Need some help... Synapse GQ-7 or Kuassa EVE-MP5?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
RequiemMachine

18 Jan 2017

So, I'm getting back into the production game and have out grown the stock Class EQ....need something new. Problem is I can't decide on the GQ-7 or the EVE-MP5....both look great on paper and seem to each have their fair share of fans here. It seems I have trialled both already in the past (I was probably drunk some weekend and Dld a bunch of trials and forgot about it), so that's why I need some help deciding. I produce mainly D'n'B, Glitchhop and Hybrid Rock/Metal (with live guitars/drums).

I'd greatly appreciate your opinions on these two REs and any pro's and con's you might else well.
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

FlowerSoldier

18 Jan 2017

You might want to watch some demo vids to help you decide, but, personally, I'd go for the GQ-7. With the GQ-7 you can identify rogue frequencies and notch them out or boost selectively, something you can't do as readily with the MP5. However, the MP5 is really good at brightening up or toning down a track, or even helping an individual track find it's place in a mix. I own them both, but if I had to choose only one - I say GQ-7. I use it in every project.

Aikmofobi

18 Jan 2017

They do entirely different things. The GQ7 is a clean and precise surgical tool while the MP5 is a magic box with which to apply character and goodness. Which do you want?

RequiemMachine

18 Jan 2017

FlowerSoldier wrote:You might want to watch some demo vids to help you decide, but, personally, I'd go for the GQ-7. With the GQ-7 you can identify rogue frequencies and notch them out or boost selectively, something you can't do as readily with the MP5. However, the MP5 is really good at brightening up or toning down a track, or even helping an individual track find it's place in a mix. I own them both, but if I had to choose only one - I say GQ-7. I use it in every project.
Thanks.
Aikmofobi wrote:They do entirely different things. The GQ7 is a clean and precise surgical tool while the MP5 is a magic box with which to apply character and goodness. Which do you want?
Does the MP5 tend to color everything put through it? Is it more of sound sculpting tool than a finishing tool?

Aikmofobi

18 Jan 2017

I'd say that the opposite is true, that it's for colour and finish rather than small cuts. The saturation can be disabled, but the curves and controls aren´t as obvious as in more precise EQs.

Abstrax

18 Jan 2017

I have both. Here's what I use them for...

GQ7-All forms of creative sound design. Theres like 100 cv inputs on the back which make for Neuro bass modulation fun. Also the steep filters are clean af.

MP5-I was skeptical of this thing but its got the magic. I put it on every kick channel. I also get great results when I put one on all the Bus channels in my mix. A little saturation while eqing busses really create depth.

My 2 cents...It depends what you are look to do with a new eq.

joeyluck

18 Jan 2017

MP5 is one of my favorites. It's quick and easy to get a great sound.
GQ7 is nice, but it's rare I have to get surgical with EQ'ing (outside of mixing live sound). But that's just me. Might be cool for doing filter sweeps.

RequiemMachine

18 Jan 2017

Thanks for the responses. Its sounds like the GQ-7 is more what I'm looking for at the moment. I think I may put the MP5 on the "future" list though...it sounds like a good tool to have.

Dante

19 Jan 2017

Don't forget GQ-7 has mid / side capability which Kuassa doesn't have. I don't think it can do both mid and side at once though, so to do that you would need 2 instances.

Arrant
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2017

Completely different tools for completely different things.

You NEED the GQ-7 for cleaning up your sound:
Notching out problem frequencies, easy mid/side EQ, steep HP/LP filters and so on.
Is it fun? Nope, but it gives results.

You also NEED the MP5 for adding shine and polish:
Pultec low-end trick, great hi-freq boost, and it's just got that little bit of magic that you want.
It's inspiring and fun, but it's not as surgical and it might see you lose hours to THINKING something sounds better even though it's not (to be fair this goes for pretty much every plugin).

I use both on every track. The question for you is what to get first, depending on what you need most and what tools you already have.

sdst
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2017

Wait for the Decemberwave and Buy both

EnochLight

19 Jan 2017

I'd say the GQ-7 for all of the reasons already mentioned above, but then again - I tend to be a tad biased towards the GQ-7. :cool:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

RequiemMachine

21 Jan 2017

Thanks again guys...I just said eff it and bought both. lol. Couldn't be happier.

normen

21 Jan 2017

Arrant wrote: It's inspiring and fun, but it's not as surgical and it might see you lose hours to THINKING something sounds better even though it's not (to be fair this goes for pretty much every plugin).
Good way to avoid this effect (and EVERYONE in audio fell for it on one occasion or the other) is to make sure the "better" one is a bit more silent than the other one when comparing. Louder is always better so if it still sounds better when its a bit more silent you have a good hint that it actually does good :)

miscend

22 Jan 2017

Don't sleep on the McDsp EQ bundle. It's a very solid work horse.

selig
RE Developer

22 Jan 2017

normen wrote:
Arrant wrote: It's inspiring and fun, but it's not as surgical and it might see you lose hours to THINKING something sounds better even though it's not (to be fair this goes for pretty much every plugin).
Good way to avoid this effect (and EVERYONE in audio fell for it on one occasion or the other) is to make sure the "better" one is a bit more silent than the other one when comparing. Louder is always better so if it still sounds better when its a bit more silent you have a good hint that it actually does good :)
Great advice and I 'second' this approach which works quite well IMO.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information