What is your honest opinion about Facebook?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
deepndark

01 Dec 2016

And how does it make you feel?

jonheal

01 Dec 2016

It's annoying. Yap. Yap. Yap. And even when I post something. It's still just a bunch of yap.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

EnochLight

01 Dec 2016

I've had an account since it opened to the general public a decade ago. At first I loved it, as it allowed me to reconnect with people, friends, and even family that had drifted out of my life years ago. But my love for the service turned into a love-hate relationship, as it can turn into a major time-suck.

I've taken sabbaticals from using it, closed my account more than once, and now tend to use it on a limited basis for those last remaining friends and family I like to keep tabs on, but don't have the energy to physically make them a part of my daily interactive life. I also use it for some music interest groups (Rack Extenionists FTW!) and other interest groups, where there is literally no other face on the Internet for them.

As a music promotion tool, it's "meh".
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jam-s

01 Dec 2016

Sucks big time and only offers things a native web user could already do back in the 90s (with irc, email, nntp and http) without exposing their private lives to various three letter agencies.

Noplan
Competition Winner

01 Dec 2016

At the beginning it was fun, but then they made too many changes that sucked.

Anyway Facebook was and is just a piece of shit with its' violation of rights and policies.

adfielding

01 Dec 2016

I think it's alright in small bursts. The news feed is terrible, though. I much preferred it when it was just a list of stuff that friends had posted in chronological order from newest to oldest, not full of clickbait and outright false nonsense. But... it's alright. I don't think I'd miss it if FB suddenly imploded or anything like that, but it's a nice way to stay in touch with folks.

I removed FB & Messenger from my phone ages ago though - I swear that "p-TING" Messenger sound was going to drive me to murder.

HepCat

01 Dec 2016

A cross between the Vichy government of wartime France and Bridget Bardot in the carpark scene of Jackie Brown where she just won't stfu.

Like all social networking, it's how to make enemies and alienate people.

A forum for extremists of every creed and hue (that includes Emos) - second only to Twitter.

pushedbutton

01 Dec 2016

I only use it to talk to my family and a couple of friends. I really don't like it, it's like having a mobile phone that you can't switch off, even if you're not online people know you'll see what they wrote the next time you log on. I liked the pre-internet era when you could disappear for days at a time and when you came back it wasn't a big deal. Now even if you go camping in a secluded location people want photos and a status update or they think you've fallen out with them.
As far as using it for a promotional tool, there's too much crap on facebook for your content to be taken any more seriously than someone's pic of a cat looking bemused.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

jonheal

01 Dec 2016

pushedbutton wrote:... As far as using it for a promotional tool, there's too much crap on facebook for your content to be taken any more seriously than someone's pic of a cat looking bemused.
But I never tire of bemused cats! If Facebook were limited to ONLY videos of cats attacking babies and falling off of shelves and getting terrified of their own reflections, it would be a decent service.
Last edited by jonheal on 01 Dec 2016, edited 2 times in total.

Creativemind

01 Dec 2016

I use it far too much. It can be a laugh, it can fun, it can also stir up shit.

Some of the videos are funny. It can be quite addictive if you're not careful though and you can spend far too much time on it.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jonheal

01 Dec 2016

Creativemind wrote:I use it far too much. It can be a laugh, it can fun, it can also stir up shit.

Some of the videos are funny. It can be quite addictive if you're not careful though and you can spend far too much time on it.
My wife lives on Facebook, which reminds me ... where's my damn supper?!?!

Creativemind

01 Dec 2016

jonheal wrote: My wife lives on Facebook, which reminds me ... where's my damn supper?!?!
I know I can at times. Think I've done 4 hrs today.

ejanuska

01 Dec 2016

jonheal wrote:
pushedbutton wrote:... As far as using it for a promotional tool, there's too much crap on facebook for your content to be taken any more seriously than someone's pic of a cat looking bemused.
But I never tire of bemused cats! If Facebook were limited to ONLY videos of cats attacking babies and falling off of shelves and getting terrified of their own reflections, it would be a decent service.
Right, I'm not ruled by cats or dogs in my house but I love a good cat video. Dogs can piss off IMO, their videos are usually not as funny.
Babies are boring too unless you're the parent/grandparent.

Best cat video: cats vs cucumbers. Look it up yourself.

jonheal

01 Dec 2016

ejanuska wrote:Best cat video: cats vs cucumbers. Look it up yourself.
Yes, that's a good one.

HepCat

01 Dec 2016

I aint a particularly sweet guy but REALLY, l don't think it's nice to scare cats (sudden loud noises, scary cucumber discretely placed behind them) and photograph the horror or film it. It's about as funny as watching somebody burning in the street.

HOWEVER: This is funny, the only ones to be mentally anguished by it will be the occasional viewer:

jonheal

01 Dec 2016

HepCat wrote:It's about as funny as watching somebody burning in the street.
Not quite on the same level, but I get your point.

I reckon it's the snake-like appearance that gets 'em. :puf_smile:

BTW, I think we can all give ourselves a nice pat on the back for royally hijacking this thread!

Full disclosure: we have three cats, the insufferable little moggies ...

Carol Rein

01 Dec 2016

It sucks.

Electric-Metal

02 Dec 2016

Carol Rein wrote:
It sucks.
Exactly :thumbs_up:
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

deepndark

31 Dec 2016

My FB account got deleted - I feel already a certain kind of satisfaction.

rudiarii

01 Jan 2017

Just backed off yet again...it's a major time sucker. I joined to keep up with my family that is spread around from Canada to Scotland but they have all backed off or don't bother. I keep an account open for promoting my radio show and open mic night I host, apart from that I feel free to spend more time on this forum and playing music.
"dont let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold" Incubus

Creativemind

01 Jan 2017

jam-s wrote:Sucks big time and only offers things a native web user could already do back in the 90s (with irc, email, nntp and http) without exposing their private lives to various three letter agencies.
Exposing private lives to various three letter agencies, what do you mean by this?

Creativemind

01 Jan 2017

jonheal wrote:
Creativemind wrote:I use it far too much. It can be a laugh, it can fun, it can also stir up shit.

My wife lives on Facebook, which reminds me ... where's my damn supper?!?!
Lol!

Some people post stuff on there like pics of their dinner or meal in a pub or just mundane stuff like, "Well I guess I should get outta bed now, it's 10.30am" or such like. The worst has to be the cryptic status' like "Can't believe that just happened" or "You have to be kidding me" or "Get in, result!" then the obvious first response will be, "What's happened mate?", why not just put what you meant in the first place?

And people that ask questions on there when they obviously have the internet and instead of just searching the internet, ask on there? lol!

It can upset people as well. I've had (and for seemingly no reason) been defriended by people and it can start playing on your mind wondering what you've done. Is it what I said on this post (which was harmless) or that post or was it simply 'cause we didn't chat much on it. Then you can spend a couple of minutes here, a couple of minutes there pondering on it analysing what you've done when in actual fact it was probably 'cause you didn't chat much.

EnochLight

01 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:
jam-s wrote:Sucks big time and only offers things a native web user could already do back in the 90s (with irc, email, nntp and http) without exposing their private lives to various three letter agencies.
Exposing private lives to various three letter agencies, what do you mean by this?
Probably the fact that Facebook - as a public company that sells advertising (you being the product) - is monitored by the FBI, the CIA, and its international counterparts, I would imagine. Anything you post there is an open book for all of these organizations to view, despite your privacy settings.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Catblack

01 Jan 2017

I got booted off facebook 6 months ago for not using my real name. There's about 400 people on my friends list who I now have no idea what's up with them. But in terms of not being exposed to this massively dis-informative election cycle, getting the boot has been a godsend.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

FlowerSoldier

01 Jan 2017

Facebook - leave it alone.
I quit the book when they went public for $104 billion dollars. They were making all that money from free data generated by their users. That was a big red flag for me.
If they wanted to cut me a check for $1.50/month to keep using...I might, but probably not.

• Information