(Jazz) My new song

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jzquantum

01 Feb 2021

Hello Reasoners,

I wanted to share my new song and get your feedback on anything about it. The restrictions to go out and do simple things like have dinner put on us by COVID were my inspiration for writing it. Thanks!

Noises

01 Feb 2021

I'm impressed that you can play all of those instruments so well. From what I can hear, a very polished production. If you are interested, there is a jazz-only radio station around here that might play your music: https://jazz.fm

jzquantum

01 Feb 2021

Noises wrote:
01 Feb 2021
I'm impressed that you can play all of those instruments so well. From what I can hear, a very polished production. If you are interested, there is a jazz-only radio station around here that might play your music: https://jazz.fm
Cool, thanks for listening! I will check it out.

Rising Night Wave

01 Feb 2021

not bad. huuu! production is so clean. holy... that thing. lol. really.
but, okey, this is not my style of jazz, so sorry, okey. i will be straight: i do not like this song.
but from view of a composer and producer person i must say this is amazing. i am just an amateur. and i am amazed with your song's production.
congrats!

ps: only maybe sorry for poor post from my side. not professional at all. my pardon.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

jzquantum

01 Feb 2021

Rising Night Wave wrote:
01 Feb 2021
not bad. huuu! production is so clean. holy... that thing. lol. really.
but, okey, this is not my style of jazz, so sorry, okey. i will be straight: i do not like this song.
but from view of a composer and producer person i must say this is amazing. i am just an amateur. and i am amazed with your song's production.
congrats!

ps: only maybe sorry for poor post from my side. not professional at all. my pardon.
No problem, :thumbup: . I appreciate all comments and for you taking your time to listen. Hey I've definitely made some songs that even I didn't like, which I left on the digital cutting room floor.
:lol:

jzquantum

01 Feb 2021

For those interested, my song was made in Reason 10 with UAD plugins on an Apollo x8 interface, btw.

Noises

01 Feb 2021

jzquantum wrote:
01 Feb 2021
For those interested, my song was made in Reason 10 with UAD plugins on an Apollo x8 interface, btw.
Admittedly, plugins are the least of my problems when it comes to producing music. I have some more fundamental challenges :lol:

Having said that, do you find the UAD plugins give you that extra "something"? I am considering buying a new audio interface and UAD is the one I'm thinking of right now. How do you record your bass? Direct injection with UAD amp sim, miking an amp or a bit of both?

jzquantum

01 Feb 2021

Noises wrote:
01 Feb 2021
jzquantum wrote:
01 Feb 2021
Admittedly, plugins are the least of my problems when it comes to producing music. I have some more fundamental challenges :lol:

Having said that, do you find the UAD plugins give you that extra "something"? I am considering buying a new audio interface and UAD is the one I'm thinking of right now. How do you record your bass? Direct injection with UAD amp sim, miking an amp or a bit of both?
The UAD plugs and UA interface do give that extra something that for me is worth the price. I was a Focusrite user for many years (Scarlett 2i4, 18i20, ISA Two pre, and others), but I got tired of the badly designed software interface and noisy preamps. Once I got the Apollo, I realized how much I was missing all this time. The UA is expensive, but it is worth it in this case. UAD plugins are modelled very well.

I love the Neve 1084 plugin. I find myself running instruments or busses through it just for the sound of the preamp. I'll crank up the preamp gain, then lower the fader volume to a reasonable level. Another trick with this plug is to high pass the low end at 45 Hz, and then EQ the low end back up at 60 Hz. Similar trick with the low pass filter for the high end. I also like the Neve 33609C compressor a lot. I like the coloration it adds, even when it is not compressing at all. Really opens up my drum buss; a little goes a long way. The Massive Passive EQ is good too, as well as the DBX 160 compressor. There are several others that are good.

Once I got the hang of the Apollo x8 controls, I had no problem committing the UAD effects to DAW from the UAD Console app. That app is very good for my workflow. Love it because you get your sound right in no time, and then it is much less work when you go to mix your final song.

I record my bass DI. My usual chain is Neve 1084 > Pultec EQ> DBX 160. I don't record bass the same on every project, but that is pretty much what I did on the song I posted above. Other times, I will use my Distressor EL8-X if I want my bass a little more crunchy. If you go to my Bandcamp site again, listen to my song titled 'Romine and Ellis' I released in 2020 from the album of the same name. There is a distorted bass in the hook that I got by using the Distressor compressor.

Yonatan

01 Feb 2021

Nice production. Get a bit of 80’s jazz feel of the tune, Dont know why, it has that happy vibe and also the sax way of singing, that makes me think of the 80’s.

jzquantum

01 Feb 2021

Yonatan wrote:
01 Feb 2021
Nice production. Get a bit of 80’s jazz feel of the tune, Dont know why, it has that happy vibe and also the sax way of singing, that makes me think of the 80’s.
Good ear, lol. I was going for a 1970s - 1980s jazz sound...kinda like early Grover Washington Jr. crossed with a modern vibe.

Noises

02 Feb 2021

Thanks for sharing your production knowledge on the UAD stuff - appreciated! :thumbs_up:

jzquantum

02 Feb 2021

Noises wrote:
02 Feb 2021
Thanks for sharing your production knowledge on the UAD stuff - appreciated! :thumbs_up:
Sure, any time. :thumbs_up:

teddymcw

02 Feb 2021

Wow, really great interplay between all the instruments and even more generally all the elements if you will. Extremely clean mixing, your musicality shines!
I must admit when I heard the first 15 seconds I was like oh no, that sounds like a fairly midi type of electric bass sound, but then about 0:18 kicks in and from there everything is pretty mind blowingly quality. Cheers.

jzquantum

02 Feb 2021

teddymcw wrote:
02 Feb 2021
Wow, really great interplay between all the instruments and even more generally all the elements if you will. Extremely clean mixing, your musicality shines!
I must admit when I heard the first 15 seconds I was like oh no, that sounds like a fairly midi type of electric bass sound, but then about 0:18 kicks in and from there everything is pretty mind blowingly quality. Cheers.
Thanks, I appreciate the review! Throughout the whole song you are hearing my trusty Am. Fender jazz body/Warmoth jazz neck bass that I assembmed and setup. I recall it took 2 takes to get the bass line to where you heard it.

One of the hardest parts of song writing for me is the intro. I would argue that the intro is the most important to get right, as you will lose your listener pretty fast if it isn't interesting enough.

Mistro17

03 Feb 2021

I really like this! Makes me think of how sad I am that CD 101.9 is gone here in NYC. The best jazz station we had and I can see this getting played on there. Great job!

jzquantum

03 Feb 2021

Mistro17 wrote:
03 Feb 2021
I really like this! Makes me think of how sad I am that CD 101.9 is gone here in NYC. The best jazz station we had and I can see this getting played on there. Great job!
Thanks so much for the kind words!

gullum

03 Feb 2021

teddymcw wrote:
02 Feb 2021
funny I was also think midi sounding at start then it just got miles better :D

This is really good song

homemadenoise

03 Feb 2021

The bass sound so good at the start I was almost sad when the other instruments came in. DI or mic'ed?

Great work.

pushedbutton

03 Feb 2021

Wouldn't pin myself as a jazz fan but this kept me listening to the end.
Good Job, Great work on the mix.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

jzquantum

03 Feb 2021

gullum wrote:
03 Feb 2021
teddymcw wrote:
02 Feb 2021
funny I was also think midi sounding at start then it just got miles better :D

This is really good song
Haha! Thanks for the kind words! I orginally had a flute in the intro and outro, but decided to remove it at the last minute. Maybe the intro could have been better or would draw the listener in quicker if I had left it in.

Skimrok

04 Feb 2021

Jazz, I cant not help thinking of the fast show when they talk about Jazz :) that is one wicked tune , really good tune ,
now I want to go back to early Hip Hop stetsasonic talking all that jazz , that's about my crossover point

as I say really good tune I like it :thumbup:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

jzquantum

04 Feb 2021

Skimrok wrote:
04 Feb 2021
Jazz, I cant not help thinking of the fast show when they talk about Jazz :) that is one wicked tune , really good tune ,
now I want to go back to early Hip Hop stetsasonic talking all that jazz , that's about my crossover point

as I say really good tune I like it :thumbup:
Cool, thanks so much for your kind words!

Fotu

04 Feb 2021

Very nice! Also, great website you've assembled.

jzquantum

04 Feb 2021

Fotu wrote:
04 Feb 2021
Very nice! Also, great website you've assembled.
Thanks so much!

MannequinRaces

05 Feb 2021

I don’t know much about jazz but this song is SLICK! You definitely have something to be proud of here. Keep up the great work!

• Information