Outside of Reason....

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Soft Enerji

06 Apr 2015

....what else do we use?

I use Sonar X3 Producer (still on the fence with the subscription to Platinum but will probably jump soon) with all the Pro Channel plugs, not to mention the vast array of vst plugs that come as standard with the Pro edition. I have Melodyne Editor and most recently Ozone 6.1. Oh and I almost forgot, I have ReCycle which I don't use very often but when I feel like twisting the shit out of something it's a heap of fun :) .

Cheers

Mark

The Tone Ranger

06 Apr 2015

Pro Tools is my other DAW which I use mostly for mixing these days. I also use it for Reaktor, which I use for making samples to use in Reason. Recycle comes in handy here too.

Then there's the iPad and iPhone with Korg Gadget and some other apps I don't use as much. I like starting stuff with Gadget by making a few loops and then finishing it up on the Mac.

I also have some hardware, which includes a Eurorack modular, Moog Minitaur, Korg EMX and a few things I'm not really using anymore. I might just sell all my hardware except for the modular though.

RequiemMachine

06 Apr 2015

Outside of Reason I use Logic Pro. I use it for recording midi performance from my V-Drums and sound for film mostly. I'm thinking about picking up FL Studio when 12's Mac version is available, though.
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Gaja

06 Apr 2015

I use Reason exclusively for anything music. If someone gives me a pro tools session, I'll export it all to stems and mix in Reason. I use ProTools mainly for film related work, because Reason doesn't work for foley (also protools is the standard DAW in audio post, so sessions are compatible).
I also own a copy of Logic Pro 7 (which was 1000$ back then) and Cubase, which nobody at work ever uses.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

zeebot

06 Apr 2015

I use ipad.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

EnochLight

06 Apr 2015

Studio One. I used Reaper for years but hated working in it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Hydrosonic

06 Apr 2015

Ableton Live 9, Maschine 2 mk2, Komplete 8, Access Virus TI.  I haven't used Reason since I got Maschine and Komplete.

tumar

06 Apr 2015

Ableton Live, Studio One, NI Komplete 9, Virus TI, Korg Analog Collection and some. Reason is rewired to Studio One, never use it as standalone DAW.

rvman

06 Apr 2015

Reason and Reaper. Although I haven't used Reaper since last year. The more I use Reason, the less I use anything else.

I have Studio One Artist but don't use it anymore. I'm eager to see version 3. I like the program, but Reason gets my time.

I have EZ Drummer 2, but again, Reason has bumped it out of my life for the time being.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

syncanonymous

07 Apr 2015

I have had a workflow to use Reason4 as my main composing program for quite some time and have just upgraded to Reason 8 a few weeks ago and Reason8 does much more in one software than my previous way of working.

My multi-track software is SawStudio. I use Adobe Soundbooth CS4 (because I have Master Collection CS4) for Spectral viewing and all things MP3. WaveLab LE7 I used a lot for forensics and all other export formats other than MP3 but I have found that version of WaveLab often exports a corrupted header, might be due to so vsts, I haven't tracked it down. Recycle for fast slicing. Rebirth I haven't used in several years, but did use it back in the day. The last version of PT I owned was 6.8 which I still have running with an mbox2 on a WinXP machine when needed. Nowadays my audio interface is a PreSonus FireStudio Mobile.

A few VSTs worth mentioning: Acon DeVerberate and Restore, Fab Filter DeEsser.

I just bought an Akai MK225 to update from my old Evolution UC33 & 249C.

I'm a guitaristfirst, so my main instrument is a Gibson Byrdland 1974/75 w Fender CyberTwin. Other guitars:
1991 Heartfield RR8 (Japan)
Brandoni assembled from vintage parts Eko Phantom XII
1988 Fender Strat (copper lined/modded)(Japan)
2003 Epiphone LP 7-string
2006 Guild D50 (Rosewood) (China)
original DigiTech Whammy Pedal and a GSP2101

I used to record into Saw-slice in Recycle-compose in Reason-export to WAV-multiTrack in Saw. I will probably continue overdubs in Saw because CPU hit is so much lower than anything else as Saw sits outside of windows. I have to experiment to see, yet I am guessing I will get many more audio tracks using Saw than solely working with Reason.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

rvman

07 Apr 2015

I still have Saw Studio Basic but haven't used it in years. The program still blows my mind by how fast and solid it is.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

submonsterz

07 Apr 2015

All I think when I read these threads
is if reason was so all you need as people state constantly then you would not have or have need for anything else outside the reason box lol.
says a lot to me that it's still not all it can be by a very very long shot. And neither are it's pluggins as yet . ;) .

zakalwe

07 Apr 2015

I've got renoise and also reaper, zebra 2 and all the freebie VST, bootsy's, short circuit etc.

renoise is the joy of sitting at your computer keyboard making music.  it's a tracker on steroids.

reaper is 'wireless' to reason's 'wires'.  looks nothing like reason but the routing is really next level and it's magnificently efficient.  i love audio in it too.  being able to drag highlighted sections of audio out of the browser into a lane is really amazing, especially if you have any old sample CDs you can't be arsed grinding through in the editor.  it's really 'sand-boxey' though, you have to have an idea of how you want your DAW to work and apply that with your own key-bindings, mouse modifiers and actions for it to really shine.

submonsterz

07 Apr 2015

zakalwe wrote:I've got renoise and also reaper, zebra 2 and all the freebie VST, bootsy's, short circuit etc.

renoise is the joy of sitting at your computer keyboard making music.  it's a tracker on steroids.

reaper is 'wireless' to reason's 'wires'.  looks nothing like reason but the routing is really next level and it's magnificently efficient.  i love audio in it too.  being able to drag highlighted sections of audio out of the browser into a lane is really amazing, especially if you have any old sample CDs you can't be arsed grinding through in the editor.  it's really 'sand-boxey' though, you have to have an idea of how you want your DAW to work and apply that with your own key-bindings, mouse modifiers and actions for it to really shine.
reaper can be customized virtually to how you want and need it to be. It's a beast of a program .
I'm looking at getting it to be my workhorse very soon reason will be back seat from then on For me .
It has most things all ready in the box step sequencers proper midi And editing. And proper audio editing and sequencing and the multitude of free VSTs that match and surpass res are still in vast amount And a lot are top quality too. Not as stable as reason but it's not that unstable either. Plus it's save system is much better and if used right you never loose much to get back To.
renoise is wicked to but I chose to go a different way to scroller's but was so simular to sound studio I used to use and didn't want to have to have two ways of working .

EnochLight

07 Apr 2015

Make no mistake: these other DAW are about as inspiring as a wet blanket in comparison to Reason for me. I only use Studio One for the same reason I used Reaper: to have some select VST that aren't available as Rack Extensions yet. The moment they become available as RE's, I'd dump Studio One like the plague. I'm willing to wager there are others who feel the same. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

zakalwe

07 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:reaper can be customized virtually to how you want and need it to be. It's a beast of a program . I'm looking at getting it to be my workhorse very soon reason will be back seat from then on For me . It has most things all ready in the box step sequencers proper midi And editing. And proper audio editing and sequencing and the multitude of free VSTs that match and surpass res are still in vast amount And a lot are top quality too. Not as stable as reason but it's not that unstable either. Plus it's save system is much better and if used right you never loose much to get back To. renoise is wicked to but I chose to go a different way to scroller's but was so simular to sound studio I used to use and didn't want to have to have two ways of working .
the grass-is-greener thing with DAWs is you think they're awesome and make life easier until you run into that one thing that annoys you.  reaper has the least of that of anything i have, especially since i can always find that extra action somewhere, especially with the SWS stuff.  it'll never beat reason for being so tightly integrated but it kind of wins everywhere else.

submonsterz

07 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:Make no mistake: these other DAW are about as inspiring as a wet blanket in comparison to Reason for me. I only use Studio One for the same reason I used Reaper: to have some select VST that aren't available as Rack Extensions yet. The moment they become available as RE's, I'd dump Studio One like the plague. I'm willing to wager there are others who feel the same. ;)
reaper is far supirior to reason in every way full stop all except the stability I'm afraid.
Even down to its routing it even can rout better than the combi with its routing method it's very easy when you know how . to be honest reason has a long way to go to come close to its features and flexibility. Also in its customizations .
and price point for features in comparison to Reason and res just blows it totally out of the water royally . Reason's sequencing window is probally all ill miss to be honest but even that I can customized reaper to look and act almost identical
too And on steroids too. Reaper is all about setting it up in the first place and actually looking at the scripts and stuff available . Once you do that it's hard to knock from the reason point of view to be honest.

Gorilla Texas

07 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:Make no mistake: these other DAW are about as inspiring as a wet blanket in comparison to Reason for me. I only use Studio One for the same reason I used Reaper: to have some select VST that aren't available as Rack Extensions yet. The moment they become available as RE's, I'd dump Studio One like the plague. I'm willing to wager there are others who feel the same. ;)
submonsterz wrote: reaper is far supirior to reason in every way full stop all except the stability I'm afraid. Even down to its routing it even can rout better than the combi with its routing method it's very easy when you know how . to be honest reason has a long way to go to come close to its features and flexibility. Also in its customizations . and price point for features in comparison to Reason and res just blows it totally out of the water royally . Reason's sequencing window is probally all ill miss to be honest but even that I can customized reaper to look and act almost identical too And on steroids too. Reaper is all about setting it up in the first place and actually looking at the scripts and stuff available . Once you do that it's hard to knock from the reason point of view to be honest.
I have to agree with enoch on this about reaper I can't stand it either. The only reason I haven't deleted it is because I think it's cool to have a bunch of DAW icons on my desktop lol.

Where are all these features everybody talks about in Reaper because couldn't find it? The menu list aren't that long. 

zakalwe

07 Apr 2015

Mr44Hz wrote:Where are all these features everybody talks about in Reaper because couldn't find it? The menu list aren't that long. 
it's not the most intuitive thing ever made.  most of the cool, reason like stuff is accessed in I/O and env/automation on the tracks.  like say you want to do a reason type trick such as take the audio of one track and use it to control an EQ gain on another?  you can do that through parameter mod using an audio control signal as an input.

EnochLight

07 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote: reaper is far supirior to reason in every way full stop all except the stability I'm afraid. Even down to its routing it even can rout better than the combi with its routing method it's very easy when you know how . to be honest reason has a long way to go to come close to its features and flexibility. Also in its customizations . and price point for features in comparison to Reason and res just blows it totally out of the water royally . Reason's sequencing window is probally all ill miss to be honest but even that I can customized reaper to look and act almost identical too And on steroids too. Reaper is all about setting it up in the first place and actually looking at the scripts and stuff available . Once you do that it's hard to knock from the reason point of view to be honest.
That's your opinion.  Mine is that Reaper is uninspiring and a pain in the ass to get around.  I much prefer Studio One over Reaper, and it hasn't received an actual feature update in years.

submonsterz

07 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:
That's your opinion.  Mine is that Reaper is uninspiring and a pain in the ass to get around.  I much prefer Studio One over Reaper, and it hasn't received an actual feature update in years.
it's also an opinion of a lot of users I know and talk to who are reason users soon not to be or have all ready defected and yes some of them swore by reason as much as you before actually learning how to set up and use reaper properly And not just a skimming over the surface and giving up before discovering it's depths beyond the outside Shell.
I've not found one thing reason can do better or it cannot do yet everything is better and more fuller from my playing With it. The honest question to yourself is have you run the rabbit hole in both programs to actually make true judgement. And if yes I'd like to hear all it cannot do that reason can to go back down the rabbit hole in it to confirm it cannot be done in reaper . :) .

EnochLight

07 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:it's also an opinion of a lot of users I know and talk to who are reason users soon not to be or have all ready defected and yes some of them swore by reason as much as you before actually learning how to set up and use reaper properly And not just a skimming over the surface and giving up before discovering it's depths beyond the outside Shell. I've not found one thing reason can do better or it cannot do yet everything is better and more fuller from my playing With it. The honest question to yourself is have you run the rabbit hole in both programs to actually make true judgement. And if yes I'd like to hear all it cannot do that reason can to go back down the rabbit hole in it to confirm it cannot be done in reaper . :) .
You seem to have me confused with someone who hardly used Reaper.  I used it as my sole VST host for almost 4 years before dumping it.  Trust me, I was quite certain it was exactly what I said it was for my use.   ;)  And in all honestly, funny enough, most of the users I know and talk to lament how awful Reaper is to work in for the same reasons as I do: uninspiring. Studio One works much better for me.  

Regardless, you seem to be comparing Reaper and Reason, but I am talking about an alternative host to Reason - which for me - is Studio One.   

My judgement can't be anymore true than that.   :)

But if you'd like to discuss things that Reason can do that Reaper can't, by all means please - go right ahead.

submonsterz

07 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:it's also an opinion of a lot of users I know and talk to who are reason users soon not to be or have all ready defected and yes some of them swore by reason as much as you before actually learning how to set up and use reaper properly And not just a skimming over the surface and giving up before discovering it's depths beyond the outside Shell. I've not found one thing reason can do better or it cannot do yet everything is better and more fuller from my playing With it. The honest question to yourself is have you run the rabbit hole in both programs to actually make true judgement. And if yes I'd like to hear all it cannot do that reason can to go back down the rabbit hole in it to confirm it cannot be done in reaper . :) .
EnochLight wrote:
You seem to have me confused with someone who hardly used Reaper.  I used it as my sole VST host for almost 4 years before dumping it.  Trust me, I was quite certain it was exactly what I said it was for my use.   ;)  And in all honestly, funny enough, most of the users I know and talk to lament how awful Reaper is to work in for the same reasons as I do:
EnochLight wrote:uninspiring.
EnochLight wrote: Studio One works much better for me.  

Regardless, you seem to be comparing Reaper and Reason, but I am talking about an alternative host to Reason - which for me - is Studio One.   

My judgement can't be anymore true than that.   :)

Yes my comparison is a direct reason v reaper
I've not got studio one and it doesn't appeal to me to go get it to be honest.
So yes my comparison is reason v reaper
and I'd like to actually hear from you, you're all the what is better and why in the two.
as you say you have extensively used both .
it's not a piss contest he said she said thing
I'm asking for you're solid chunks of info as to why and how and in what way.
If it's just you can't get to grips with its interface then I'd like to know what bits you found not as good.
I all ready stated the only two things that concerned me in the reaper v reason conflict I had in my mind .
Which were stability
which has become less of an issue more and more and finding with reason and res I'm starting to have on par equally amounts of glitchy bad behaviour in the way I use the programs.
And also I will miss the sequencer window mainly because it's so familiar to me in reason now.
as comming from vertical scroller's to reason's window I made shure I got to know it inside out . It's just a little different in reaper and far more in depth if I like it to be .
I'm shure if I put the on three years into reapers sequencer ill find it as easy as I have learning the reason one for that time .

EnochLight

07 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:Yes my comparison is a direct reason v reaper I've not got studio one and it doesn't appeal to me to go get it to be honest. So yes my comparison is reason v reaper and I'd like to actually hear from you, you're all the what is better and why in the two. as you say you have extensively used both . 

Well, this thread is about what we use outside of Reason, hence my preference to use Studio One (and clearly your preference to use Reaper).  But if you want to add to the things that Reason can do that Reaper can't, well OK then:

Let's see, what can Reason do that Reaper can't (aside from rock solid stability)?
  • Inspiring rack paradigm that no other DAW has replicated to date
  • Easy visual connectivity to all rack devices by flipping the rack and dragging cables 
  • Massively efficient when using stock devices alone (though Reaper is pretty damn efficient by itself)
  • Massive collection of stock devices with huge sound library ITB
  • Unified 3rd party plugin store that allows you to sync all 3rd party plugins in one easy process (go to your account, hit sync, done) just so long as you have Internet access
  • Unified 3rd party plugin UID standard, so there is absolutely no need to relearn new browsers, button arrangements, etc.  All 3rd party devices feel like a native "rack citizen". 
Those are the things that occur to me off of my head, and the things that really keep me inside Reason as much as possible.  That said, what can Reaper do that Reason can't?  How about:
  • Host VST
  • Much more advanced MIDI editing
  • Much more advanced linear sequencer
See, those 4 years I spent in it really were used.  I just couldn't stand looking at it in comparison to Reason, and again - found it completely uninspiring.   ;)
submonsterz wrote:it's not a piss contest he said she said thing I'm asking for you're solid chunks of info as to why and how and in what way.
Excellent, then you will understand that this is my opinion, as everything you said previous is your opinion.  We don't have to agree with each other.  And that's OK.  

ionly

07 Apr 2015

I'm with Enochlight on this one: Reason for creation and mixing, Studio One for mastering. Used Cubase for years until I jumped ship to R7 a couple of years ago, and it has now become my central DAW (mainly due to its bright/colourful aesthetic and overall ease-of-use). S1 bores the arse off me (UI/workflow), but has a very fine mastering suite. I've had Reaper for a few years also, however, I always seem to gravitate back to Reason - yes, its audio-editing is spartan in comparison imo, but it excels at kick-starting/getting ideas down. Integrating it into a live setting is a breeze also, and bloody great fun.

• Information