Create your own instrument

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
ardianomusic
RE Developer

27 Jan 2016

Hi guys, I want to start my work about new create new instruments to reason.
I have SDK, Python 2.7, Reason Recon... but don't have experience how make it.
Any developer here who can explain me some things? How start to make simply synth?

rcbuse
RE Developer

27 Jan 2016

ardianomusic wrote:Hi guys, I want to start my work about new create new instruments to reason.
Any developer here who can explain me some things? How start to make simply synth?
Have to tried the RE development forum on the props site? Developers will be able to freely discuss these things there without NDA issues.

ardianomusic
RE Developer

27 Jan 2016

Last edited by ardianomusic on 27 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

ardianomusic
RE Developer

27 Jan 2016

rcbuse wrote:
ardianomusic wrote:Hi guys, I want to start my work about new create new instruments to reason.
Have to tried the RE development forum on the props site? Developers will be able to freely discuss these things there without NDA issues.
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/closed

forum is closed :(

rcbuse
RE Developer

27 Jan 2016

ardianomusic wrote:https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/closed

forum is closed
Once you are registered as rack extension developer, hit https://www.propellerheads.se/developer/ then RE Forum

normen

27 Jan 2016

Theres documentation in the SDK.... Even an example for a simple synth.

Vince-Noir-99

27 Jan 2016

A part from what Normen said (reading thoroughly all the documentation and playing around with the provided examples), I recommend, depending on your experience, digging into DSP. There are many resources online, for example:
http://www.dspguru.com
http://musicdsp.org/archive.php?classid=1
etc..
If a beginner, I highly recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Theory-Techni ... 9812700773

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2016

ardianomusic wrote:https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/closed

forum is closed
You have to log in first, then access the forums again or you will get this message every time.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Nirude

27 Jan 2016

Just a side note; I would like to try these too.
But I am so busy and to start this thing I should reserve a meeting for me and the time to start it.
Too busy with everything but someday, someday I will make a synth. Started to think now, do people use Mac OSX or windows-based computers to make REs?
3d man.

normen

27 Jan 2016

Nirude wrote:Just a side note; I would like to try these too.
But I am so busy and to start this thing I should reserve a meeting for me and the time to start it.
Too busy with everything but someday, someday I will make a synth. Started to think now, do people use Mac OSX or windows-based computers to make REs?
Both work and you don't need the other one, which is one of the advantages of making REs instead of VST/AUs :) That said, OSX is clearly the more convenient platform for (any kind of) development to me, given you have a proper BSD/Unix under the hood with access to all the goodies programmers developed over the years (MacPorts).

ScuzzyEye

27 Jan 2016

normen wrote:Both work and you don't need the other one, which is one of the advantages of making REs instead of VST/AUs :) That said, OSX is clearly the more convenient platform for (any kind of) development to me, given you have a proper BSD/Unix under the hood with access to all the goodies programmers developed over the years (MacPorts).
To counter that, I love the Visual Studio editor, and since you'll be using Git (you will be using a revision tracking tool, right?) if you install Git for Windows, you get a full set of Unix tools.

So the answer again is what ever platform you're most comfortable working on.

normen

28 Jan 2016

ScuzzyEye wrote:To counter that, I love the Visual Studio editor, and since you'll be using Git (you will be using a revision tracking tool, right?) if you install Git for Windows, you get a full set of Unix tools.

Well I think you kind of proved me right in saying that the UNIX tools are where its at but sure, each to his own ^^

ardianomusic
RE Developer

04 May 2016

There is chance that someone will record video about "how create simply rack extension with 1-2 oscilators" ?

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 May 2016

ardianomusic wrote:There is chance that someone will record video about "how create simply rack extension with 1-2 oscilators" ?
again, no.

First rule of F**** C*** is that if you talk about F**t C**b then all the members of *igh* *lu* have to beat you to death. That means that there can be no public videos etc of how to play F*g*t *l*b.

Sad really as getting started is not as easy as one would like. While there are docs and examples. I am stumped by them too.

Of course if it was open for all and sundry to add their 8 cents, I'm sure it would be a s**t f---t with no winners.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Lizard

04 May 2016

ardianomusic wrote:There is chance that someone will record video about "how create simply rack extension with 1-2 oscilators" ?
To further this comment, any instructional information IF it were to be created would have to be shared on Propellerhead Developer Forums. That said.... there are a few different directions and obstacles that must be overcome here.

The first is understanding the Propellerhead SDK. Creating the GUI is the same across any Re development weather made on a Mac or Made on Windows. Same if made for a coded Re or if you use IDT. Secondly is understanding how the GUI will integrates with your instrument or effect. This is a bit of reading the SDK documentation. Not super complex but does take a bit of reading and is not a industry standard. Then thirdly are you programming or using the IDT? If you have an understand of DSP and coding already you are at least ahead of the game and get going. If you don't you also have that to learn which will take some time. or... you can try IDT which STILL requires you to learn scripting.

illone

04 May 2016

normen wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:To counter that, I love the Visual Studio editor, and since you'll be using Git (you will be using a revision tracking tool, right?) if you install Git for Windows, you get a full set of Unix tools.

Well I think you kind of proved me right in saying that the UNIX tools are where its at but sure, each to his own ^^
To counter-counter-counter that - I love Visual Studio, I hate git; absolutely prefer TFS/TFVC. I've spent years using UNIX/g++ and can't think of a single reason why I'd want to do that again and would never (never say never, i know) take a job where that was the requirement.

So, again, use what you like.

kuhliloach

04 May 2016

I am horrified about what I just read here. Not saying why. :)

• Information