Korg Nano series

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chimp_spanner

10 Mar 2017

Sooo who's using these? I have an Oxygen 61 but really for what I do most of the time, it's overkill. So I've replaced it with the NanoKey2, as well as a Kontrol2 and Pad2.

Key, I'm pretty happy with. It feels like a qwerty but, I can live with it. Kontrol, not much to moan about. The pots and faders are smooth, and it's useful in Reason for sure.

But the Pad...I dunno if I've got a duff unit but it's awful. Soft-medium hits just simply do not get registered. I have to properly smash it to get a note out. Has anyone else had this experience? Is it "normal" or should it feel better than that? I'm gonna return it and I wanna know if I should get it exchanged or just refunded!

motuscott

10 Mar 2017

Got two nanokontrols. One does what you'd expect (controls the mixer). The other is a load of knobs, buttons and faders that gets attached to whatever instrument has focus. I hate mousing to tweak virtual amps so it works well for that.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

chimp_spanner

11 Mar 2017

Yeah the Kontrol is great, really no complaints there at all. But the Pad has to go back. Totally unusable :(

OverneathTheSkyBridg

16 Mar 2017

How is playing the Nanokey? I'm used to regular keyboards, and it seems like it's more paddy than anything. I've been considering getting one for mobile use.

drloop

17 Mar 2017

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:How is playing the Nanokey? I'm used to regular keyboards, and it seems like it's more paddy than anything. I've been considering getting one for mobile use.
nanoKEY2 is ok to play. I have used small keyboards since the first nanoKEY came.

Regarding nanoPAD, I have the first generation, its useless. I use the pads X/Y controller sometimes, but it is useless as trumpads or anything where you need to play with a little bit velocity.

I use the nanoKEY and the nanoKONTROl together with an Akai MPD218 which is an excellent drumpad.

yeahright31

17 Mar 2017

I've got a Nanopad 2 and a Korg nanoKEY Studio, I like both and find them very useful as they don't take up much space on my desk and they are quality. I could never get the Oxygen 61 Pads to work inside Reason. I didn't like the fact the faders wouldn't work with the Oxygen 61 as well, half the shite the Oxygen offered didn't work at all, the keys on the Oxygen felt good though.

I bought the Korg nanoKey Studio to work with Korg Gadget and it's awesome, it was about 2 weeks ago when I found out how to get the Korg nanokEY Studio to work with reason although the dails won't work when I remote map them in Reason. I've pretty much given up the on finding the perfect midi controller it clearly doesn't exists at all.

(What I mean by the perfect midi controller is one where everything works as intended) Like you can have all these fancy pads and dials etc but If I can't remote map it inside reason then it's a lost cause really) Sorry I wanted to end on a positive note- I really did.

hollyn

22 Mar 2017

Ed Bauman (EditEd4TV) wrote code for using the original NanoKONTROL with Reason (he put together a YouTube video overview of it).

If I recall correctly, his code doesn't work with Kontrol 2. I'm curious to know how well Kontrol 2 syncs with Rsn.

• Information