A bit of analog modular

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Ahornberg

17 Dec 2016

I bought some Eurorack modules and made some noise

Wasn't there a RackExtension to send CV to an audio out? ... :roll:

Faastwalker

18 Dec 2016

Cool ;)

Which modules did you buy?

Ahornberg

19 Dec 2016

Faastwalker wrote:Cool ;)

Which modules did you buy?
I bought some Doepfer modules

A-143-4 .. Quad VCLFO/VCO
A-135-1 .. Quad VCA / VC Mixer
A-101-6 .. Opto VCF
A-141-2 .. VCADSR
A-155 .. Analog/Trigger Sequencer
A-162 .. Dual Trigger Delay

and I mounted the whole thing on an old card box.
P1040009.jpg
P1040009.jpg (92.46 KiB) Viewed 2436 times

jonheal

22 Dec 2016

Very awesome!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

eusti

22 Dec 2016

Ahornberg wrote:
Took me a bit to find it: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ontroller/

D.

selig
RE Developer

22 Dec 2016

Love the box - making sure to spend the $$ on the parts that actually matter (sonically, at least)!
;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Ahornberg

22 Dec 2016

eusti wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:
Took me a bit to find it: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ontroller/

D.
Thank you!

eXode

23 Dec 2016

Ahornberg wrote:I bought some Eurorack modules and made some noise

Please note that you need a sound card or other solution with DC coupled outputs if you are going to use it for CV/control signals.

mataya

23 Dec 2016

You will eventually end up doing this. It's what it does to you. :)

Ahornberg

23 Dec 2016

eXode wrote:

Please note that you need a sound card or other solution with DC coupled outputs if you are going to use it for CV/control signals.
You're right ... and things tend to become complicated :?

O1B

02 Jan 2017

- a spark... would really suck!! 'Do it Right. Do it Once.'

... kinda like Deck Savers...

I used to reluctantly get them... until I SAW the crap on my Maschine after about two unused Months.
I still was a little reluctant until I THEN saw what gunk and dust and goo my TR-8 was saved from.

'Deck Savers', People.
selig wrote:Love the box - making sure to spend the $$ on the parts that actually matter (sonically, at least)! ;)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dana

06 Jan 2017

I WANT WANT WANT :)

This year is going to be eurorack year i think!

jonheal

06 Jan 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
Looks like you went out and bought even more doohickies to fill in the blank spaces, damn you! :)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Ahornberg

07 Jan 2017

jonheal wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:
Looks like you went out and bought even more doohickies to fill in the blank spaces, damn you! :)
yes, i did :puf_bigsmile:

O1B

04 Feb 2017

No Wasp? well, here's a new edition to the family

Faastwalker

06 Feb 2017

eXode wrote:

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the whole DC coupled output thing. There doesn't seem to be a huge number of audio interfaces that can do this, which is unfortunate seeing as what it allows you to do. I first saw this demonstrated by Peff almost a decade ago! I wanted to try this myself but the DC coupled output thing was a stumbling block back then & it still is now. Not sure what the best way forward with this is but would love to take advantage of this technique.

Ahornberg

07 Feb 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
eXode wrote:

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the whole DC coupled output thing. There doesn't seem to be a huge number of audio interfaces that can do this, which is unfortunate seeing as what it allows you to do. I first saw this demonstrated by Peff almost a decade ago! I wanted to try this myself but the DC coupled output thing was a stumbling block back then & it still is now. Not sure what the best way forward with this is but would love to take advantage of this technique.

I went on a MOTU UltraLite mk3 and things work fine. Thanks for that video!

Faastwalker

07 Feb 2017

Ahornberg wrote:I went on a MOTU UltraLite mk3 and things work fine.
I'm not sure if this list is up to date. But MOTU still seem to be the main manufacturer of audio interfaces that offer DC coupled audio outputs;

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwacompatibility.html

There appears to be other options available from Expert Sleepers. But I'm not sure if or how these works with their RE device. The device page states, 'Silent Way Voice Controller allows you to control your analog synths directly from Reason, in conjunction with a DC-coupled audio interface or an Expert Sleepers hardware module'. But it doesn't specify a particular module. I guess you decide based on the capabilities of the hardware you have. For example my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 has S/PDIF i/o. So I guess I'd need to go for something like the ES-4. Not sure. The short video on the product page doesn't help much as it only shows using the RE with a DC coupled audio interface (back to that again! :o);

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ontroller/

eXode

07 Feb 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
eXode wrote:

Personally, I think the best option is to use the Expert Sleepers ES-3 module if you have a soundcard with optical ADAT out. Very convenient with just one optical cable from your computer sound card to the modular.

Olivier

07 Feb 2017

eXode wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:
eXode wrote:

Personally, I think the best option is to use the Expert Sleepers ES-3 module if you have a soundcard with optical ADAT out. Very convenient with just one optical cable from your computer sound card to the modular.
This has been my solution for the last few years. An ES 3 with an added ES 6 for easy return of any signal, be it CV or audio, into reason.
You don't need a rackextension for audio out. Sure you can use Silent Way if you want to easily control/tune a VCO. Plus it adds some easy access to features like pitch bend if you would need it.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Faastwalker

07 Feb 2017

I don’t have ADAT on the Scarlett 6i6.But it does have S/PDIF. So looking at the modules Expert Sleepers make I think the ES-4 would be the one. I’m guessing this would work more or less the same as the ES-3 set-up with Reason?

With the explosion of EuroRack I’m surprised we have not seen more interfaces that feature dedicated CV/Gate i/o. There doesn’t seem to be a lot out there besides the Expert Sleepers stuff. Are there any other options available that you guys know about?

ScuzzyEye

07 Feb 2017

Faastwalker wrote:With the explosion of EuroRack I’m surprised we have not seen more interfaces that feature dedicated CV/Gate i/o. There doesn’t seem to be a lot out there besides the Expert Sleepers stuff. Are there any other options available that you guys know about?
I know of two other companies that make USB/MIDI devices that output CV. You'd use the EMI to trigger them.

A whole selection different configurations depending on your needs.
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/select/m-cvsel.shtml

There are a few devices under the USB/Midi Interfaces header. Also the small desktop modular Dark Energy II has a USB/MIDI input, so it can both interface with a MIDI sequencer and also provide some of the basics to a person just starting out.
http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

Olivier

08 Feb 2017

ScuzzyEye wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:With the explosion of EuroRack I’m surprised we have not seen more interfaces that feature dedicated CV/Gate i/o. There doesn’t seem to be a lot out there besides the Expert Sleepers stuff. Are there any other options available that you guys know about?
I know of two other companies that make USB/MIDI devices that output CV. You'd use the EMI to trigger them.

A whole selection different configurations depending on your needs.
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/select/m-cvsel.shtml

There are a few devices under the USB/Midi Interfaces header. Also the small desktop modular Dark Energy II has a USB/MIDI input, so it can both interface with a MIDI sequencer and also provide some of the basics to a person just starting out.
http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm
There are quite some devices available that can do this sort of thing. Look for example here : Schneidersladen : http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/modula ... clock.html or this less organized link at modulargrid

Besides using the Expert Sleepers over ADAT i have 2 more ways to get CV into my modular via Arturia Products.
My Microbrute can do pitch and gate out, which listens to midi over USB.
The beatstep pro can do pitch gate and level out (twice) and 8 drum gates (also listening to USB, the sequencer doesn't have to run). Next it has clock sync OUT and Sync in which means that you can get the clock that you are running inside your modular to drive the speed reason is running at by slaving reason to the Beatstep Pro.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

• Information