What is your honest opinion about Facebook?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Peter

01 Jan 2017

I'm a recovering Facebook addict after abusing the shit out of it through most of 2016. I permanently deleted my account early last month. The music session screen grabs I was sharing to my friends were a nice way to stay motivated but then it turned into more like instant gratification. I would post crazy thoughts after being sleep-deprived from work in addition to overanalyzing and being paranoid about myself. I'm obsessive and have anxiety issues so it drained a lot of time and energy. I also wrote my fair share of intoxicated posts which probably made me seem like a jackass. Facebook is extremely toxic for me. I feel so much better now but it sucks to see my girlfriend spend so much time on it.

chk071

01 Jan 2017

I never felt comfortable with exposing myself on the net too much, so i never registered Facebook (well, in fact i did, but not with my real name, and i deleted the page after 2 weeks :P). If then, i'd use it only to follow company news anyway, none of my family have Facebook, and few of my friends. But, i can also do that without being registered, and i also have a Twitter account, and those companies are also on Twitter. I don't know, Facebook for me is commerce, and, also, the spearhead of narcism, and egoism. What calls itself "social media" for me is rather about presenting yourself, or flat social rituals i don't identify with, or want to conform with. Well, don't have to participate in everything, right? :)
:reason: :rebirth:

Last Alternative

01 Jan 2017

Facecrook? I make a few posts a year. Nothing personal. I go on a few times a day for a laugh and see what peeps are up to but I also get quickly annoyed by all the self-pity, 'look at me', kid pics, food pics and where people are on the map posts. I spend maybe 3 minutes at a time about 3-5 times a day mostly deleting people's lame posts.
Not too many real conversations, unfortunately.
But then this is really the age of anti-social media, isn't it?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

deepndark

02 Jan 2017

Cool one people! I agree with lots of what you've said here. Facebook seems a monster that makes me feel paranoid and uncomfortable. Remember the Myspace? It didn't make me feel bad the same way as Facebook.

craven

02 Jan 2017

I visited a certain gaming website once (through google), now it's all over my Facebook ads. Super creepy personal ad targeting. Otherwise Facebook is okay, I'm not visiting it that much.
:ugeek:

O1B

02 Jan 2017

Last time I logged in was when Reasonistas 'forced' me to for some "Awesome" Deal they rigged up.

AniMoog is 'forcing' me to Log in got free MIDI Out(or IN) or something. Think ill pay the $4.99, instead.
i know, i know... "nobodeez forcing you, dude..."

yes, they are.

Last Alternative

03 Jan 2017

The targeted ads are creepy and complete harassment. I googled toner for a printer at work so I could figure out how to get to it and now I'm getting Amazon emails for that toner. Not to mention how annoying it is to keep getting ads on every website for things you already bought. Where does it end?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

chimp_spanner

10 Jan 2017

I absolutely hate it. I say this as a great lover (and consumer) of technology. I think the internet is, potentially, a great thing. And I owe a lot of my knowledge and indeed my career to it. So I'm not some luddite/technophobe/grumpy old man.

But man. Facebook is just a whole other thing. The first thing I did this year is delete it from my phone and iPad. Unfortunately I still talk to a lot of people on messenger so I can't come off it completely, but I have set my bookmark to go straight to /messages so I'm not tempted to look at the news feed.

But it really is addictive. The first few days after I took it off, I found myself unlocking my phone and looking for the F every minute or so, just out of habit. Even if I was doing something else like, playing a game, talking to someone, watching something. It takes up valuable time I should be using to work, create, or really talk/listen to my partner. It's destroyed friendships and families (not mine, thankfully).

And ya know, what with last year being particularly eventful with politics, race relations, terror, war, I just got so fatigued by all the opinion, counter opinion. People making a big song and dance about how virtuous they are, presumably to let other people who agree with them feel better (and people who don't, worse). Vanity. Narcissism. Gloating. Moaning. Complaining. Fake news. Gore. Blah blah blah.

Can you tell I don't like it? :D I'll tell you one thing; I've gotten more done in the last week than I normally would in 2 or 3. And a huge chunk of that is time I got BACK that I'd otherwise have used on FB.

jonheal

10 Jan 2017

Last Alternative wrote:The targeted ads are creepy and complete harassment. I googled toner for a printer at work so I could figure out how to get to it and now I'm getting Amazon emails for that toner. Not to mention how annoying it is to keep getting ads on every website for things you already bought. Where does it end?
As manipulative and Machiavellian as Facebook is, those targeted following you around are due to the Gentle Giant known as Google (AdSense).
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

nooomy

10 Jan 2017

Last Alternative wrote:The targeted ads are creepy and complete harassment. I googled toner for a printer at work so I could figure out how to get to it and now I'm getting Amazon emails for that toner. Not to mention how annoying it is to keep getting ads on every website for things you already bought. Where does it end?
I get ads for adhd and add diagnosing :D

I wonder what algorithm I have triggered :p

jonheal

10 Jan 2017

I get ads for adult diapers and adult ... oh never mind ...

jonheal

10 Jan 2017

jonheal wrote:
As manipulative and Machiavellian as Facebook is, those targeted following you around are due to the Gentle Giant known as Google (AdSense).
I would also not be surprised if you allow Facebook notifications in Chrome, that the notification admin would also be able to track your browsing and report back to Facebook so they can do their own ad targeting.

yeahright31

10 Jan 2017

For me facebook was fun at the start, instant message sort of chats between people was what I enjoyed.
See I loved the old Yahoo chat and MSN Chat well chat rooms in general was a nice way for me to get out of my bubble and I will admit the odd organisation of a blind date excited me in my teenage years. But facebook just turned into this weird stalker tool and no one rarely wanted to chat but more like photos and I tend to avoid it and I've just lost a lot of people I believed where friends with me.

CharlyCharlzz

11 Jan 2017

deepndark wrote:And how does it make you feel?
Like if i could take it down i would ... :twisted:
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

4filegate

11 Jan 2017

What Trump means for tech;
"You'll call my people, you'll call me, it doesn't make any difference. We have no formal chain of command around here."
The United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC, also called the FISA Court) temporarily out of operation?

deepndark

11 Jan 2017

CharlyCharlzz wrote:
deepndark wrote:And how does it make you feel?
Like if i could take it down i would ... :twisted:
:thumbs_up:
Great! I totally agree with you... :puf_bigsmile:

4filegate

14 Jan 2017

nooomy wrote:I wonder what algorithm I have triggered :p
disable autofill feature in the Google Chrome/Safari browser

gak

15 Jan 2017

Like poppy, it should die. Zuckendorker is the antichrist, and trump is his puppet.

FlowerSoldier

15 Jan 2017

Story time mother fuckers...

>Be me, 2010.
>Log in to the book.
>Someone commented on a photo of me. Yay!
>I go check it.
>Motherfucker made some comment about how I need to buy new shoes.
>Yo, I was wearing my pimp ass green adidas supastar shelltoes. Women loved those shoes.
>I fire back "dude, you need to find better things to do than criticize people's shoes over the internet."
>He fires back: "some shit I don't remember."
>I become enraged. Like, baboon angry.
>I fire back: "Some Stupid Shit I don't remember."
>Then I pause.
>I realized I was going through bad emotional changes because of Facebook.
>I delete my account immediately.
>Never looked back.
>Now I focus on making better music, and that makes me happy.

MirrorEyEs

15 Jan 2017

I don't think we have hit peak narcissism just yet.
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

Skullture

15 Jan 2017

So many people complaining about facebook, but I have yet to see a bigger boycot. Normally these online methods of communication die out after a while like msn, skype, myspace, etc... Facebook should have been dead a long time ago but for some reason they got way too much money to buy off all innovating competition. As long as this monopoly remains, I'm afraid I have to deal with fb as a general communication platform.

I don't hate it (hating is not a smart thing to do generally), but I've disliked the layout from the start. The UI is too confusing, sometimes unresponsive. And there are too many things in the userfeed that shouldn't be there. And how come 16 year old kids get 100+ likes on their photo's lol? :D

gak

16 Jan 2017

MirrorEyEs wrote:I don't think we have hit peak narcissism just yet.
That will come with trump.

Gorgon

17 Jan 2017

gak wrote:
I like facebook. And I like Trump.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

plaamook

18 Jan 2017

Gorgon wrote:
gak wrote:
I like facebook. And I like Trump.
Maybe Gorgon's hit it?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information