone still hates me.

I'm sponsored by a premier developer these days, and I'm not causing anyone trouble. If anything, the same people who used to cause me trouble apparently still are. It's been a long cycle of bullying and it apparently isnt' done yet.

So if anyone else in this community would like to start showing an olive branch, let's see em = hold em up. Because I'm not your enemy at all. I'm just about to release a new CD made entirely with Reason and it's very good.

You can find me on Facebook under Anthony Cusenza (RasCricket) - I've got nothing to hide and that certainly is NOT me over in that AudioSex forum. For some reason my hotmail account was "banned" from there - whoever is doing this isn't a cool person.

So there it is guys = I had planned on waiting to join here when my CD was finished or after the PUF was closed a year or two, whichever came first. Sad to say the impostor case brought me here, but maybe its a good chance for people to see who is NOT a monster....

Cuz I'm not. Impersonating me is just lame. :(

So with hurt feelings, I raise a hand and wave and be like "Err, hi guys. :( It's me" = I've missed a lot of you guys and was really looking forward to a nice return.

Let's burn out the impostor and find out who it is!! :thumbs_up:
Last edited by SA Studio on 19 Nov 2015, edited 1 time in total.

SA Studio

19 Nov 2015

For reals tho...

I've missed some of you guys :( = I've had nice successes with Reason since the PUF and really happy with 8.3 :D

Let's move forward in a positive way :D

Hi Ostermilk :) :thumbs_up:

Marco Raaphorst

19 Nov 2015

Todd Rundgren uses Reason for many years.
Stromae uses Reason on his super innovative and hugely successful albums.

I used Reason for this track which has gotten over 2.8 million views in 3 weeks time:

Benedict
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2015

Nice Mr Raaphorst. Except there is no Reason Sound in that mix at all.

Really it is silly how people behave over which tool is the good one. Would you call a Gibson Les Paul useless rubbish because it doesn't have MIDI? Would you call "Stairway To Heaven" a crap song because it doesn't have a a wub bass? Is it a crap record because it wasn't mastered in Pro Tools?

No.

Surely we should have better things to occupy ourselves with like learning the tools we do have. Seems to me the most vocal in complaining that tool X doesn't have feature Y are the ones who are simply frightened to release their own work. No features (past personal courage) will fix that one.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

gak

19 Nov 2015

That's it, now we can has cat picz:

"no love for reason, I has a sad"

selig
RE Developer

19 Nov 2015

For this video I used Reason for all sounds except for the live strings/brass, which are doubling the samples from Orkester, Euphonics, and Miroslav ReFills (the samples are as loud as the real strings!). Can you hear the "Reason Sound"? ;)
I used Logic for Video sync via ReWire.
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2015

selig wrote:I've never understood the need to prove the value/quality of a tool by giving examples of productions that used ONLY that one tool.
Audio manipulation and mixing can seen pretty elusive so I'm guessing they need proof that it's REALLY possible to create a professional sound in this one package.

• Information