KRON CV Toolbox: looking for Patch Devs!

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
starship
RE Developer

11 Dec 2015

Hey folks! This is Mark from Alien Seed Tech. I'm still looking for more patch makers for the KRON, and the KRON has been upgraded a lot since I last posted in here. It now has a waveform editor (curved or stepped via a variable number of points), LFO display / scope, and other things I've forgotten. So if you're interested in making patches for it, and you're good at it :), send an email to support@alien-seed.com or just a PM on here.

Basically it's a CV toolbox: 4 LFOs with a lot of controls, a grid combiner with delay, 2 quantizers / gate generators, gate and quantizer channels, a real simple envelope (see the PSDN :)), user controls (knobs/buttons and 2/3/4 variable pad), two main displays for waveform editing and LFO/scope viewing, powerful mod sections, tons of back panel connections, useful general controls, plenty of lamps that light up for various things, help popups on each section, etc. This screenshot is just me messing around for 5 minutes to put something in here, showing a few different things:
kron_demo.png
kron_demo.png (790.23 KiB) Viewed 3344 times

starship
RE Developer

11 Dec 2015

I have a few patch devs on board, but I figure more is good!

Also I'm kinda hesitant to put a screenshot in yet, but I'm working on version 2.0 of the PSDN CV Envelope Generator. It's pretty rad. Polyphonic output so it can use many instruments (probably low-powered ones like built-in Reason ones) to produce a polyphonic combi patch. Chained I/O for connecting multiple PSDNs together, summing their output, triggering each other, etc. Front panel displays of the poly envelopes plus a wide display of the envelopes to see exactly what the faders and knobs are doing.

It'll be a free upgrade, and it won't be done this month, that's for sure. :) But it's coming along! And it will make the PSDN far more useful (and usable), especially for instrument patches.

dioxide

14 Dec 2015

Looks like an incredibly powerful device but I fear you might be the only person able to understand it! Could it be made more user friendly somehow?

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2015

dioxide wrote:Looks like an incredibly powerful device but I fear you might be the only person able to understand it! Could it be made more user friendly somehow?
I've been working on and using Kron for some time now and while on first look it was a bit daunting, things do work very well and it is not only a 'device to rule them all' but a 'go to' as well.

Mark has put two Krons in the screenshot which makes it seem more over whelming too.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

decibel

15 Dec 2015

just make sure you put out some thorough tutorials as well when you release it yeah, looks like fun ;)

DNA Apocalypse

15 Dec 2015

Wow, this device looks very very very cool.... Now you have me wondering what the back looks like! Nice job on the gui also, it looks very futuristic.
DNA-LABS-SOFTWARE.COM :reason: :refill: :re:

dvdrtldg

15 Dec 2015

If it's anything like PSDN, then yes a crowded UI and a little forbidding at first, but ultimately not too hard to get your head around. The more you use it, the easier (and more useful) it gets

Skullture

16 Dec 2015

@§starship might be offtopic, but I'd go for a different font color in ur UI

starship
RE Developer

17 Dec 2015

Thanks for the compliments, guys! :)

Here's the back:
kron_back.png
kron_back.png (274.53 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Yeah, the UI... you'll get the hang of it. :) I know it looks daunting, and yeah, partially because there's 2 KRONs in that shot. But I think it makes more sense once you see it in action. There are a lot of options and ways to use it, but it's also a pretty straightforward LFO generator. Most of what it can do can safely be ignored most of the time, and a lot of that lights up when you use it so it stands out. I know it's super dense... I had considered spreading it out but then I ended up adding another 2U of displays. There's pros and cons. One of the reasons why it's dense, specifically the LFOs and grid, is so that it's easy to spot the various options each LFO has without moving your eyes' focus much. So it's easier to grok the LFOs at a glance than it would be if each of the widgets had plenty of space and its own text label, etc. And I'm still working on the UI. :) Some of the newer knob layouts I can tell right now should be on my todo list.

@Skullture Hmm. Font color. Suggestions? And for the menus, the labels? Other font colors are used for special things (not all displayed here), but green is the main one.

starship
RE Developer

17 Dec 2015

Yeah, the UI... it's been a long road, lots of learning and experimenting. Various bits that if I could do over I would do differently. But I think it works pretty well. Benedict used it before these display upgrades, so he can appreciate how much easier it is to use now at least. :)

And I did change a lot of it based on user feedback. That's what got me to put in the 2d displays recently, which makes it so much easier to use. So I'm kinda defensive about it, rattling on here and above. :) But I'm pretty stoked that a bunch of you think it looks good. Like I said, it's been a long road to get here: over 2 years. Still a ways to go. :)

DNA Apocalypse

17 Dec 2015

WOW .... I love the super denseness in the device, but then again the average person has no idea what a random lfo modulating a bp24 filter with 30% resonance tempo synced at 1/32 triplets on a180 tempo with pan modulation routed to an inverted envelope. If you know what I just said chances are you love the denseness!
DNA-LABS-SOFTWARE.COM :reason: :refill: :re:

starship
RE Developer

17 Dec 2015

haha! DNA Apocalypse, that makes me really happy. :)

dvdrtldg

17 Dec 2015

DNA Apocalypse wrote:WOW .... I love the super denseness in the device, but then again the average person has no idea what a random lfo modulating a bp24 filter with 30% resonance tempo synced at 1/32 triplets on a180 tempo with pan modulation routed to an inverted envelope.
Well that just gave me a massive horn

Loque

17 Jan 2016

So... When will it be released? I hope it can solve some lack of other envelope generators.
Reason12, Win10

starship
RE Developer

17 Jan 2016

Oh, soon. Not that soon but soon enough.. ? :) I got sidetracked, working on the PSDN upgrade, which is also pretty close. That's what you want if you're looking for an envelope generator. It'll be polyphonic, chainable, with nice displays. It's real versatile.
psdn_front.png
psdn_front.png (118.9 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
psdn_back.png
psdn_back.png (113.97 KiB) Viewed 3139 times

starship
RE Developer

17 Jan 2016

Oops, I selected a PSDN without much curving. Here:
psdn_front_2.png
psdn_front_2.png (119.23 KiB) Viewed 3139 times

starship
RE Developer

17 Jan 2016

Here's a couple screenshots of the KRON:
kron_front.png
kron_front.png (368.52 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
kron_back.png
kron_back.png (252.27 KiB) Viewed 3139 times

Loque

17 Jan 2016

I am a lil bit confused by all that sliders and stuff, but i defenetly going to try it. Would be interesting if i can use it similar to Movement (Blamsoft or so) as an oscilator...

So looks like i got to wait a bit more. Good luck with your upgrade of psdn and with finishing kron.
Reason12, Win10

starship
RE Developer

18 Jan 2016

Cool. The PSDN won't have audio capability. Is that what you mean? The KRON doesn't now, but I was considering it. It would be a pain in the ass because I've maxed things out there, and the LFO code isn't really written to scale like that, so I dunno. If I don't do it, I'll probably do it for a future derivative device. It's still on my possible/think-about-it todo list. We'll see. :)

Loque

19 Jan 2016

Go for landing, starship! I just asked to know, and it would be nice, but is not neccessary...

It's enuough if i can do cool free editable envelops with looping and LFOs.
Reason12, Win10

starship
RE Developer

19 Jan 2016

:) Cool. No, seriously, it occurred to me a month ago or so, and I almost implemented it and then decided to think about it for a bit and figure out how limited I was, etc... and then I just dived into making the PSDN a beast. :) I originally decided not to do audio in order to keep things simple, and just had it out of my mind for so long until my beta testers started asking. Like a lot of things, if I had planned accordingly from the start, 2 years ago ;), it might have happened. It might still. If it doesn't, I'll make a device that does it, designed to interface with the PSDN's massive parallel output. Basically the PSDN will be great for making polyphonic combi patches with multiple instruments serving as the voices, and chained up PSDNs sending envelopes to those instruments for as many mods as you want. And then KRONs for the LFOs I guess. :) But an instrument designed to take in multiple envelopes for each of its voices would remove the need for multiple instruments.

We'll see! I'm definitely going to think about it more. :)

Ashpool

31 Jan 2017

Any update about KRON or PSDN 2.0? The last post is more than a year ago and I'm curious if it is still in development? ;)

Benedict
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2017

Still happening, both of em. Things are getting closer but no firm ETA.

Mr Seed tends to add things as he is going so Kron and PSDN have become massively detailed/powerful projects now. Mr Seed says there are some bugs that need killing before final stages.

I want em out now as I want to use them more freely. My new album contains a track or two that just wouldn't sound the same without them.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Ashpool

31 Jan 2017

Thanks, Benedict! :puf_smile:
Nice to hear this.

starship
RE Developer

02 Feb 2017

Hey! Sorry for the infrequent updates. Here's a screenshot with fairly random settings for both. And the ETA is soon. :) -ish.
psdn and kron.png
psdn and kron.png (771.74 KiB) Viewed 2930 times

• Information