Sound Designers' Workflow

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
OverneathTheSkyBridg

31 Aug 2016

Hopefully this is the correct part of RT to ask. I was wondering if anyone who does sound design either professionally or personally wanted to give insight as to your personal workflow behind refills and their creation. I would be interested in hearing designers' perspectives on both sample based and synth patch based design. What do you use to inspire you? Do you just noodle around and save your patch anytime you have something that sounds good? Do you do any field recordings for you sample based refills? Use fixed architecture or modular synthesizers?

I think in the wake of all these rack extensions the relevance of refills gets lost in the hype, so I think it would be cool to hear about the amount of work that goes into creating some of the refills out there. I'd imagine it's a lot, and any and all replies are welcome.

bitley

31 Aug 2016

I am in a working process this week and I can say I work about 15 hours straight. Today I've been buzy organizing the files. Other times I program sounds. One patch can take up to 2-3 hours to create before I am satisfied. Loops used to be ultra tedious to work with, got better with the audio editor. I prefer not having to leave the Reason environment. With Subtractor programming it's much easier and I save whenever it's good yes.

dana

02 Sep 2016

I've been making my own samples collection while on holiday, mainly heavily processing sounds using rack extensions It took about a month to create 650 Mb of synth samples.

i've been making some impulse responses and field recordings, its still time consuming going out and recording them then editing them. I would say it takes forever to design and record new sounds nobody has heard before, but designing patches for one synth on its own is a lot easier and should take 20-30 minutes to make a thor patch if you know what you are doing. Thats still around 25 patches a day.. You can see why not many people design patches / sell refills now, it takes forever.

• Information