Extracting Midi Patterns from A-list Drummers?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

12 May 2017

As I have all the A-list Drummers and am not too fond of their sound, but like what they are playing I'm trying to extract their midi patterns... That way I can as well alter what plays when and so on...

So far I'm following Robotic Bean's primer here: http://roboticbean.com/creative/2016/05 ... -reason-9/

Pretty neat... But since the drummers only give out gate info for each single instrument it's very time consuming in this case: You have to do one run each for each drum used in a pattern, then transpose it to the proper note and switch the CV output each time and later merge all notes to one midi track...

Is there a quicker way to do this? Summing all CVs before going into the combinator seems no good as then one would have to sort out what drum is playing when later and instances of drums playing at the same time would get lost...

D.

Olivier

12 May 2017

eusti wrote:As I have all the A-list Drummers and am not too fond of their sound, but like what they are playing I'm trying to extract their midi patterns... That way I can as well alter what plays when and so on...

So far I'm following Robotic Bean's primer here: http://roboticbean.com/creative/2016/05 ... -reason-9/

Pretty neat... But since the drummers only give out gate info for each single instrument it's very time consuming in this case: You have to do one run each for each drum used in a pattern, then transpose it to the proper note and switch the CV output each time and later merge all notes to one midi track...

Is there a quicker way to do this? Summing all CVs before going into the combinator seems no good as then one would have to sort out what drum is playing when later and instances of drums playing at the same time would get lost...

D.
I guess you have to get creative... i'd try summing them over midi..
Its a bit of a setup but once done you can just print one after the other.
send the gates to EMI's... and give them a note value using CV8x4. Loop that midi back into reason.. Create a control surface, have it receive that midi loop.. i'd match the note values to the pads in kong.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

eusti

12 May 2017

Thank you, Olivier! That is a cool idea... Am in the process of setting that up... Figured out what to use the CV8x4 for after a bit of head scratching... Have tuned most of the CV outs to Kong Pads now... But am still unsure how to create a pattern of all of that in the end... Sorry for being a bit slow about that... At the moment I have created 11 EMIs with associated buses for the 11 different outs of the A-List Drummers... Mmh...

D.
Last edited by eusti on 12 May 2017, edited 2 times in total.

eusti

12 May 2017

Ok. I figured it out... I followed the Pitchblende guide: http://pitchblende.co.nz/AutoTheory/Aut ... -Track.pdf
But had initially left out the step "Lock bus to device" and as well didn't create an "All Drums Bus" in the beginning...
But now it's working... A bit slow, but a lot better than my initial method! :)

D.

• Information