Do you listen to your own music?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
pLv2

17 May 2017

theshoemaker wrote:Would you say hanging the images you shot or pictures you've been drawing is masturbation?
Different art - same concept.
modecca wrote:Maybe if you approached it from an acting role point of view like being a character in a movie
you look at your own work like an outsider and thus have the ability to finally appreciate it with out feeling uncomfortable.
I have this thought at my day job sometimes and it definitely helps!

As for the OP, I listen to my own music to be critical of myself while wondering how I can progress as an artist. I often play scenarios in my head and wonder how people would react to my music. I don't make music so I can get high off my own supply or masturbate to it. I enjoy the process of creation and then it fades away after the project is done. I'll play it in the car on the way to work just to figure out some thoughts on the final output and then I'm on to the next project. The creative process is more like catch and release to me. I think it's rather tragic for an artist to be full of themselves. I've seen artists promote the same material for a year on social media like it's going to be the savior of mankind and they burn themselves out. We all approach the rabbit hole differently though.

Bunja

17 May 2017

modecca wrote:
Bunja wrote:Na i dont , other people say im a good singer and i like the sound that i hear when im singing but when its recorded i cringe when i listen, ive heard adele and cris martin are like this so im not alone ,lol , with music i like it and think its amqzing then i get bored with it and think its crap lol, havent uploaded anything for a few years coz im not happy with anything yet lol, i only have this old badly recorded shit up lol
https://m.soundcloud.com/george-bunja-clarkson

Waiting till i get better now then ill i'll ipload something else
There is nothing wrong with those vocals and thus no need to wait another 4 years to add something to soundcloud.
The reason you dont like your own voice might simply be the same reason people are insecure about being naked- it feels too personal.
Maybe if you approached it from an acting role point of view like being a character in a movie
you look at your own work like an outsider and thus have the ability to finally appreciate it with out feeling uncomfortable. I know beyonce and minaj like playing with that whole gettin into character thing.
Cheers m8 nah i guess i like it, i just critic myself too much maybe man , i definetly dont like listening to it around other people lol

siln

22 May 2017

listening to his own music is important for :
1 getting some satisfaction of things done
2 analyzing the whole process of what get you to this point in your journey
3 analyzing what could be done further/better
Also there is a common topic about "the first listen" where all the magic happens, and then too much analysis have the downside of neglecting the "magical effect" of the first listen
it s all about balance i guess

sublunar

22 May 2017

pLv2 wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:Would you say hanging the images you shot or pictures you've been drawing is masturbation?
Different art - same concept.
I'm guilty of both then. But what else you gonna do when you prepared for a photo exhibit and have about 40 framed photos laying around getting beat and scratched? Might as well hang em up. It helps that they are of subjects that interest me and that I'm proud to have on my walls. I never set out to print my own stuff for my own walls but when you have a big batch of frames and photos that you're putting together for a show, then you're bound to realize how empty your own walls were. I've regretted selling a few of my best ones because I liked em that much.

If you have hobbies you spend your free time doing and you don't love what you're doing then something ain't right.

Now I don't go around listening to my own music in the same way I used to wear out my favorite bands back in the day. Most of the time I listen to rough drafts of current projects in the car to work on vocal melodies while driving. But I will most definitely put on an unfinished project I haven't worked on in a while and just listen to it with fresh ears and try to enjoy it without analyzing it. Yeah I have to take a break from a stalled project for months at a time before I can listen to it again and reconnect with the idea. And often the parts I'm not good at will stick out and need to be tweaked further. But overall I can definitely enjoy my own tunes. Because I'm trying to make the music I want to hear. If you don't like listening to your own stuff then how can you expect anyone else to?

EnochLight

24 May 2017

I love listening to my own music - I'm my own biggest fan (and critic)! ;) :lol: On a serious note, I'm the only one I write for, so I'd better enjoy my own wares. I feel that artists who don't like their own work need to walk away and look for something else to do.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

moneykube

25 May 2017

yes... like to pick out mistakes and fix em
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

aeox
Competition Winner

27 May 2017

Bunja wrote:
modecca wrote:
Bunja wrote:Na i dont , other people say im a good singer and i like the sound that i hear when im singing but when its recorded i cringe when i listen, ive heard adele and cris martin are like this so im not alone ,lol , with music i like it and think its amqzing then i get bored with it and think its crap lol, havent uploaded anything for a few years coz im not happy with anything yet lol, i only have this old badly recorded shit up lol
https://m.soundcloud.com/george-bunja-clarkson

Waiting till i get better now then ill i'll ipload something else
There is nothing wrong with those vocals and thus no need to wait another 4 years to add something to soundcloud.
The reason you dont like your own voice might simply be the same reason people are insecure about being naked- it feels too personal.
Maybe if you approached it from an acting role point of view like being a character in a movie
you look at your own work like an outsider and thus have the ability to finally appreciate it with out feeling uncomfortable. I know beyonce and minaj like playing with that whole gettin into character thing.
Cheers m8 nah i guess i like it, i just critic myself too much maybe man , i definetly dont like listening to it around other people lol
man.. those are some nice vocals...

• Information