Does anyone else create Noise/Drone/Ambient?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
X1Lo

21 Jan 2015

I have only known a handful of people in my life that are interested in these experimental genres.  I often wish I had people to talk to about experimental sound but sadly do not.  If you create, or enjoy such auditory nonsense I would love to hear about your experience! :crazy:
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

platzangst

21 Jan 2015

Much of my work is experimental in nature, ranging from audio collage to noise to, I guess, environmental and abstract works. Some of my stuff might be considered ambient, depending on how you define that.

A recent example:

My BandCamp page has other albums of differing types of experiments:

https://platzangst.bandcamp.com/

Gaja

21 Jan 2015

That is actually pretty nice!
Didn't like the stress test you had in you signature at some point, but there may be something inside this thing but it's hard to tell is pretty good! Very athmospheric but still melodic.
I couldn't compose something like this, but I enjoy listening to it from time to time.
EDIT: my wife asked me to tell you that she loves your music :)
Cheers!
Fredhoven

platzangst

21 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:That is actually pretty nice! Didn't like the stress test you had in you signature at some point,
I had to think for a moment to remember what that was. At one point I had a SoundCloud playlist in my sig on the PUF that was just a collection of various tracks ranging from pop to pure noise weirdness. I called it a "stress test" because one could get stylistic whiplash going from track to track...
Gaja wrote:but there may be something inside this thing but it's hard to tell is pretty good! Very athmospheric but still melodic. I couldn't compose something like this, but I enjoy listening to it from time to time. EDIT: my wife asked me to tell you that she loves your music :)
Thank you and your wife very much!

dhruan

21 Jan 2015

I loves me some noise (and other deconstructed/experimental stuff)! Not really active in making noise anymore (if I actually ever was), here is though one short track that I did way back when...

soundcloud.com/armsgrade

selig
RE Developer

21 Jan 2015

I'm into just about any genre at some level, but personally love exploring sound design (which to me means "anything goes"). More often than not the soundscapes are drone/ambient and intended to be forgotten about after a few minutes (in the original "ambient" way). I've even worked on a series of pieces that I played as I slept to see if they had any effect on my dreams (none that I was aware of, in case you're curious). 

I find Reason ideal for creating these "self playing modular synth" types of soundscape/noise/drone pieces, and rarely even use the main sequencer when building those tracks. I get the same feeling I used to get working on analog modulars when working on this type of piece in Reason!

I'd be interested in hearing how other folks are using Reason for this sort of production.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

X1Lo

21 Jan 2015

I find Reason ideal for creating these "self playing modular synth" types of soundscape/noise/drone pieces
I do as well.  I always draw one long note in the sequencer.  I try and have a lot of subtle modulations with the lfo's and mod envelopes, and real time modulation recordings for many other parameters just based on impulsive feelings.  My track 'Speak' is a my best example of that.
https://soundcloud.com/x1lo/speak
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

challism

22 Jan 2015

You can count me in on this genre, as well.  I enjoy making noise and ambient textures, among other things.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

matt9the9cat

22 Jan 2015

Ambient music perhaps my favorite of all. I have a couple of albums worth that I've created, but only a few examples on my soundcloud for some reason. Perhaps I should remedy that. The tracks "You Want To Be Free" "Circular" and "Giant Crystals" are ambient pieces.
https://soundcloud.com/mjduncan

matt9the9cat

22 Jan 2015

selig wrote:I'm into just about any genre at some level, but personally love exploring sound design (which to me means "anything goes"). More often than not the soundscapes are drone/ambient and intended to be forgotten about after a few minutes (in the original "ambient" way). I've even worked on a series of pieces that I played as I slept to see if they had any effect on my dreams (none that I was aware of, in case you're curious). 

I find Reason ideal for creating these "self playing modular synth" types of soundscape/noise/drone pieces, and rarely even use the main sequencer when building those tracks. I get the same feeling I used to get working on analog modulars when working on this type of piece in Reason!

I'd be interested in hearing how other folks are using Reason for this sort of production.
:)
Completely agree. Reasons's strength as a sound design sandbox is truly astounding!

• Information