ART's Tape Setting

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Abstrax

13 Feb 2016

Is it okay if I ask what's going on in the wash setting? It's really cool. It sounds a little like compression with a Band Pass Filter and Delay or something.

selig
RE Developer

14 Feb 2016

Abstrax wrote:Is it okay if I ask what's going on in the wash setting? It's really cool. It sounds a little like compression with a Band Pass Filter and Delay or something.
I can be more specific when I get home - I'm traveling now and don't have access to Reason. I'll be back home next week and will dig through it and can explain it in detail. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Abstrax

14 Feb 2016

selig wrote:
Abstrax wrote:Is it okay if I ask what's going on in the wash setting? It's really cool. It sounds a little like compression with a Band Pass Filter and Delay or something.
I can be more specific when I get home - I'm traveling now and don't have access to Reason. I'll be back home next week and will dig through it and can explain it in detail. :)
Awesome thanks! :D

Aikmofobi

18 Feb 2016

I'd quite like to know what's going on under the hood in the tape setting.

selig
RE Developer

18 Feb 2016

Aikmofobi wrote:I'd quite like to know what's going on under the hood in the tape setting.
Maybe you missed it, but it's all here in this Combinator:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/147 ... 0A.cmb.zip
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

18 Feb 2016

Don't know if this will help much, but basically the input is split and one path goes to a delay/low pass filter, while the other is a bit more complex: it goes to an EQ with a low mid boost, into a bit crusher, then a LPF set to a mid range frequency with some resonance, then a HPF set low with high resonance, then to a room reverb with one output feeding a distortion and the other feeding a compressor! I'd have to do more in-depth analysis so get more exact numbers - the bit crush and room reverb are probably the wild cards here, as they may be more difficult to find accurate replacements in the Reason world.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Aikmofobi

18 Feb 2016

selig wrote:Maybe you missed it, but it's all here in this Combinator:
Indeed I did. Thanks!

Fretless Fingers

18 Feb 2016

selig wrote:
Don't know if this will help much, but basically the input is split and one path goes to a delay/low pass filter, while the other is a bit more complex: it goes to an EQ with a low mid boost, into a bit crusher, then a LPF set to a mid range frequency with some resonance, then a HPF set low with high resonance, then to a room reverb with one output feeding a distortion and the other feeding a compressor! I'd have to do more in-depth analysis so get more exact numbers - the bit crush and room reverb are probably the wild cards here, as they may be more difficult to find accurate replacements in the Reason world.
Have to be honest, I use this setting VERY often. Chances are your in 60% of my music with the Wash and Tape settings.
come to think of it....
Scratch that 100% ,as I used setting you posted in the PUF way back for the bases of my SSL Master compressor
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

Yonatan

07 Jun 2016

I use ART in every mix, but agree that the mix knob are not blending as one would wish, so I end up only driving it at 100%.
I also use to put it as a send effect to go around this and can use it on several tracks in different degrees. I am dearly wishing PH to consider adding more send effects slots. Its a way to save some CPU burden. Several reverbs and delays etc. and the 8 slots are easily filled up. Give us some more! :)

Marco Raaphorst

07 Jun 2016

. .. . . . . . . . . .. . . .. . .. . .
Last edited by Marco Raaphorst on 07 Jun 2016, edited 2 times in total.

Marco Raaphorst

07 Jun 2016

selig wrote:
Aha, a whole lot of processing. NICE! :D

Marco Raaphorst

07 Jun 2016

In a way ART is like a Combinator of which you cannot show its devices. A custom Combinator. I feel this could mean a serious business idea on top of IDT en RE formats.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jun 2016

Yonatan wrote:I use ART in every mix, but agree that the mix knob are not blending as one would wish, so I end up only driving it at 100%.
I also use to put it as a send effect to go around this and can use it on several tracks in different degrees. I am dearly wishing PH to consider adding more send effects slots. Its a way to save some CPU burden. Several reverbs and delays etc. and the 8 slots are easily filled up. Give us some more! :)
Using a send has the same results as using the Blend knob. The reason for this in both cases is the filtering/EQ used to create the head bump/frequency response and I'm not sure there's any real way around this with the tools we had available.

A better way around this may be to adjust the input/output level to control the total drive amount. For "less" effect, turn down "Gain" and turn up "Volume". For more effect, do the opposite. I've used two Selig Gains in a Combinator, one before ART and the other after ART, with Rotary 1 turning the Trim Gain up on one while also turning it down on the other - keeps the overall level the same while increasing/decreasing the "effect".
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

07 Jun 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:In a way ART is like a Combinator of which you cannot show its devices. A custom Combinator. I feel this could mean a serious business idea on top of IDT en RE formats.
It is in fact exactly this!
It's a Combinator with one knob (Transform) that controls multiple parameters in a multi-FX type device.
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

07 Jun 2016

selig wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:In a way ART is like a Combinator of which you cannot show its devices. A custom Combinator. I feel this could mean a serious business idea on top of IDT en RE formats.
It's a Combinator with one knob (Transform) that controls multiple parameters in a multi-FX type device.
No extra scripting?

selig
RE Developer

07 Jun 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
selig wrote:
No extra scripting?
No more than what a Combinator has. In fact, exactly what a Combinator has…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Yonatan

07 Jun 2016

Ok. Good to know. I somehow thought it was to do with the knob on the Art that was the source and not the blending itself. I love the device but will try other ways to regulate it.

Marco Raaphorst

07 Jun 2016

selig wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
selig wrote:
No extra scripting?
No more than what a Combinator has. In fact, exactly what a Combinator has…
;)
So it's a Combinator with less pots and buttons and DRM on it?

Looks and sounds great though :)

nooomy

07 Jun 2016

Why no love for the tape setting in scream4?
I think its better than the art one because of the increased control

selig
RE Developer

07 Jun 2016

nooomy wrote:Why no love for the tape setting in scream4?
I think its better than the art one because of the increased control
That's one reason I created the Combinator - for even MORE control than Scream!
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Data_Shrine

13 Jun 2016

Scream4' tape is great.. but.. how come I missed on this for so long.. :O I could just sell my MT4X. (kidding.. but still!)

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ssor-no22/

Marco Raaphorst

14 Jun 2016

Scream is also the only Reason saturation device/setting which don't cause much aliasing when using the right amount of compression.

miscend

14 Jun 2016

So there's still room on the market for a fully modelled tape machine.

• Information