was i dreaming or was this rack extension real ?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
choomanching

23 Jun 2023

was there a free piano rack extension ? because i grabbed it and now it’s not in my account was i dreaming ?

EnochLight

23 Jun 2023

choomanching wrote:
23 Jun 2023
was i dreaming ?
You were dreaming. That said, Reason's Radical Piano RE has been included free with Reason since version 10, but it was an optional download.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

23 Jun 2023

I think I saw a free piano Combinator/ReFill in the shop recently, but it's not a RE. So if it's that, that might explain why you aren't seeing it if you are looking under REs...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

joeyluck wrote:
23 Jun 2023
I think I saw a free piano Combinator/ReFill in the shop recently, but it's not a RE. So if it's that, that might explain why you aren't seeing it if you are looking under REs...
Man. You are sharp!!! Awesome.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

QVprod

23 Jun 2023

Are you sure it was in the shop? I know I saw this flying around recently https://rabbeatsinstruments.gumroad.com ... Bv6R_Rt3AY

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

QVprod wrote:
23 Jun 2023
Are you sure it was in the shop? I know I saw this flying around recently https://rabbeatsinstruments.gumroad.com ... Bv6R_Rt3AY

That’s the one I got in the Shop.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

QVprod

23 Jun 2023

MrFigg wrote:
23 Jun 2023
QVprod wrote:
23 Jun 2023

That’s the one I got in the Shop.
You're right. It is in the shop. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/prod ... vier-noir/

just "purchased" it to check and it shows up in my account. Check under Refills

EnochLight

23 Jun 2023

OK, that's a pretty cool use of skins for a Combinator. If I had any complaint, it's that they used standard Combi panel assets for boxes around the knobs. It would look cooler if they made the skins fill the entire boxes and made floating borders or some sort of graphical candy around the knobs instead, but... at this point I'm just splitting hairs. Free is free, and all that! :lol: :clap: :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

choomanching

23 Jun 2023

yeah that was it i have 11 so no good for me i must have been tired i thought it was a rack extension lol thanks , at least i wasn’t dreaming

EnochLight

25 Jun 2023

choomanching wrote:
23 Jun 2023
yeah that was it i have 11 so no good for me i must have been tired i thought it was a rack extension lol thanks , at least i wasn’t dreaming
You should have Radical Piano at least (which, frankly, sounds a lot better than the Combi mentioned above as that's just some NNXT's ran through some effects).

choomanching

30 Jul 2023

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jun 2023
choomanching wrote:
23 Jun 2023
You should have Radical Piano at least (which, frankly, sounds a lot better than the Combi mentioned above as that's just some NNXT's ran through some effects).
it is original samples though isn’t it ?

Aosta

30 Jul 2023

choomanching wrote:
30 Jul 2023

As far as I remember all samples were created exclusively for the RE
Tend the flame

choomanching

31 Jul 2023

Aosta wrote:
30 Jul 2023
choomanching wrote:
30 Jul 2023

As far as I remember all samples were created exclusively for the RE
that’s what i mean i think i didn’t think it was taken from
factory it sounds good

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2023

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jun 2023
choomanching wrote:
23 Jun 2023
Reason Pianos, is NNXT ran trhough some effects, was done in 2005 or 2006 and sounds way better than Radical Piano, wich sounds like a honky tonk toy.
Do not underestimate the power of NNXT. It is long due an upgrade, with some stuff they included in Mimic, plus HD streaming, but it is still a great sampler, imho.

choomanching

31 Jul 2023

mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
EnochLight wrote:
25 Jun 2023

Reason Pianos, is NNXT ran trhough some effects, was done in 2005 or 2006 and sounds way better than Radical Piano, wich sounds like a honky tonk toy.
Do not underestimate the power of NNXT. It is long due an upgrade, with some stuff they included in Mimic, plus HD streaming, but it is still a great sampler, imho.
i have 11 which doesn’t have mimic

i will
use the nnxt from
this refill though i know i miss out on the combinator 2 but im
gonna wait and see if 13 ever emerges

EnochLight

31 Jul 2023

mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
Disagree. Radical Piano has sympathetic resonance and realistic hammer action, and doesn't sound remotely close to a honky tonk toy. But cool you prefer the Reason Piano refill. I've got that as well. :thumbup:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2023

EnochLight wrote:
31 Jul 2023
mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
Disagree. Radical Piano has sympathetic resonance and realistic hammer action, and doesn't sound remotely close to a honky tonk toy. But cool you prefer the Reason Piano refill. I've got that as well. :thumbup:
Well, it has sympatethic resonance and realistic hammer action, but the problem is the tone is crap. It was a failed opportunity imho. It makes me mad, because if it had the sound of the 3 pianos in RDK, it would be great. As it is, it's just another crap in the rack.

PS.: And then they did it worse with the processed pianos, the pedal implementation is hideous and the resonance is yucky. And thats why after almost 20 years i still use the Reason Pianos refill or East West Pianos gold.

choomanching

31 Jul 2023

mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
EnochLight wrote:
31 Jul 2023

Well, it has sympatethic resonance and realistic hammer action, but the problem is the tone is crap. It was a failed opportunity imho. It makes me mad, because if it had the sound of the 3 pianos in RDK, it would be great. As it is, it's just another crap in the rack.

PS.: And then they did it worse with the processed pianos, the pedal implementation is hideous and the resonance is yucky. And thats why after almost 20 years i still use the Reason Pianos refill or East West Pianos gold.
what do u think of the refill here ?

EnochLight

31 Jul 2023

mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
Horse pucky. The tone is not crap at all - might need to get your hearing checked. ;) :lol: It's all subjective anyway.
mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
There's a plethora of piano VST that sound absiolutely better, but that's not what this thread is about.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2023

EnochLight wrote:
31 Jul 2023
mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
Horse pucky. The tone is not crap at all - might need to get your hearing checked. ;) :lol: It's all subjective anyway.
mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
There's a plethora of piano VST that sound absiolutely better, but that's not what this thread is about.
Well, it is not horse pucky when its true.

And about it being subjective, the thing is hyper distorted, and even more natural patches feel subdued, and there are detuned notes (higher G, G# have detuned second harmonics, D3 is completely detuned too and there are others). It shows Radikal Piano is a hybrid (it uses samples and some flavor of phisical modelling), but again they crapped the tonal component and no matter what i do i can't get rid of this distortion and detuned harmonics because its on the tonal component.
I know i'm blint, but imho, It's crap.
And don't tell my a real piano sounds like this because it simply doesn't (unless it is not tuned for like 3 years). I've played piano for the best part of my life and a real piano does not sound like that unless it's a crappy uncared piano.

The thread was not about Radikal Piano and yet here we are.

My ears are quite fine, thank you.
Last edited by mcatalao on 31 Jul 2023, edited 1 time in total.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2023

choomanching wrote:
31 Jul 2023
mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023

This sounds more like a subdoed old piano, but I'm on a PC with really bad sound so I'll have to check it later. Not a bad thing per se, this kind of thing works really nince on some stuff. I wouldn't get it because Reason Pianos already has a steinwey K (vertical) and i have Reason abbey road keys wich has ms mills and a challen that sound pretty much like this. But free its free, so if you have a use for it...

choomanching

31 Jul 2023

mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
choomanching wrote:
31 Jul 2023

This sounds more like a subdoed old piano, but I'm on a PC with really bad sound so I'll have to check it later. Not a bad thing per se, this kind of thing works really nince on some stuff. I wouldn't get it because Reason Pianos already has a steinwey K (vertical) and i have Reason abbey road keys wich has ms mills and a challen that sound pretty much like this. But free its free, so if you have a use for it...

yeah i don’t have abbey road so i really like this

and the id8 steinway piano is from reason pianos a close up single mic version

i also have the gentleman from Ni but i’m
selling it on ebay

if anyone’s interested as

i’m not using vst anymore as im going to produce on a laptop so things like this are gold for me right now cheers

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2023

choomanching wrote:
31 Jul 2023

Then, go for it, it's free! ;)

IMHO, no matter what, it's good to see somebody making refills again. It was/is a great sound design tool, the combinator transforms reason into a gigantic sound design app and you can spend ages doing and exploring new sounds with it.

EnochLight

31 Jul 2023

mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
Well, it is not horse pucky when its true.

And about it being subjective, the thing is hyper distorted, and even more natural patches feel subdued, and there are detuned notes (higher G, G# have detuned second harmonics, D3 is completely detuned too and there are others). It shows Radikal Piano is a hybrid (it uses samples and some flavor of phisical modelling), but again they crapped the tonal component and no matter what i do i can't get rid of this distortion and detuned harmonics because its on the tonal component.
I know i'm blint, but imho, It's crap.
And don't tell my a real piano sounds like this because it simply doesn't (unless it is not tuned for like 3 years). I've played piano for the best part of my life and a real piano does not sound like that unless it's a crappy uncared piano.

The thread was not about Radikal Piano and yet here we are.

My ears are quite fine, thank you.

Sounds 100% subjective, dude. Radical Piano sounds awesome, is completely usable, has features that Refills simply cannot replicate, and... that's a fact. But I do understand you believe what you believe, and you're welcome to go to your grave believing that. But I think your frustration is that Radical Piano doesn't accurately emulate any pianos you've played, and to your ears that means = crap. I get that. But I never thought that was Radical Piano's intended purpose anyway. Could be wrong. Always thought it was more of a special effects type piano.

choomanching

31 Jul 2023

mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
choomanching wrote:
31 Jul 2023

Then, go for it, it's free! ;)

IMHO, no matter what, it's good to see somebody making refills again. It was/is a great sound design tool, the combinator transforms reason into a gigantic sound design app and you can spend ages doing and exploring new sounds with it.
i’m on reason 11 so only get nnxt in the refill

but that’s cool i like the basic sounds to edit myself

• Information