was i dreaming or was this rack extension real ?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
QVprod

31 Jul 2023

EnochLight wrote:
31 Jul 2023
mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
Well, it is not horse pucky when its true.

And about it being subjective, the thing is hyper distorted, and even more natural patches feel subdued, and there are detuned notes (higher G, G# have detuned second harmonics, D3 is completely detuned too and there are others). It shows Radikal Piano is a hybrid (it uses samples and some flavor of phisical modelling), but again they crapped the tonal component and no matter what i do i can't get rid of this distortion and detuned harmonics because its on the tonal component.
I know i'm blint, but imho, It's crap.
And don't tell my a real piano sounds like this because it simply doesn't (unless it is not tuned for like 3 years). I've played piano for the best part of my life and a real piano does not sound like that unless it's a crappy uncared piano.

The thread was not about Radikal Piano and yet here we are.

My ears are quite fine, thank you.

Sounds 100% subjective, dude. Radical Piano sounds awesome, is completely usable, has features that Refills simply cannot replicate, and... that's a fact. But I do understand you believe what you believe, and you're welcome to go to your grave believing that. But I think your frustration is that Radical Piano doesn't accurately emulate any pianos you've played, and to your ears that means = crap. I get that. But I never thought that was Radical Piano's intended purpose anyway. Could be wrong. Always thought it was more of a special effects type piano.
To be fair Radical Piano is/was marketed to be “natural sounding” and for that it fails more than it succeeds, particularly in the middle to higher octaves…Perhaps it’s a piano player thing. I share that with mcatalao Great if you intentionally want something more Lo-fi sounding though.

As far as the refill in question, I still haven’t gotten around to playing it but the demos got me to download it.

choomanching

31 Jul 2023

EnochLight wrote:
31 Jul 2023
mcatalao wrote:
31 Jul 2023
Well, it is not horse pucky when its true.

And about it being subjective, the thing is hyper distorted, and even more natural patches feel subdued, and there are detuned notes (higher G, G# have detuned second harmonics, D3 is completely detuned too and there are others). It shows Radikal Piano is a hybrid (it uses samples and some flavor of phisical modelling), but again they crapped the tonal component and no matter what i do i can't get rid of this distortion and detuned harmonics because its on the tonal component.
I know i'm blint, but imho, It's crap.
And don't tell my a real piano sounds like this because it simply doesn't (unless it is not tuned for like 3 years). I've played piano for the best part of my life and a real piano does not sound like that unless it's a crappy uncared piano.

The thread was not about Radikal Piano and yet here we are.

My ears are quite fine, thank you.

Sounds 100% subjective, dude. Radical Piano sounds awesome, is completely usable, has features that Refills simply cannot replicate, and... that's a fact. But I do understand you believe what you believe, and you're welcome to go to your grave believing that. But I think your frustration is that Radical Piano doesn't accurately emulate any pianos you've played, and to your ears that means = crap. I get that. But I never thought that was Radical Piano's intended purpose anyway. Could be wrong. Always thought it was more of a special effects type piano.
i gotta admit i like making electronic music
but i’ve played on real uprights
and that refill sounds better to me
i really wanted radical piano to be my upright
but it ain’t it
and yes it might sound ok for some stuff but man play some actual chords or some little melody’s up and down on a full size keyboard or digital piano
and you can’t compare say native instruments the gentleman to radical pianos upright samples

it’s just thin in comparison

no if i’m laying down electronic pop
edm

or synthwave or whatever a bit of radical
could come in

but for solo piano it won’t hold up

i do like it and i do use it for some things

but just compare it to better pianos playing the same things

madmacman

01 Aug 2023

choomanching wrote:
31 Jul 2023
but it ain’t it
and yes it might sound ok for some stuff but man play some actual chords or some little melody’s up and down on a full size keyboard or digital piano
and you can’t compare say native instruments the gentleman to radical pianos upright samples

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always took the Radical Piano as a "digital" piano, like the 90s Romplers or Korg M1 etc. And as a digital piano it works really well.

If I want authentic acoustic piano, I prefer other options (e.g. the already named Piano Refill).

EnochLight

01 Aug 2023

choomanching wrote:
31 Jul 2023
but it ain’t it
That's cool, but to say Radical Piano sounds like crap is missing the plot.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mcatalao
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2023

EnochLight wrote:
31 Jul 2023
"But I think your frustration is that Radical Piano doesn't accurately emulate any pianos you've played, and to your ears that means = crap. I get that. But I never thought that was Radical Piano's intended purpose anyway. Could be wrong. Always thought it was more of a special effects type piano.
Nah, the special effects piano is the processed pianos. Both Radikal Pianos and RPI were annouced as a piano to use in your songs, rather than a solo piano. But one sounds good and the other doesn't... :/

Nonetheless, it is frustrating because the resonance, the pedal, the key sounds are all ok, but the core sound is crap. The only time i was able to produce a good sound with Radical was by reducing the sound of the strings, increase the sounds of everything else (resonance, sustain pedal noises, etc) and add them to one of the RPI pianos and toss them into a combinator.

Oh well, no matter what I'll keep my opinion and you'll keep your.

Cheers.
MC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2023

choomanching wrote:
31 Jul 2023
EnochLight wrote:
31 Jul 2023

but it ain’t it

no if i’m laying down electronic pop
edm

or synthwave or whatever a bit of radical
could come in

but for solo piano it won’t hold up

i do like it and i do use it for some things

but just compare it to better pianos playing the same things
I do a lot of stuff with piano, it's my main instrument and i played regularly on real pianos. I also have 3 flavours of digital pianos here (a yamaha P115, a yamaha p45 and a roland rd88 that serves as my studio keyboard and live keyboard). From these 3 the most simmilar to Radicak is the crappy P45 that's used by my daughter as a study piano.

I can let an electronic production pass, but the fact is, my stuff that i do with piano (i do a lot of new age like stuff where the piano is quite exposed, and i like a clean piano with not much distortion, just enough resonance, but lots of dynamics ) as one of the most important instruments, i can't for the sake of it use Radical. so i go back to RPI, or East West for solo stuff. Not a problem, but Radical is the piano that could have been.

EnochLight

01 Aug 2023

mcatalao wrote:
01 Aug 2023
Oh well, no matter what I'll keep my opinion and you'll keep your [opinion].
That's some actual crap we can agree on. :clap: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mcatalao
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2023

QVprod wrote:
31 Jul 2023

To be fair Radical Piano is/was marketed to be “natural sounding” and for that it fails more than it succeeds, particularly in the middle to higher octaves…Perhaps it’s a piano player thing. I share that with mcatalao Great if you intentionally want something more Lo-fi sounding though.

As far as the refill in question, I still haven’t gotten around to playing it but the demos got me to download it.
Yep, that's the main issue, 3rd to 6th octave, some notes even sound detuned to me. And i feel it's at the core. It's frustrating because it could be great.

benjified

01 Aug 2023

Has a Radical Piano ever fallen down several stories and killed somebody? Didn’t think so. Checkmate atheists.

EnochLight

01 Aug 2023

benjified wrote:
01 Aug 2023
Has a Radical Piano ever fallen down several stories and killed somebody? Didn’t think so. Checkmate atheists.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Information