Rob papen Rhythm guitar / skrock solar 5

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dakta

19 May 2022

Rob papen Rhythm guitar / skrock solar 5 - These extensions are very much at the opposite ends of the spectrum from each other but I'm still trying to maximise my virtual instrument portfolio whilst the sales last and I'm really liking the sound of both of these. Obsession was my target ultimately but I will wait for that to be on sale.

Solar 5 because the youtube vids i've found some awesome and definitely my area genrewise, Rob Papen Rhythm guitar because I very occasionally dip my toe into more acoustic and cliche pop style genres and really struggle on the guitar side, I discovered this by chance and the concept sounds great even though I've read some negative-ish comments on here.

So the questions:

1) what experiences do people have of the rob papen rhyhtm guitar synth, even if it was just used as a placeholder for a future recording did it benefit you? The videos sound good but they're designed to sound good

2) Solar 5 also interests me and I can just about scrape it i think before the sales ends, whats it like for presets in terms of number, can you jump in and go?

I appreciate mentioning presets is probably going to win me some frowns but what I like doing in summer evenings is improvising and patch scrolling, I've started a lot of better projects that way so its my method, I generally go on to tweak to suit. I love stuff you can jump into at least initially.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 May 2022

I have nothing against Rob Papen stuff in general. They have some good stuff for sure. But RGRE is the exception for me. I guess because I'm originally a guitarist and I can tell the difference between what's real and what's not. I just can't stand how fake RGRE sounds. Sounds completely robotic and sterile to me. I don't mind robotic if that's the sound someone's going for. But somehow I don't think that's what Papen was aiming for with this RE.

But if YOU like it, it really doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks about it. But you should know that you won't fool any guitarist thinking RGRE is an actual guitar player playing the rhythms.
But there are plenty of REs that other people like that I don't like and vice versa. And that's fine. You like what you like.

dakta

19 May 2022

I don't do much that would require a rhythm guitar but there are exceptions. Thanks for your realistic take on things, the guitar is something that really, you're not going to get a refill or rack extension that can replace a real one but to some extent that may extend to other instruments too. I can get something quite reasonable sounding out of processed pianos but I imagine players will spot it in an instant.

When I could use some guitar work, the options are a bit limited:

1- use something like rob papens guitar or purchase some samples and try and concont something - if this can work it'd be ideal but we can risk it being quite cheesy to more educated ears

2- actually learn guitar and record. This option would actually be insane and the best, but again killed off somewhat by practicality - space, cost, and most of all time investment to get to a point you can record. I don't think i'd be insulting players too much to say you could quite easily give your life to being a good player and get not much else done, what was a step in the process chain can become a lifelong mission

3 - hire a session player. Actually this may not be a bad option if you know exactly what you want, and if you aren't too self concious to ask for someone else to take part. Costly no doubt

it's just food for thought, obsession isn't looking likely so I'm really keen on solar 5 for it's electronic sounds and RB for the more acoustic side, I can just about cover both but I am mindful that I have bought extensions in the past and virtually instantly regretted it. I haven't found anything terrible but I have bought stuff having read the descriptions, watched the videos and realised its not me at all once I've got my hands dirty

Mataya

19 May 2022

Go with Solar. Great synth. RP guitar is a joke if you want a guitar. reason had a cool guitar Re's. virtual guitarist, something like that. Now it's under different names. Ujam I think. Much better.

M

joeyluck

19 May 2022

RGRE can actually be pretty cool. I wouldn't use it as a replacement for a real guitar and I'm not sure that is the intention. Synth bass, synth strings, synth piano/keys, etc. exist for a reason and fit well within certain applications and genres. I think when you approach it as such, you'll find some good uses for it. Throw a bunch of effects on and use it for the rhythms.

challism

19 May 2022

joeyluck wrote:
19 May 2022
RGRE can actually be pretty cool. I wouldn't use it as a replacement for a real guitar and I'm not sure that is the intention. Synth bass, synth strings, synth piano/keys, etc. exist for a reason and fit well within certain applications and genres. I think when you approach it as such, you'll find some good uses for it. Throw a bunch of effects on and use it for the rhythms.
I totally agree with Joey. I'm a guitarist, too. But RGRE shouldn't really be thought of as a replacement for guitar. It's a synth. And it has a pretty cool built-in sequencer. It is capable of some really cool and different things. I've got it and this post reminds that it's time to dust it off and give it some love.
Mataya wrote:
19 May 2022
Go with Solar. Great synth. RP guitar is a joke if you want a guitar. reason had a cool guitar Re's. virtual guitarist, something like that. Now it's under different names. Ujam I think. Much better.

M
Reason HAD cool guitar REs. They are a thing of the past now (all A-list products were removed).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Mataya

20 May 2022

challism wrote:
19 May 2022
joeyluck wrote:
19 May 2022
I totally agree with Joey. I'm a guitarist, too. But RGRE shouldn't really be thought of as a replacement for guitar. It's a synth. And it has a pretty cool built-in sequencer. It is capable of some really cool and different things. I've got it and this post reminds that it's time to dust it off and give it some love.
Mataya wrote:
19 May 2022

M
Reason HAD cool guitar REs. They are a thing of the past now (all A-list products were removed).
Oh, I thought they were replaced with ujam stuff which are kind of similar. I did not try those ujam re's do.

tx
M

dakta

20 May 2022

So it looks like im getting solar either way this week :) Jury still out on the Rob Papen side

crimsonwarlock

20 May 2022

Solar isn't on sale, is it?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

DaveyG

20 May 2022

The Rob Papen thing is fine for most things. The only time it is exposed is when you try to use it in a really sparse arrangement or maybe even solo plus voice. Amplesound have a free version of one of their acoustic guitar strummy things - it's a VST rather than an RE though:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... -M-Lite-II

dakta

20 May 2022

Solar5 isn't on sale iirc (I thought it was) but it's not badly priced tbh I think I mistook the price for it's sale price

Thanks for the feedback so far, I'm still tempted though it may be just with a see how it goes stance, for me it's not really going to have any dominant role in a project more for backing

crimsonwarlock

20 May 2022

dakta wrote:
20 May 2022
Solar5 isn't on sale iirc (I thought it was) but it's not badly priced tbh I think I mistook the price for it's sale price
Just checking, as you said to get it before the sale ends. Skrock synths are great. I was hoping for a Skrock sale myself to pick up Pulse at a discount. Will get it anyway as all Skrock stuff is very fairly priced.

As for the guitar strumming, you might also take a look at Zvorg ST100 player: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... g-machine/
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

dakta

20 May 2022

It's not bad news when you think it's real price is plausible as a sales price!

joeyluck

20 May 2022

Mataya wrote:
20 May 2022
challism wrote:
19 May 2022

Oh, I thought they were replaced with ujam stuff which are kind of similar. I did not try those ujam re's do.

tx
M
Yes, UJAM developed all of the A-List products. They were removed with the launch of Reason+ since they weren't products owned by Reason Studios. UJAM released a few of the Virtual series instruments in the RE format, but hadn't gotten around to Virtual Guitarist. They say they may revisit the RE format in the future, but are taking some time off because they are on a roll releasing plugins in other formats.

crimsonwarlock

20 May 2022

I picked up all the A-list instruments as a bundle for very little money, as they did a final sale just before they were removed from the shop. Same with PX-7. It pays to keep an eye out for these things.
-------

dakta

20 May 2022

I wasn't aware of these but looking at the demo vids actually you did absolutely right

Those that come to the scene after these stopped being available have missed out!

dakta

18 Jul 2023

Thought i'd follow this up as I recently went for broke and bought the Rob papen rhythm guitar.

I understand the feedback, and would imagine it sticks out like a sore thumb for the real guitarists out there - however it comes with a tonne of material and being able to add rhythm guitar to some of my tracks has added an almost funk twist I'd have never appreciated before, so for me it's an elementary win - the experience hasn't been a bad one, and at the cost of it I think if anyones curious, operates in a genre that is suitable and has money to burn it's worth a punt.

I did actually consult a local music tutor to see if they would show me the ropes in the real world in terms of taking a course but I got messed about so rack extension it is :( shame really as I'd love to spend a bit of time learning this stuff.

sdst
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2023

the Rhythm guitar, I tested it years ago I thought it was a disaster

I bought it on sale and now it is one of my favorites

when you understand how to use it, can make very good rhythms guitar

dvdrtldg

19 Jul 2023

RPRG is the one rack extension that I'd happily sell if I could. I bought it because I thought it might be fun as a weird left-field synth - had no expectations that it would actually sound like a guitar (and it doesn't), but thought maybe I could slather it in FX and get something useable out of it. No dice, it sucks

• Information