UAD Free LA-2A

Discuss VST stuff here!

selig
RE Developer

09 Oct 2023

OK now, we finally get a decent LA2a in Reason for everyone (FREE)! I'd jump on this if I didn't already have it (and love it).
Everyone needs a decent LA2a in their tool kit IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

MarkTarlton

09 Oct 2023

mac os users will need 10.15 or above to d/l

it's a great plug in!

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2023

I'm in

PhillipOrdonez

09 Oct 2023

F yeah

dvdrtldg

09 Oct 2023

Be interested to see how this one stacks up against the Cakewalk RE version

amanitamix

09 Oct 2023

Yep, this one kicks some serious ass alright. Thanks for the tip-off :-)

joeyluck

10 Oct 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
09 Oct 2023
After some initial tests, I definitely prefer the Cakewalk RE-2A/CA-2A. Which is no surprise as it's been my favorite over any other emulation. The UAD sounds more aggressive at the same settings. Could just be a matter of using lower settings... But for a compressor I reach for because it's gentle and not as aggressive, I'd much prefer a wider range of gentle.

Also, the R37 screw on this is fake? I can't get it to turn. No tooltips or values for anything either, so I can't tell if it's a parameter other just trying to turn it.
R37.png
R37.png (122.93 KiB) Viewed 24924 times

Why put it on there if it's not going to do anything? Or am I missing some advanced setting not mentioned in the manual? Do I need to buy a screwdriver? Lol

ProfessaKaos

10 Oct 2023

This is actually a new plugin and not the same as in the LA-2A Collection, so if you upgrade to the collection you will have 4 LA-2A's from UAD.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 367dc5e0cb
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Arpeg
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2023

ProfessaKaos wrote:
10 Oct 2023
This is actually a new plugin and not the same as in the LA-2A Collection, so if you upgrade to the collection you will have 4 LA-2A's from UAD.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 367dc5e0cb
And now we get this Crossgrade offer from PiB : https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... Compressor.
£49 for this bundle by crossgrading the FREE LA-2A - Includes LA-2A collection, Pultec Passive EQ collection, polyMAX synth, Century tube channel strip and more.
Massive Bargain?? Seems so to me

dan_g

11 Oct 2023

Arpeg wrote:
10 Oct 2023

And now we get this Crossgrade offer from PiB : https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... Compressor.
£49 for this bundle by crossgrading the FREE LA-2A - Includes LA-2A collection, Pultec Passive EQ collection, polyMAX synth, Century tube channel strip and more.
Massive Bargain?? Seems so to me
looks very promising. maybe i will pull the trigger on this.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

DaveyG

11 Oct 2023

It's not a compressor I particularly need but I just tried and failed to install it. The Pace licence installer got all the way to the end and then failed on component registration with an error code that gets no Google hits and their UA Connect program will not run without Pace. What's weird is that I already have Pace installed and running for other stuff so the Connect program shouldn't need to install it.

Either way, I'm not going to chase it - I probably wouldn't use the compressor anyway but it does make me wonder if I'd have the same problem if I decided to treat myself to a UAD interface and/or software some day. (Don't get excited Giles - I have no plans to do so any time soon!)

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2023

joeyluck wrote:
10 Oct 2023
dvdrtldg wrote:
09 Oct 2023
After some initial tests, I definitely prefer the Cakewalk RE-2A/CA-2A. Which is no surprise as it's been my favorite over any other emulation. The UAD sounds more aggressive at the same settings. Could just be a matter of using lower settings... But for a compressor I reach for because it's gentle and not as aggressive, I'd much prefer a wider range of gentle.

Also, the R37 screw on this is fake? I can't get it to turn. No tooltips or values for anything either, so I can't tell if it's a parameter other just trying to turn it.

R37.png

Why put it on there if it's not going to do anything? Or am I missing some advanced setting not mentioned in the manual? Do I need to buy a screwdriver? Lol
This IS a feature on the “full” version, and pretty useful to adjust the high frequency compression amount.

https://media.uaudio.com/assetlibrary/t ... _@2x_1.jpg

As for your comparison, setting the knobs the same doesn’t work on hardware (!) and doesn’t work between models in my experience. Folks said similar things about various Pultec emulations, and I tested them and found you COULD match things easily if you ignored the knob position and went with the ‘sound’.

That said, for the LA-2a from UAD it comes the closest to matching the typical setting on the original hardware which is probably why I gravitate towards it. But I would be willing to bet if you just used it without comparing it to the RE-2a you’d naturally adjust it to where it sounded good to you instead of setting the knobs like you’re used to doing and wondering why you didn’t like the sound. The same thing happens to me when I work on the RE-2a - I start with the settings I’m used to using and quickly realize that’s not the sound I’m used to getting, and make adjustments from there. Which interestingly enough is how you work with the various vintage hardware you’d likely encounter in a studio or rental house because each one can vary quite a bit even between similar models. Gotta love hardware…
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

11 Oct 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
09 Oct 2023
I have the LA-2A collection. Came free with an Apollo. It has an added saturation that you don’t get with the RE-2A. May not work for everyone but I happen to like it. Like Joey mentioned, it does compress more at lower values, but as Selig mentioned I just adjust accordingly.

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2023

QVprod wrote:
11 Oct 2023
dvdrtldg wrote:
09 Oct 2023
I have the LA-2A collection. Came free with an Apollo. It has an added saturation that you don’t get with the RE-2A. May not work for everyone but I happen to like it. Like Joey mentioned, it does compress more at lower values, but as Selig mentioned I just adjust accordingly.
But I hope that's not a reason to not prefer it over the other. I mean, when you audition two things or A/B the before/after you always level match so you're not comparing two different things at different levels.

I tried a few things since I have the full collection and the Cakewalk RE. Compared to the default RE-2a settings you need to lower the Peak Reduction from 60 to 50. Interestingly, 50 is where I typically run the hardware version on vocals, with the gain at 30. And almost magically, you get the same result as with the RE-2a in it's default setting. I'm comparing the "silver" version. If you compare the original version (the oldest model) you get pretty much the same settings as the RE-2a, so maybe they used that one as their model?

As for saturation, you definitely get saturation from both models, fairly equally according to some quick tests. My settings are RE-25 Gain=40, Peak Reduction=60, 10 dB reduction on a signal hitting -12 dBFS. On the UAD version use Gain=30, Peak Reduction=50, also 10 dB gain reduction. When set roughly this way I can't really tell much difference between them. But yea, I'm definitely biased because these positions on the UAD are exactly how I've always used it, and the Cakewalk version always felt a bit odd to me in that respect. But that says more about expectations than anything, they really can be made to sound pretty much indistinguishable from each other IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

11 Oct 2023

selig wrote:
11 Oct 2023
QVprod wrote:
11 Oct 2023

But I hope that's not a reason to not prefer it over the other. I mean, when you audition two things or A/B the before/after you always level match so you're not comparing two different things at different levels.

I tried a few things since I have the full collection and the Cakewalk RE. Compared to the default RE-2a settings you need to lower the Peak Reduction from 60 to 50. Interestingly, 50 is where I typically run the hardware version on vocals, with the gain at 30. And almost magically, you get the same result as with the RE-2a in it's default setting. I'm comparing the "silver" version. If you compare the original version (the oldest model) you get pretty much the same settings as the RE-2a, so maybe they used that one as their model?

As for saturation, you definitely get saturation from both models, fairly equally according to some quick tests. My settings are RE-25 Gain=40, Peak Reduction=60, 10 dB reduction on a signal hitting -12 dBFS. On the UAD version use Gain=30, Peak Reduction=50, also 10 dB gain reduction. When set roughly this way I can't really tell much difference between them. But yea, I'm definitely biased because these positions on the UAD are exactly how I've always used it, and the Cakewalk version always felt a bit odd to me in that respect. But that says more about expectations than anything, they really can be made to sound pretty much indistinguishable from each other IMO.
Haven’t done a scientific comparison I’ll admit. More of a feeling. Around 50 is what I’m used to using on any emulation previously ( I think Studio One’s fat channel version is a bit higher) but at default I’m barely going above 20-30. Using the Silver one as well.

joeyluck

11 Oct 2023

Yeah I hate fake controls lol. Why put it on there if it's not going to function? It's especially confusing on a plugin with no tooltips.

Computer Music's post was "there's no catch..."
Well...haha

ArcoZ

13 Oct 2023

This thing rocks! I've always dreamed about LA2A from UAD. And ... I've got it.

miyaru

13 Oct 2023

As the tittle says: it ain't free forever, it is only a demo! It was online advertised in Musicradar. I installed it, and it is a demo. If you want to use it longer than 2 weeks, pay $163,= !

So if you do not want to demo it, don't go for the hassle of installing it......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

miyaru

13 Oct 2023

The website is confusing, I read it over and over again..... Can anyone shed a light on this?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2023

miyaru wrote:
13 Oct 2023
The website is confusing, I read it over and over again..... Can anyone shed a light on this?
Sure, ... But I'll need to take your CC details before I give you my free advice, of course

WarStar

19 Oct 2023

For anyone that did grab the free LA2A, UA has a killer upgrade bundle for $49

Teletronix LA-2A Leveler Collection (3 plug-ins)
Pultec Passive EQ Collection (3 plug-ins)
Century Tube Channel Strip
Oxide Tape Recorder
Galaxy Tape Echo
Pure Plate Reverb
PolyMAX Synth

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... page-nosto

dan_g

19 Oct 2023

also i find it a bit confusing why there are two bundles on PB that cost the same and also have the same plugins.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... o-1-higher

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... ge-nosto-2

whats up with this?
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

jam-s

27 Oct 2023

There's also the bigger (and more expensive) mix edition bundle here which includes more FX and API stuff for ~$200 + tax: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... FREE-LA-2A

Also some note for users of older CPUs: The free LA-2A simply crashes when your CPU does not have AVX instructions.

QVprod

27 Oct 2023

QVprod wrote:
11 Oct 2023
selig wrote:
11 Oct 2023

Haven’t done a scientific comparison I’ll admit. More of a feeling. Around 50 is what I’m used to using on any emulation previously ( I think Studio One’s fat channel version is a bit higher) but at default I’m barely going above 20-30. Using the Silver one as well.
Update: the HF knob was the culprit on this. Sounds about the same as the Presonus Fat channel version.

• Information