Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tewoc

02 May 2024

Nobody knows...

DaveyG

02 May 2024

Above all else, I really, really, really, REALLY hope it's ready for release day.
Proper ready. Propellerhead ready. Definitely not Reason 12 "ready". Because that damaged the rock solid reputation that was built over so many years.

Abstrax

02 May 2024

ok im excited for that delay unit. im trying to see whats goin on in the back of those devices. Assuming there's a CV out for the sidechain tool, we could use it as a custom drawn LFO, right? Similar to routing a Europa envelope to a CV out?

As far as workflow is concerned, drag n drop from browser/sequencer to VST is really needed
Last edited by Abstrax on 02 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

DNGmaestro
Competition Winner

02 May 2024

Still using it on pretty big projects as my main DAW.

However, judging by the description, this looks like extremely minor updates, that just address Reason's extremely outdated system and sequencer, with the habitual custom new synth and effect, that Reason doesn't really need but it's fun and is good for hiding the lack of real updates, that at least make it up to par with all the competition.

I hope I'm wrong but it seems there's not even a decent new incorporated wav editor (and recycle type editing) included, to substitute that ridiculous window for sample editing.

I don't want to be negative and I'm all for progress, but literally every other music making DAW in the market is so far ahead Reason regarding it's features, midi facilities and modern technology that it's hard to look at the new content announcement of 13 and not be a bit disappointed.

wereMole88

02 May 2024

I haven't read any of it so far but I'm just reserving a spot here for future generations.

timotheen

02 May 2024

luckygreen wrote:
02 May 2024
timotheen wrote:
02 May 2024
... The idea of having to open another window just to see/access them sounds crazy to me. I really don't get it. ...
Reason Studios does some weird things sometimes and they do not do necessaryindustry-standard things a lot of times but I imagine that this floating browser thing is just a misunderstanding. I bet they know that one of their biggest strength is that every UI element has its place. Like in Ableton Live: every element is neatly laid out on one single screen layer. No windows on top of windows on top of windows .. No constant window juggling like in some other DAW. They will never endanger that strength. I mean why would they, right?
Right ? Jokes aside, I certainly hope so. We'll find out soon enough.
browsermeme.png
browsermeme.png (542.3 KiB) Viewed 900 times

tewoc

02 May 2024

It seems somehow unreal that this is the update the community asked for, it seems they live in some kind of other world or just this userbase here doesn't represent the mainstream feature requests.

However, I want to stay respectful, even if I am dissapointed as f*ck. Iam going to finish my started songs in the next weeks and after I finished I am out. I can't and I will not wait another 10 years for autosave, markers and folders.

ambi

02 May 2024

It's interesting. Not long time ago Bitwig changed its browser. Noone asked for it and people (me included) hated it.
Now the same may happen to Reason. I really hope that it doesn't turn out to be that bad, because if it does, I'll stick to R12.

turn2on
RE Developer

02 May 2024

Good to know, what now with Rack & Mixer windows Detach (new windows for additional displays)?
Does I right understand, that they still possible to detach, and only Sequencer that we previously can cut or save in main window, now work as double-view of Sequencer & Edit?

And if yes, does it possible to drag border for only Seq/Edit as 0:100% (full space)?

Fluence

02 May 2024

Will the update also feature midi out functionality over multiple ports, I mean clock over port 1 and only note information over port 2 and perhaps adjust latency on a per port basis?

pablojaime510

02 May 2024

I would like to be able to zoom/resize the rack independently of the mixer and the sequencer. I'd like to be able to use VSTs like ripchord that allow you to trigger chords in other instruments. I'd also like to be able. I'd also like to see Reason Studios update their core instruments with new features instead of always creating new instruments. Right now there are lots of devices to choose from, but just some simple updates to older devices would do more good I think.

A better interface for remote mapping would be great. I get tired of creating maps in a text editor. Why not build something inside of reason that allows you to map most of the things you do when creating remote maps?

Also a suggestion: a drum rack would be nice. I know this almost exists if you connect kong to a bunch different samplers via CV, but why not make another type of combinator that works similar to ableton drum rack?

Stem separation and extracting multitimbral midi from audio like in ableton would be nice.

I like the sequencer changes. Add scales and chord functionality to the sequencer like FL, Ableton, Studio One and clip launching mode.

artmessiah

02 May 2024

I've been with reason from 1.0 and have upgraded to every iteration of Reason to current 12. I still get excited about new announcements about Reason and it's added features. Although I still have love for the software I've enjoyed since high school... I've all but given up on Reason as a sequencer with the exception of little sketches every now and then. All I've ever wanted in a workflow update was TRACK FOLDERS and a MULTI-TIMBRAL solution for YEARS. This update while nice is an unsurprising (at this point) letdown. Sorry to be a downer to those the love it as is and are excited for the future update - I just feel that loyal customer suggestions NEVER, EVER, EVER get listened to.

mind2069

02 May 2024

All nice but minor disappointments like the delay, they could of easily add a low cut high cut in the EQ section, so important. typical PH not going all the way, I will still have to add the ProQ3 after the delay.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 May 2024

No surprises here. They said they were working on workflow improvements.

They delivered.

RobBarnett

02 May 2024

Hoping to be proved wrong when I get to see it but at the moment it feels a bit lacklustre/disappointing

Existing tools moved from one place to another
Split window as per Live (to fix an issue I’ve never heard anyone complain about)
New synth - got loads of these since VST introduced
New device emulating Selig Gain
New device emulating Pump
New Browser (which they promised for R12 but saved the full implementation for R13)
Stereoiser
Combined Reverb/Delay

thedude

02 May 2024

I know the announcement blog post says Polytone has access to wavetables, but i also want to know if the standard waveforms are actually 'analog' generated like Thor is. Or, is Polytone just like Europa and Subtractor where everything is a wavetable?

jlgrimes

02 May 2024

dusan.cani wrote:
02 May 2024
"the browser has been redesigned as a floating window that you open when you need it and resize as you see fit. The previous browser area is now a dedicated Device Palette that takes up less space and is focused solely on devices. " =>

Oh no, this is very bad decision and it's AGAINST fast workflow. This integrated non-floated sidebar type browser was designed a long time ago as enhancement to workflow and now it's reverted back to floating window as it was in the Reason 4.0 era ?

The only major flaw of this integrated browser was auto defocus, which would be very easy to fix:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510597

So now we lost the fast preset browsing + drag and drop functionality and instead we have to open floating window every time as it was in the historic Reason versions ?

browser.JPG
I would have to test the browser to be sure.

It sounds like they are going back to the older popup browser which I actually liked better for casual patch browsing.

Even without tagging I found it fairly fast for manually browsing sounds. It's search was just slow (which RS improved on). I'm guessing with its more modernized code and SSD drives on most new boxes, searching will be fast.

Chi-Individual

02 May 2024

RobBarnett wrote:
02 May 2024
Combined Reverb/Delay
If you own Processed Pianos you already have a RS version of this fx with filter, lo fi, freq shift, chorus, eq and comp. And the reverb is shimmer.

Eprom

02 May 2024

The only thing I really like to see is the option to send MIDI clock to more than ONE output at once.
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

craste

02 May 2024

I’m sure on Sunday or Monday I posted a note saying I have a feeling in my bones that Reason will announce something soon. But my post was deleted or I didn’t actually post it as I thought why bother!

I’m going mad in my old age. (@mods did you delete my post?)

I can’t believe the amount of negative comments on here, if you check the website it says they will still release more information covering what’s new. It wouldn’t surprise me if track folders and markers have been added, and they will be little cherry’s on the cake.

It’s great that we have a Reason version of the Utility plugin, and an easy way to mono a mix.

I’ve been using Ableton a lot, with Reason as a VST, but Reason is my first love in terms of DAW’s so it would be nice to try a new track totally in Reason.

Hoping to get on the Beta program!

Well done Reason Studios, if the DAW gets some good reviews, then I reckon all the other DAW users using Reason as just a VST, will give it a go working totally in Reason, as it’s just a joy to use, as it’s beautiful to look at, sounds great and is really intuitive.

Creativemind

02 May 2024

Nocturn789 wrote:
02 May 2024
Awesome, finally some workflow improvements!

But, do you think there is hope for linked clips finally?
In terms of workflow, this has always been my biggest creative brake.

For example: Edit the first clip, delete the following 3 clips and then the following 4 clips after a gap, then copy the first clip, paste 3 times, and then paste again 4 times after the gap.
I'm getting tired of this.
You didn't explain this very well but linked clips has been a feature I've wanted for 10 years, it's absolutely baffling anyone would not want this feature and blocks isn't the same thing before anyone states that.

Linked clips is basically having say for example, a 4 chord progression in a clip and then just being able to drag the clip out to copy it (like FL Studio, Reaper etc does) and it just loops depending on the length of the first clip, 4 bars, 8 bars, 16 bars etc and each loop of the clip is the duplicate of the first clip, changing say a chord in that 4 chord progression from say a major to a minor and all the linked clips change too, saves so much time. The same thing with automation too.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

OverneathTheSkyBridg

02 May 2024

ambi wrote:
02 May 2024
It's interesting. Not long time ago Bitwig changed its browser. Noone asked for it and people (me included) hated it.
Now the same may happen to Reason. I really hope that it doesn't turn out to be that bad, because if it does, I'll stick to R12.
I looked it up, and it appears that Reason's browser was changed to what it is currently in R9, and it was a big selling point at the time if I remember correctly. Going back to the detached window while still leaving the device icons there is strange, considering you can already just have those icons by shrinking the tile. I personally would sooner have the focused edit window be the pop up while keeping the browser as it is (but with the obvious tag enhancements of course). I'll reserve full judgement after seeing the workflow in action on Youtube, but for me this will be the first version of Reason since 8 that doesn't excite me. Especially considering how it's likely to be priced I'm pretty good with R12. Beyond that though I hope this release is successful for the Reason Studios team, and maybe consider that punch in / out recording and other workflow requests we've seen in this thread.

EnochLight

02 May 2024

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
02 May 2024
I looked it up, and it appears that Reason's browser was changed to what it is currently in R9,
Nope - the redesign dumping the original window pop-up browser was in Reason 8, almost a decade ago. The later versions just tweaked it. Reason 13 is sort of a return to that pop-up window, but it's far more modern/useful.

/Mod note to everyone in this thread: I do hope people reserve judgement until they've tried it. So sad to see the doom and gloom posts. We all know they'll continue to add features in point releases anyway, so who knows what Reason 13.1, 13.2, etc will bring? ;)

But, for all those who have had enough and plan to go elsewhere, that's cool too.

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Faastwalker

02 May 2024

Haku wrote:
02 May 2024
Is the new Polytone synth coming to the Reason mobile as well?
Reason Mobile? Is that still a thing?

Faastwalker

02 May 2024

Neo wrote:
02 May 2024
Sweet! Lucky 13🤘

..and kudos the user who got excited enough to get tattooed :D

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6bZtoANOQZ
I would have gone for the offical '13' logo. He may be regretting his choice of font :D

• Information