Audio Editing Wants

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Creativemind

14 Jan 2016

Hi!

Just a couple of things, has anyone noticed (sure you have), that when you double click a section of audio to bring up the quantize points, and move some audio transients to different positions etc, then if you cut a certain part and then find you want to delete a now new part / section as it's no longer needed for instance, it won't let you using backspace or with the rubber, until you click out of the quantize or editing mode. Neither will it let you move any now cut sections while you are in the audio quantize / editing mode either until you click out. So if you want to delete or move a section of audio, you have to click out, move or delete what you want and then click back on it again. Bit time consuming / long winded to me. This is something I would like to see sorted in Reason 9.

Secondly, a good feature for me would be, when I'm recording some acoustic guitar for instance, the strum might have a certain rhythmic pattern which you are struggling to either a) work out or strum properly or b) get on time. So what I do (after I've recorded the guitar in), I create a Redrum, then use a kick drum to emulate the strum pattern. I then copy the pattern to track, then I double click the audio, and line up the quantize points on the audio (using the timeline marker) to the kick beats on the track below on the Redrum. You can zoom in or widen the track if you find it hard to see where the kick beats are. Sometimes you can be pretty far off, depends how good / accurate a player you are I suppose.
So I would like to see a feature added, where you could automatically get it to assign the attack transient quantize positions of the guitar audio to match a kick drum beat. This would be a very cool feature for me and save a lot of time.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

OverneathTheSkyBridg

16 Jan 2016

You can do this I believe, it's called Quantize Audio... the Toolbar sets the resolution.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Creativemind

18 Jan 2016

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:You can do this I believe, it's called Quantize Audio... the Toolbar sets the resolution.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
It wasn't the quantize audio I meant Overneath. I know about that. It was more getting the quantizing set to a certain pattern that you can set up with the redrum, as it's far easier to get the rhythm with a kick drum this way.

I use the same method with midi. To get a piano sequence for an electronic track exactly how I want it, I use the redrum to make the pattern and use the transport to line up each chord or note with it after I've copied it into the sequencer. It would just be good if you could get it to do it automatically somehow.

gak

20 Jan 2016

Yeah, I'm agreement. In the year I've used reason it's mostly ace (and nobody is more surprised than I ! ) But yes, having "groove" apply to audio would be huge.

Creativemind

22 Jan 2016

gak wrote:Yeah, I'm agreement. In the year I've used reason it's mostly ace (and nobody is more surprised than I ! ) But yes, having "groove" apply to audio would be huge.
Are there any daw's that do this?

gak

24 Jan 2016

Creativemind wrote:
gak wrote:Yeah, I'm agreement. In the year I've used reason it's mostly ace (and nobody is more surprised than I ! ) But yes, having "groove" apply to audio would be huge.
Well, I'm pretty sure studio one can. There is a "groove" section and I think it's like midi in that you can select everything and and apply at once.

Maybe I'm mistaken and it's just quantize.

Creativemind

25 Jan 2016

If Studio One can, that's awesome!

pushedbutton

25 Jan 2016

OK so what you need to do is bounce the audio to a rex file, import that into a DrOctoRex, copy loop to track and then apply the groove. It's a little bit of a faff but you can do it.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

gak

26 Jan 2016

That doesn't really work though. The artifacts are pretty annoying.

What works better is one of two things: Since takes are not a problem, you can just redo it till it's right (I know, what a concept!) or use time stretch until it sounds "ok"

I've grown to to use "a" of those two...until of course the "next gen" when you CAN apply the groove to guitars/bass/etc.

Creativemind

28 Jan 2016

I just find when the timing is precise, it's very difficult to get it exactly spot on. Ok you can move the quantize positions but again, it's do it by hand and can take 10 minutes sometimes. When you want to crakc on with the song it's a while. I just like strumming the guitar as best as I can, opening a redrum with a rock kit and use the kick drum to do the rhyhtm then use the timeline marker to line the kicks up with the attack transients. Just take ages.

Creativemind

28 Jan 2016

pushedbutton wrote:OK so what you need to do is bounce the audio to a rex file, import that into a DrOctoRex, copy loop to track and then apply the groove. It's a little bit of a faff but you can do it.
Will try this later today.

pushedbutton

28 Jan 2016

This actually might be more effective if you create the rex in recycle to gave you more control over the chops
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

gak

29 Jan 2016

Don't get me wrong guys, I've got a list from cali to the Bahamas of things I'd like to see changed, but at least most anything "is doable" but it takes time.

Creativemind

10 Apr 2016

gak wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure studio one can. There is a "groove" section and I think it's like midi in that you can select everything and and apply at once.

Maybe I'm mistaken and it's just quantize.
Maybe you meant Studio One's Groove Clipboard as seen in this video? :-

Creativemind

10 Apr 2016

Rob Papens RG looks good as well, although synthesized guitar.

Propellerhead want to make a groove quantizing machine for audio, it would be awesome.

• Information