Marlstrom update

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
thotbott

07 Dec 2015

An idea for the maelstrom loading usersamples. Would it be possible for an update to allow it to make grain samples by reason rexing the sample into 1000s of slices and use the slices as grains? If that works the tools for the maelstom becoming a powerhouse graintable synth are almost in reason already

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Vince-Noir-99

07 Dec 2015

Hello. As far as I remember reading about the *Malström development years ago, the slicing part has been a hell of a job that I assume wouldn't be easy to implement as an automatic function (time, transient or whatever-based slicing). My understanding is that this is exactly what makes it different from 'plain' granular instruments.

For instance: Henke's granular sampler in Live (based on Max), the new Alchemy in Logic Pro etc.. indeed allow to upload any audio but in my experience, sweeping through the waveform or freezing a bunch of grains usually produces 'vapourish' textures, whereas Malström, thanks to the wavetable bit of technology, can (also) be more 'present' as a periodic cycled waveform would be in the context of subtractive or, obviously, wavetable synthesis.
This is just my opinion though...

Now, if speculating about a possible Malström mkII, I think it would be certainly possible to implement loading samples into a granular engine, and preserve the current graintable set of samples as legacy. It would be a super fair compromise and, at least in my view, a natural evolution of the instrument.

That, or.... review the NNs and add a granular engine in those. And a wav display on the interface a-la-simpler pleaase! But I digress :puf_bigsmile:

thotbott

08 Dec 2015

Was just an idea. That they have the recycle technology which i thought could be a good starting point for creating a granular engine that can take in user samples.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Creativemind

11 Dec 2015

This has been asked a thousand times as a feature for a couple of years now. It would bring Reason right up there to have this feature. They need a new device where you can sample and chop the sample into grains don't they? and then have a way of Malstrom accessing this then granulated sample I would guess but I'm no granular synthesis expert.

Or possibly have a new section of Malstrom added (as said, in a Malstrom 2) with a drop down arrow, so hidden. Then after sampled and wahtever needs to be done after, then saved in a folder Malstrom can access, then further manipulated by Malstroms features. Would be awesome. I'm hoping this will be in Reason 9 next year.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

OverneathTheSkyBridg

16 Jan 2016

Reaktor has a really cool synth that does what you describe and the results are phenomenal. It's called wavetable synthesis. I'd love to see this integrated into Reason, but it'll more than likely be parted out as an RE. I'm on mobile or I'd check the PH store it could already exist there.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

manisnotabird

06 Apr 2016

Would really love a modulation matrix in the Malstrom. I often want to send one of the Mods positively to the first osc and negatively to the second. I can achieve this with some cabling in the back for monophonic patches, but not for polyphonic ones.

• Information