DOOM

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
eXode

16 May 2016

Been playing through a little more than half of the single player campaign. It's really intense and fun imho. You got to be constantly moving, never still. It's such a refreshing break from ultra-realistic slow-paced shooters. Forget about camping behind cover. :D

chk071

16 May 2016

I watched a gameplay video of the single player on Youtube. I must say i was positively surprised. I used to play stuff like Doom and Duke Nukem when they came out, not much of a shooter fan these days, but it looked like fun, and pretty old school. :) So, kudos to ID software, i'm sure they make a lot of people happy with this.
:reason: :rebirth:

normen

16 May 2016

Playing right now. This time they really managed to capture the original DOOM spirit, the gameplay is refreshingly different as you say. You're playing some seriously angry dude xD Only thing I dread a bit is the platforming but oh well :)

Edit: Also really like some of the gameplay mechanics like getting more health for the glory kills and getting ammo for the chainsaw kills, at this fast pace this really leads to some satisfying moments.

Exowildebeest

16 May 2016

I might give it a whirl if I can drag myself away from The Witcher 3...

As long as it's not like the previous Doom with the fucking flashlight and the all the plastic looks :D Although I remember enjoying it anyway.

normen

16 May 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:As long as it's not like the previous Doom with the fucking flashlight and the all the plastic looks :D Although I remember enjoying it anyway.
Not at all, thats what I meant by capturing the original DOOM spirit, which Doom 3 totally failed to do. Its pretty much the exact opposite.

eXode

16 May 2016

Yeah. while I actually think that Doom 3 was pretty good as an atmospheric horror game (i.e. I really felt like I was alone on that god forgotten base), except for some stupid decisions (like the flashlight/no flashlight on weapons and monsters in closets), DOOM is an unapologetic homage to the originals, imho. :)

normen

16 May 2016

Phew... Just a tip: In the stage just before you get out of hell (the one with the line of powerups in the hallway) you can "cheat" by going back up to the broken stairway via the chained rocks, the monsters won't go there. I tried like 20 times before I gave up and resorted to this cheat ;)

dhruan

16 May 2016

Been having a go at it a few nights. PS4 here and I am sorely missing a mouse and a keyboard, never really gotten the hang of using just the controller... Anyhoo, it is good fun and I love the Quake vibe it has (sounds especially). Btw. I loved DOOM 3.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

yeahright31

16 May 2016

I remember not liking the original Doom, played Doom 3 yet didn't like it too much, so i'll probably give this a look. Think i'm too much of a Quake fan.

yeahright31

16 May 2016

I've finished Gears Of War 1,2,3 & currently i'm playing Gears of War Judgement. When I bought an Xbox 360 it came with Gears Of War 2 I remember the guy saying it's an awesome game, one of the best and I think that set my hopes too high, 1 hour in I didn't like it although then the game grew on me and I finished it- Next thing I've almost completed the whole series. Funtimes!

Jagwah

16 May 2016

Since you guys are talking about shooters, been a little controversy about the new Call of Duty going away from its roots and heading even further into the future (this time in to outer space), while the awesome Battlefield is returning to WW1 !!!!! Seems the COD community got together to down vote the new COD trailer :lol:
call of duty dislikes.jpg
call of duty dislikes.jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

normen

16 May 2016

Aight, killed every last one of them ^^ Did it on PS4 on "Hurt Me Plenty", can't imagine doing this in "Nightmare" though, I was tempted to lower the difficulty a few times but I pulled through :D

yeahright31

16 May 2016

I bought Call of Duty Advanced war fighter some time ago and while my best buddy loved the game, for me I didn't enjoy playing it all all.
The thing is I used to love Call Of Duty, I've got them all played the campaigns and online, while Battlefield I played through the campaigns of Battlefield 3 & 4 but I hate playing Battlefield online to the point I refuse playing it online.

Now I'm not excited for both new ones that COD & Battlefield have to offer.

chk071

17 May 2016

Jagwah wrote:Since you guys are talking about shooters, been a little controversy about the new Call of Duty going away from its roots and heading even further into the future (this time in to outer space), while the awesome Battlefield is returning to WW1 !!!!! Seems the COD community got together to down vote the new COD trailer :lol:
call of duty dislikes.jpg
Kids today. :lol: In the end, everyone will buy it anyway... but what would the first world be, if we don't complain hard before something is released?
:reason: :rebirth:

Noplan
Competition Winner

17 May 2016

This game awakens my childhood memories.

WongoTheSane

17 May 2016

Noplan wrote:This game awakens my childhood memories.
This is completely OT but while we're on childhood memories, the flashing in your avatar reminds me of Strauss's Blue Danube.

Yeah, try to unsee it now :)

Jagwah

17 May 2016

yeahright31 wrote:...I hate playing Battlefield online to the point I refuse playing it online.
OMG why??!?

Jagwah

17 May 2016

odarmonix

17 May 2016

Been a Doom fanboy ever since I discovered the PSX version at the age of 12, I still regularly play oldschool Doom 2 on PC, most often with mods like Brutal Doom or Russian Overkill. While I'll agree that Doom 3 had its bunch of flaws (flashlight thing, somewhat weak guns...) I still had good times playing it and the Hell level(s) make up for its issues IMO.

Haven't played the 2016 reboot yet, although according to the videos I'm watching it definitely looks fun and WAY more intense than its predecessors... but I hesitate to buy it because I'm not sure I'd have the courage to go through the obligatory 43 GB download with my sluggish DSL connection. I also fear my computer would suffer a bit from the game itself, it seems I barely have the minimum recommended specs with my FX-8350 CPU. :cry:

yeahright31

17 May 2016

Jagwah wrote:
yeahright31 wrote:...I hate playing Battlefield online to the point I refuse playing it online.
OMG why??!?

Because it's always unfair you start of with such hopeless weapons and yet face army tanks and all odds against ya
Yes I like a challenge but not to the point I feel like everyone is taking the piss.

Jagwah

17 May 2016

yeahright31 wrote:Because it's always unfair you start of with such hopeless weapons and yet face army tanks and all odds against ya
Yes I like a challenge but not to the point I feel like everyone is taking the piss.
I recommend playing Team Death Match games to build up your arsenal a little. I thought you had basic rockets and things to combat tanks to begin with but it's been a while. I highly recommend playing Hardcore Mode, I refuse to play anything else - there is no mini map showing everyone where everyone is (how unrealistic can you get?), and typically when faced with a tank with no weapons to combat it the idea is use stealth; hide behind a big rock or in a building and the tank will simply move on not knowing you are there. The campaign mode lasted me two days where the online features can last many years. It's great how the maps are so big, sometimes I like to hang back with a sniper rifle, sometimes take a tank or chopper or jet in to battle, and sometimes I take my auto shotty and rocket right to the bottle neck and pone noobs. I hope you give it another shot, it's such a great game.

yeahright31

18 May 2016

Jagwah wrote:
yeahright31 wrote:Because it's always unfair you start of with such hopeless weapons and yet face army tanks and all odds against ya
I recommend playing Team Death Match games to build up your arsenal a little. I thought you had basic rockets and things to combat tanks to begin with but it's been a while. I highly recommend playing Hardcore Mode, I refuse to play anything else - there is no mini map showing everyone where everyone is (how unrealistic can you get?), and typically when faced with a tank with no weapons to combat it the idea is use stealth; hide behind a big rock or in a building and the tank will simply move on not knowing you are there. The campaign mode lasted me two days where the online features can last many years. It's great how the maps are so big, sometimes I like to hang back with a sniper rifle, sometimes take a tank or chopper or jet in to battle, and sometimes I take my auto shotty and rocket right to the bottle neck and pone noobs. I hope you give it another shot, it's such a great game.

I loved both Battlefield 3 & 4 Campaign, I should give it another go. Don't like the direction COD has taken and I'm well over Call Of Duty series, although I'm not the only one. It would be great to take a control of a tank or chopper in Battlefield & how I tried many times but got owned and held a grudge, haha. Reading you're comment made me wanna give another try although now I have got some new samples the battle between music and gaming takes place too.

normen

18 May 2016

I love Battlefield, its so diverse with the vehicles, C4 and the likes. COD just seems like an eternal deathmatch in close quarters. I have to say though that I'm getting too old to keep up with the people on PC. You get insta-headshots from the other side of the map with these cranksters online ^^ Much better on console where the controller is kind of a "cap" on how fast / accurate you can move / aim. And most "serious" / "pro" players are on PC anyway.

Jagwah

18 May 2016

normen wrote:I love Battlefield, its so diverse with the vehicles, C4 and the likes. COD just seems like an eternal deathmatch in close quarters. I have to say though that I'm getting too old to keep up with the people on PC. You get insta-headshots from the other side of the map with these cranksters online ^^ Much better on console where the controller is kind of a "cap" on how fast / accurate you can move / aim. And most "serious" / "pro" players are on PC anyway.
I have heard this from PC gamers - that the PS3 controller (and xbox's whatever) can in no way compete with the accuracy of a QWERTY keyboard and mouse combination. I really don't understand this, OK the mouse I get - it's replaced with a thumb stick, but the keyboard is replaced with another thumbstick - these thumbsticks have thousands of levels of sensitivity (don't quote me on that) and the controller buttons also have levels of sensitivity - how can this not be better when compared to a typewriter set up where keys have one level of sensitivity (on or off)? If people are getting easy headshots from across the map easily this must be something to do with screen resolution or something else? You can do it with PS3 controllers too, it's not easy but it's doable. I don't know as I only played shooters briefly on PC a long time ago, any thoughts?

Anywho, here is the Battlefield trailer, due for release late this year. Practically the mirror opposite of where COD is going. I think it's fantastic and while many are questioning how good this can actually be with the era's lack of technology, it's left me salivating for the next instalment (WW2 or perhaps Vietnam).

Gorgon

18 May 2016

This is a Doom thread. Not Battlefield.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

• Information