Why PH not allow resale of RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tattootroy

26 Oct 2016

Why PH not allow resale of RE licence?

I am new to reason. Being using cubase and protools I've spend a lot of money buying various plugin some new some second hand.

I'm now learning Reason, I wouldn't mind buying some RE but finding out I can not sell them nor give them away if I later find I don't need them.
Kind of make me think not to buy any RE.
I already have all the Softube, MCDSP and other VST and AAX but would still like to have the RE version for faster workflow or to mess about in reason,

Any one knows why ?

jonheal

26 Oct 2016

It's Propellerhead's toy box, so they get to decide how the toys get played with. If you'll search this forum, you will find MUCH discussion about it.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Marco Raaphorst

26 Oct 2016

a second hand market for RE's would be nice. needs a technical implementation and needs a new EULA which the developers need to agree with I believe.

moneykube

26 Oct 2016

I am hoping this option is coming in the future
:exclamation: :question: :lightbulb: :exclamation: :lightbulb: :exclamation: :question: :question:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Noplan
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2016

They don't want you to sell your remaining potatoes in their salesrooms.

jonheal

26 Oct 2016

My remaining potatoes are bruised, green and sprouting grotesque barbed roots. Can I interest you in buying them?

jonheal

26 Oct 2016

moneykube wrote:I am hoping this option is coming in the future
:exclamation: :question: :lightbulb: :exclamation: :lightbulb: :exclamation: :question: :question:
I think I have used this joke before, but it'll happen when pigs fly. Oh, wait ...

tattootroy

26 Oct 2016

Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 22.13.43.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 22.13.43.jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 2827 times

moneykube

26 Oct 2016

lolol....flying pigs
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

dana

27 Oct 2016

I kind of like it, it means you commit to using the product and any song you make should still open in the distant future.

Compare that to vsts.. Forget about it. I was burned by Camel Audio Alchemy sold to Apple, and many others that decided one day after a new version was released (that i hadn't had the chance to download) to close down their site. This way, the binary is still held by propellerhead of the last version forever even if the vendor closes down.

So yeah, upsides, downsides. You have a 30-day trial, use it wisely.

miscend

27 Oct 2016

Well because your Rack extensions are tied to your licence when you sell Reason you also sell your rack extensions. When you sell Reason you should factor in those rack extensions you bought.

jonheal

27 Oct 2016

miscend wrote:Well because your Rack extensions are tied to your licence when you sell Reason you also sell your rack extensions. When you sell Reason you should factor in those rack extensions you bought.
Sorry, but you can't sell (or transfer) Rack Extensions at all. They're yours. All yours.

Tumble

27 Oct 2016

Because it would be a revenue loss for PH since they take a cut of 30%(I think) for each RE being sold in the shop.

joeyluck

27 Oct 2016

miscend wrote:Well because your Rack extensions are tied to your licence when you sell Reason you also sell your rack extensions. When you sell Reason you should factor in those rack extensions you bought.
This is incorrect.
Your Rack Extensions are tied to your user account, not to your Reason license. So if you transfer your Reason license, your Rack Extensions remain in your account.

miscend

27 Oct 2016

joeyluck wrote:
This is incorrect.
Your Rack Extensions are tied to your user account, not to your Reason license. So if you transfer your Reason license, your Rack Extensions remain in your account.
When you sell Reason you give your user account and password to purchaser. I've seen people advertise on KVR and other sites that they are selling Reason with included Rack Extensions. It makes sense because REs are useless without Reason.
Last edited by miscend on 27 Oct 2016, edited 2 times in total.

jonheal

27 Oct 2016

miscend wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
This is incorrect.
When you sell Reason you give your user account and password to purchaser. I've seen people advertise on KVR and other sites that they are selling Reason with included Rack Extensions. It makes sense because REs are useless without Reason.
I think you risk losing everything going that route, or at least the buyer does.

miscend

27 Oct 2016

jonheal wrote:
miscend wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
This is incorrect.
I think you risk losing everything going that route, or at least the buyer does.
I guess it's a risk. But I haven't heard of anyone being penalised yet for doing it.

You know if people can sell their Youtube Accounts. I see no ethical reason why you couldn't sell your Reason user account.

joeyluck

27 Oct 2016

miscend wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
This is incorrect.
It specifically says you can't in the terms. And yes, it hasn't worked out well for those trying to do it. Keep in mind, you can have multiple Reason licenses in your account. And if you transfer your only Reason license, it also allows you to purchase Reason again down the road and pick right back up with all of your REs.

I'm certainly for the idea of being able to trade or sell REs, but just pointing out what is against the terms and how it is beneficial that it's not tied to your Reason licenses.

PSoames

27 Oct 2016

The finite demand and infinite supply in a relatively small user base is already a flawed market model. If you were to add competition from resellers, I suspect, both developers and Propellerhead would pick up their jumpers and go home for their tea.

ejanuska

27 Oct 2016

My first guess was that it would open the doors for pirating of rack extensions.

ezelkow1

28 Oct 2016

ejanuska wrote:My first guess was that it would open the doors for pirating of rack extensions.
How so? Its just a license transfer between RE accounts (if they allowed it).

txh003

28 Oct 2016

Tumble wrote:Because it would be a revenue loss for PH since they take a cut of 30%(I think) for each RE being sold in the shop.
+1.

Although I wish RE plugins had a second-hand market, I do not believe it will ever materialize due to the inevitable monetary loss by Props and developers.

The RE market, IMHO, is a rather small, niche as a plugin platform. A second-hand market might discourage developers from entering or creating more RE products, as the sales potential is already impeded by a smaller user base, when compared to VSTs and AAXs, and Props 30% or higher profit of each unit sold.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

Gardinski

28 Oct 2016

I very much doubt this will happen, but perhaps such a transaction could be orchestrated by Propellerheads themselves.

Let's say Props were to create a 'secondhand marketplace' where users could advertise their unwanted RE licenses. Each RE could have a pre-defined resale price (perhaps 66% of RRP), of which a percentage would go to Props and the original developer.

eg. "Legend" : RRP $99... Resale price $66. Buyer pays $66, of which the Seller receives say $40, and Props and Synapse get $13 each.

This would give Propellerheads and the RE creators an incentive to allow such a transfer, and would potentially stimulate further interest in newer REs from the same developer. (Individual developers could opt to have their REs included or excluded from the resale marketplace.)

Rather than representing lost revenue, this would be essentially a 'second bite of the cherry' (which might be especially appealing for developers of older REs).

jonheal

28 Oct 2016

Gardinski wrote:I very much doubt this will happen, but perhaps such a transaction could be orchestrated by Propellerheads themselves.

Let's say Props were to create a 'secondhand marketplace' where users could advertise their unwanted RE licenses. Each RE could have a pre-defined resale price (perhaps 66% of RRP), of which a percentage would go to Props and the original developer.

eg. "Legend" : RRP $99... Resale price $66. Buyer pays $66, of which the Seller receives say $40, and Props and Synapse get $13 each.

This would give Propellerheads and the RE creators an incentive to allow such a transfer, and would potentially stimulate further interest in newer REs from the same developer. (Individual developers could opt to have their REs included or excluded from the resale marketplace.)

Rather than representing lost revenue, this would be essentially a 'second bite of the cherry' (which might be especially appealing for developers of older REs).
Now ya talkin'!

Profits for everyone!

selig
RE Developer

28 Oct 2016

Gardinski wrote:I very much doubt this will happen, but perhaps such a transaction could be orchestrated by Propellerheads themselves.

This topic has been discussed many times in many places, and this suggestion is what seems to "rise" to the top of the heap time and again. Not saying anyone should have known that before posting, just that you're on the right track IMO. Developers such as myself have made it clear we are fine with re-selling, and in fact welcome it because as a user it's what we want as well! I don't feel there's any advantage to locking folks into this system, and obviously there are disadvantages as it's a real turn-off for some.
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information