Rant about mistakes

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Marco Raaphorst

28 Sep 2016

We all make mistakes. Accept it and you will learn. Call it an opportunity and you will be free! Here’s my rant… http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/so-er-ar ... perienced/

Kenni
Site Admin

28 Sep 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:We all make mistakes. Accept it and you will learn. Call it an opportunity and you will be free! Here’s my rant… http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/so-er-ar ... perienced/
Nice read, actually :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Marco Raaphorst

28 Sep 2016

Kenni wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:We all make mistakes. Accept it and you will learn. Call it an opportunity and you will be free! Here’s my rant… http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/so-er-ar ... perienced/
Nice read, actually :)
thanks!

yeahright31

05 Oct 2016

Nice Read & Share Buddy. I like at the end how you worded and voiced this -

Marco Raaphorst says -
"I have studied music theory, so I can solo over complex chord changes. There’s a lot of theory going on in my brain, modal thinking for example. But there’s a drawback to that theory: it can limit my creativity. Theory is like a safety net. But to get to the next level I need to accept that there are no wrong notes. That there are no wrong chords. That music, even when improvised, is never a mistake. There’s only an opportunity to take. We do that to experience the music which lives inside of us. And therefore there really aren’t any mistakes".

I share this same view as well. I'm not all that clued up on chord changes etc, yet I feel what you said I agree with 100%
The thing that get annoyed about is in my circle of muso friends their are many quick to say lets collaborate and then they turn into such control freaks and perfectionist. At first it's like " I get a call saying -we haven't had a jam in a while, let's have a jam??" I stress I don't know all the chords, yet they like nah (Just for fun)

Well that goes out the window when so and so wants me to play G chord and I have no idea where that is. Haha

Then I feel stupid and ask for help, it's at this very moment I find that I hate jamming, i'm limited and in the end people play rusty and wanna cut out anything the & I've arranged/ recorded, played and I'm like screw you guys. Yet I see myself as someone who is the ideas guy, the person who is more a sound designer, the video recorder dude, yep I can arrange a beat well, although not if the song is packed with time signatures.

Yeah sure if I'm on the keyboard then everything I do is improv, although as soon as I jam with others ("For Fun") - It's this whole talk of let's start a band, i'm like frig me, that's not jamming for fun in fact -why am I even here collaborating? Oh we are supposed to be having fun right? : (

Marco Raaphorst

05 Oct 2016

cool.

do what you want, play what you want.

I must say I am a notes and chords freak. but also a sound freak.

I love jazz harmony and theory but I also love to think like a child. experiment. by neutral.

there's as much I recognise in the music of Miles Davis as there is in Aphex Twin his music. it's the fun and the magic of music. that power of creating things which makes A Sound.

ravisoni

16 Oct 2016

A really refreshing read. I agree with what's mentioned above as well, The more I've learned, the more restricted I feel, and I'm sure I'm one of the few who feel like that. Whatever keeps creativity as priority, eh?
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

deepndark

20 Nov 2016

Have I made mistakes? Lots of ... and sometimes my ego takes my behaviour over and makes me do even more mistakes.

4filegate

08 Dec 2016

Once Upon a Time I loss a 1800 pounds PA - best friends had bought the depot/instalment plan with it for the NEW PA with more performance

• Information