Reason 13 Gain Tool <—> Selig Gain

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jamesbailey

02 May 2024

Does Selig at least get some kind of royalties? :D

Kidding aside, I have long used an instance of Selig Gain after every plug-in/effect in my mixer channel for gain staging, so I'm really interested in comparing the two. Any comment from the man himself?

Loque

02 May 2024

tool2.jpg
tool2.jpg (21.08 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Reason12, Win10

Pepin

02 May 2024

There's overlap, but there are still quite a few features that seem unique to Selig Gain (mute/fade, pan law, digital peak display, etc.).
There's also seemingly no bypass switch on Gain Tool.

I can see myself using both personally.

Karim
Competition Winner

02 May 2024

In my opinion, these two racks couldn't be more different.
I don't think we're even remotely talking about plagiarism.

jamesbailey wrote:
02 May 2024

Kidding aside, I have long used an instance of Selig Gain after every plug-in/effect in my mixer channel for gain staging, so I'm really interested in comparing the two. Any comment from the man himself?
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 May 2024

Selig Gain rocks. Selig Curve rocks.
R12
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

02 May 2024

Karim wrote:
02 May 2024
jamesbailey wrote:
02 May 2024

Oh man, I totally agree - no plagiarism here.
Backstory: I was surprised there was no gain tool in Reason even after adding audio recording, so I made one. I fully expected it to be replaced by a native device years ago, so I've had quite an unexpected and long run!

I think this new device is necessary to allow simple gain devices to be included in Combinator without having to have a third part solution, and I look forward to it for that reason. It's also cool to finally have a native crossfader and simple two channel summing in Reason as well as a routing option (I'll be showing some useful tips for that feature in a future post).

And luckily there are also many things Selig Gain does that the new tool doesn't.
These include an almost full featured folded view, Mute, Auto Fade, Pan Laws, a Peak Hold meter (one of the most useful features for me), CV OUTPUTs (they both have CV inputs) for Fader/Pan (useful for linking multiple units and other odd jobs), and the ability to also work on CV signals (trimming, muting, inverting).
Selig Audio, LLC

jamesbailey

02 May 2024

I wasn't trying to argue plagiarism, just thought I'd make a joke to jumpstart a conversation about two similar-seeming devices (I guess "kidding aside" wasn't enough to point that out). Considering how often I use Selig Gain, I was genuinely interested in a conversation around the features of each device — everyone has made great points about what Selig Gain offers that Gain does not, (No bypass for Gain? That's so crazy I never even noticed! There can't be many Reason effects without a bypass) and I imagine after the upgrade I'll continue to use Selig's awesome device.

Started with just Rebirth way back in the day and have enjoyed the robust conversations, debates & troubleshooting/tips & techniques this community offers, from the Propellerheads User Forum to ReasonTalk. I'll just go back to "lurker mode" now :lol:

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 May 2024

I use the free Kilohearts gain RE for simply gaining.

michael.jaye

02 May 2024

Steedus wrote:
02 May 2024
I use the free Kilohearts gain RE for simply gaining.
Me too!

Karim
Competition Winner

03 May 2024

Of course, however, I don't deny that Reason often arrives late after brilliant tools (for example a Curve where I'm totally addicted :clap: ) which arrive a little late for our times. Luckily you have filled these gaps although I must say they are unforgivable.
Also the pumping (which I feel is inspired a little by that other rack that I often use). I believe that Reason Studios draws at least "inspiration" from previous rack extensions
selig wrote:
02 May 2024
Karim wrote:
02 May 2024

Oh man, I totally agree - no plagiarism here.
Backstory: I was surprised there was no gain tool in Reason even after adding audio recording, so I made one. I fully expected it to be replaced by a native device years ago, so I've had quite an unexpected and long run!

I think this new device is necessary to allow simple gain devices to be included in Combinator without having to have a third part solution, and I look forward to it for that reason. It's also cool to finally have a native crossfader and simple two channel summing in Reason as well as a routing option (I'll be showing some useful tips for that feature in a future post).

And luckily there are also many things Selig Gain does that the new tool doesn't.
These include an almost full featured folded view, Mute, Auto Fade, Pan Laws, a Peak Hold meter (one of the most useful features for me), CV OUTPUTs (they both have CV inputs) for Fader/Pan (useful for linking multiple units and other odd jobs), and the ability to also work on CV signals (trimming, muting, inverting).
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

RobBarnett

04 May 2024

Real question is not about plagiarism but rather does the RS device do anything more than the Selig Device?
We know the Selig device has additional features over the RS device

selig
RE Developer

04 May 2024

RobBarnett wrote:
04 May 2024
Real question is not about plagiarism but rather does the RS device do anything more than the Selig Device?
We know the Selig device has additional features over the RS device
Gain Tool features Selig Gain lacks:
can be a cross fader or two channel stereo mixer, output router, invert polarity on individual channels, swap L/R without using pan knobs, and has both dual pan and pan/width (balance control).
Selig Audio, LLC

Pepin

04 May 2024

jamesbailey wrote:
02 May 2024
No bypass for Gain? That's so crazy I never even noticed! There can't be many Reason effects without a bypass
The decision probably comes down to the Combinator's Bypass FX button. For this type of device, I can see arguments for and against disabling it when that button is pressed.

Theo.M

04 May 2024

After looking at both in the screenshots, I will continue to use Selig gain - to me it is perhaps the most fundamental RE of my entire mixing process, I rely on it so heavily. I had never seen a gain plugin so flawlessly implemented pre the Selig, pure perfection.

Abstrax

04 May 2024

Either way, it's long overdue to have a stock device like ableton's utility.
i can only hope it uses 0% cpu like a lot of other stock devices. if that's the case, i'll end up using it like 100 times in each project lol

selig
RE Developer

04 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
04 May 2024
jamesbailey wrote:
02 May 2024
No bypass for Gain? That's so crazy I never even noticed! There can't be many Reason effects without a bypass
The decision probably comes down to the Combinator's Bypass FX button. For this type of device, I can see arguments for and against disabling it when that button is pressed.
the “Gain” button bypasses the gain part of the device, but not for the rest of the device
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information