SONiVOX Orchestral Companion - Strings - $1

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Lizard

17 Jan 2017

I know many are strapped after the holiday but here's one that seems to be a pretty good take and can't add much more hurt to your finances. I was visiting Plugin Boutique and saw the SONiVOX Orchestral Strings VST for $1. Actually I got it for free using Virtual Cash I had from a previous purchase. But still..... only $1. It is currently downloading for me but it is a nearly 8GB download. That's a lot of sample for little cash. Link below. :)

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1 ... on-Strings

gak

18 Jan 2017

I got this, but it's complicated to get it set up with ilok for me and such. I'll figure it out someday :lol:

PhutureD

18 Jan 2017

It's not more complicated than it is annoying. If u have ilok setup/installed already, then just follow the instructions in the pdf provided with the purchase.
There were a few problems that many users were experiencing with ilok and Air music/sonnivox and whatever else uses Pace. I got around by searching in task manager in windows for anything related to pace antipiracy. try killing it before installing anything, because u might get a warning that something is running, otherwise u stand the chance of the install rolling back. If installation is succesfull it's just a matter of running ilok, copy/paste the serial and register. And always run ilok first before u launch the daw. Dont be alarmed if u need to try different scenarios when setting up anything to do with ilok and pace, meaning several installs, uninstalls. it's normal.

Lizard

18 Jan 2017

My biggest issue with iLok is with Windows 10. For some reason when the PC is restarted the Pace License Manager does not want to automatically start. When it does it says a background service is not running or missing so you have to manually start it. Kind of a PITA actually. But registering it has not been tough and is now installed.

It is a pretty nice string Library broke down into ensembles/violins/violas/cellos/contra bass groups and presets. This is pretty standard of course for a library like this. Organized well. Some of the patches have key switches but the disappointing thing is that they cannot be changed. And neither can the sample ranges. This poses a minor problem for someone say playing violins which are at the very top of the range in C5+ and the key switches are stuck on C1 range. So a 5 octave keyboard is not making it. You can expect what 4's and 2's are gonna be like. Ideally an 88 is best but not everyone has one.

The device is preset for the most part so you cannot create arrangements within the one device and would have to use multiple VST on different MIDI channels but that's do-able. The VST itself seems light.

The sounds are great having sustain, pizzicato, staccato and tremolo on all 4 string instruments. And to me they feel pretty expressive. For $1!? I really have no complaints. Literally... best bang for the buck. ;)

PhutureD

18 Jan 2017

I was having issues on Win 7 , similar to yours and all sorted now too. I have it installed and have yet to try.thanks for the heads up:)

QVprod

18 Jan 2017

Have it. It froze up Studio One's transport for me on Mac (Mavericks). Maybe I'll try an install again in the future.

• Information