Looking for suggestions on what I should charge for music soundbeds for promotional video..

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
WarStar

12 Mar 2022

A old friend hit me up recently asking for some music for some promo videos he does for a fly fishing company. He asked about rates but I'm really not sure what to charge. Anyone have any experience with this as far as rates go?

Thanks guys!

gullum

12 Mar 2022

Ask your friend what he is willing to pay. It will depend very much on where your are living and how easy it is to get music made for video production in you location. If your the only option the price can be higher if there are 1000 others your price needs to be lower or your music be even better

Billy+

12 Mar 2022

Old friend as in
  • someone you have known for years and been in regular contact with
or
  • someone you knew ages ago who has just decided to contact you after years of not
Either way

what's your time worth?
do you want to do it?

Is it just background noise to make the voice over sound less "roomie" or full on musical compositions, etc......

Tinnitus

13 Mar 2022

Also is your friend JRHartley ?

( That's an old British advert gag
)

WarStar

13 Mar 2022

I've known him since highschool so a long ass time lol but have only been Facebook friends since then...

I did a little research and this sight called musicbed charges $200 for a sound pack, 1 full song plus its stems and a few other things, so I'm thinking I'll shoot for $250 per sound pack. I've also seen it mentioned that $25 hr is roughly the going rate so that comes out to about 8/9hrs per song which probably makes sense, I have a friend that will be doing some guitar tracks for me as well so this sounds about right in terms of total time it'll take ..

Does that seem reasonable you think?

DaveyG

13 Mar 2022

An alternative to charging by the hour is to charge by "finished minutes of music" which is more common in some areas of this market.
But it depends on your friend, and on you, and on how keen you are to get a foothold in the industry and to have something to show the next potential customer. It may be that your friend is doing the same so there may not be much money left in the pot for the music! It may be that you choose to do it for fun and for beer money, just so you get some music out there.

Only you know the exact brief but be sure to compare your prices to the alternative of them just buying some stock "library" music from one of the many, many suppliers of such things.

pushedbutton

13 Mar 2022

If it's for a friend I'd say the formula would look like

((Time Spent on Project - Time spent doing what you would be doing in your free time anyhow) x Minimum Hourly Rate) + (Cost of someone else doing it if you don't - How nice you want to be)
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

WarStar

13 Mar 2022

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! He has a small budget from his company so I think I should be good to go.. cross my fingers this all makes sense lol

Think I may start a LLC for such things as well.. any thoughts on that as well?

Goriila Texas

13 Mar 2022

Bro you really need a Attorney with any business you do because you never know if that song gets tv placements etc..

WarStar wrote:
12 Mar 2022
A old friend hit me up recently asking for some music for some promo videos he does for a fly fishing company. He asked about rates but I'm really not sure what to charge. Anyone have any experience with this as far as rates go?

Thanks guys!

Goriila Texas

13 Mar 2022

Asking a forum about legal advice should be in the kitchen imo. Why is it here? What does this have to do with Reason? I think it's time to reiterate what this forum is for.

WarStar wrote:
13 Mar 2022
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! He has a small budget from his company so I think I should be good to go.. cross my fingers this all makes sense lol

Think I may start a LLC for such things as well.. any thoughts on that as well?

• Information