Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Reminiscence

03 May 2024

Last bit of salt from me, and it's more a philosophical view. What in this next version will be improved upon in even further future releases? As in, what will be scrapped, like what was scrapped from previous versions? Think it through, they just want our moolah...

Loque

03 May 2024

selig wrote:
03 May 2024
MattiasHG wrote:
03 May 2024

It switches the entire filter section and you can adjust low/high cut both in the display and by dragging the values.

I have to say this simple feature alone may make Ripley a replacement for The Echo in all my future projects!
Hard to beat The Echo...we will see...
Reason12, Win10

riemac

03 May 2024

The pictures only show a white and black interface, will there still be a dark blue one?

jjpscott01

03 May 2024

luckygreen wrote:
03 May 2024
EnochLight wrote:
02 May 2024
... I do hope people reserve judgement until they've tried it. So sad to see the doom and gloom posts. ...
On one side: true. Save the final judgement until 13 is out in the wild. And yes, maybe we get one or another small features afterwards. On the other hand: RS has a history of ignoring most simple and essential feature requests for decades. So everyone requesting basic features will most likely be disappointed by 13. We all like or even love Reason. That's why we care so much. But still Reason could be so much better with some simple features like markers, folder tracks, FLAC support and fullsreen mode. No rocket science, really. It is so painful to see that those basic features most probably still do not exist in the upcomming version of Reason.
This isn't Reason specific. Read ANY other DAW forum on the planet and you'll hear users all over the place saying "(Insert DAW here) has a history of ignoring its users and not giving us the features we want".

It's far more likely that these DAW companies give us the features that they get the most requests for and implement those first. Of course there is always something that can be added. If I had a dollar for every time someone in other forums requested that Ableton or Bitwig had a built in pitch editor like the one in Reason I'd be rich. I for one have heard more requests for sequencer and arrangement updates to Reason than any other single request and that's exactly what RS is giving us here.

I think the more info that comes out about this release the more people will be excited about what they've done with 13. I already love the small tweaks they did to the arrangement view from just the one photo they've released. I also think having the editing tools put in the edit window at the bottom when sequencing is a huge plus. We'll see more as it gets closer, but 13 seems like an update that a lot of us really want.
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 5 | CUBASE 13 | SSL2+ | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

Reminiscence

03 May 2024

But I make music in the rack and not the sequencer. How do you explain that:
Stack as many filters as you want to narrow your results down
- Matthias

That seems to me more applicable to the rack than the browser he's referring to - maybe spectral filtering will come into play. I design my own sounds, no tagging feature can ever replace my ears and mind.

Theo.M

03 May 2024

Does that mean on reason+ sub I can just update to the latest version without a cost? Epic if so. Looking great.

Theo.M

03 May 2024

By the way from a technical view, I just hope you guys will consider updating the PDC behaviour to be in time visually with the music, and also perhaps add a high pass option in the detection circuit for the master compressor as I really still like the sound of Reason's master bus compressor, a LOT, but I find it a headache to create a high pass for it "the proper way". I need to start another topic on that soon as it's been so many years before I used Reason again back in March this year, (maybe more than 5 years)?? it's all confused me again. I am finding myself using Reason as a plugin every day however as that has worked flawlessly for me and I was surprised to find out yesterday i could even automate all the different effect parameters in Pro Tools.

challism

03 May 2024

Theo.M wrote:
03 May 2024
Does that mean on reason+ sub I can just update to the latest version without a cost? Epic if so. Looking great.
Yes. Reason + sub gives you full (and early) access to ALL RS REs and Reason DAW/RRP.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Theo.M

03 May 2024

challism wrote:
03 May 2024
Theo.M wrote:
03 May 2024
Yes. Reason + sub gives you full (and early) access to ALL RS REs and Reason DAW/RRP.
Great news. Cheers.

Even when my 6 months runs out (I have 4 months left), I am going to continue monthly payments pretty much until I can't make music anymore as I LOVE having all those devices. Personally I think the price is very fair for a sub with that much content.

mimidancer

03 May 2024

Isn't this the kinda thing Ryan should be telling us?

Kilsane

03 May 2024

I'm hoping for a video presentation on YouTube soon.

DaveyG

03 May 2024

Reminiscence wrote:
03 May 2024
Where's the promo vid?
One will probably arrive eventually.
In the meantime you can make your own.
Put on some banging dance music then go here:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/new-in-13
Slowly scroll down that page, pausing on each of the giant titles and read them out in Ryan's voice.
Aim to keep it under 3 minutes.

Promo.
Done.
:thumbup:

Pepin

03 May 2024

riemac wrote:
03 May 2024
The pictures only show a white and black interface, will there still be a dark blue one?
I wonder how many others use the blue theme... I've always used it myself since it's lower contrast. I find it easiest on the eyes when using a mix of light and dark colored plugins.

npinero1

03 May 2024

It's probably been asked here but is VST MIDI out available ?

Or is there an "on-platform" workaround?
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

mind2069

03 May 2024

selig wrote:
03 May 2024
MattiasHG wrote:
03 May 2024

It switches the entire filter section and you can adjust low/high cut both in the display and by dragging the values.

I have to say this simple feature alone may make Ripley a replacement for The Echo in all my future projects!
It was the first thing I looked for

I can't conceive that effects can come out in 2024 without low/high cuts (distortion, reverb, delay, chorus, phaser ect) of course you can always add an EQ after but its cumbersome.

The difference low and high cuts on effects can make in a mix is drastic, especially for dense mixes, cutting those lows and high on reverbs and delays can really clean up a mix.

spacepluk

03 May 2024

npinero1 wrote:
03 May 2024
It's probably been asked here but is VST MIDI out available ?

Or is there an "on-platform" workaround?
We'll have to ask Steinberg for that one.

Crumbfort

03 May 2024

jjpscott01 wrote:
03 May 2024
luckygreen wrote:
03 May 2024

On one side: true. Save the final judgement until 13 is out in the wild. And yes, maybe we get one or another small features afterwards. On the other hand: RS has a history of ignoring most simple and essential feature requests for decades. So everyone requesting basic features will most likely be disappointed by 13. We all like or even love Reason. That's why we care so much. But still Reason could be so much better with some simple features like markers, folder tracks, FLAC support and fullsreen mode. No rocket science, really. It is so painful to see that those basic features most probably still do not exist in the upcomming version of Reason.
This isn't Reason specific. Read ANY other DAW forum on the planet and you'll hear users all over the place saying "(Insert DAW here) has a history of ignoring its users and not giving us the features we want".

It's far more likely that these DAW companies give us the features that they get the most requests for and implement those first. Of course there is always something that can be added. If I had a dollar for every time someone in other forums requested that Ableton or Bitwig had a built in pitch editor like the one in Reason I'd be rich. I for one have heard more requests for sequencer and arrangement updates to Reason than any other single request and that's exactly what RS is giving us here.

I think the more info that comes out about this release the more people will be excited about what they've done with 13. I already love the small tweaks they did to the arrangement view from just the one photo they've released. I also think having the editing tools put in the edit window at the bottom when sequencing is a huge plus. We'll see more as it gets closer, but 13 seems like an update that a lot of us really want.
I mean, it does seem like a step in the right general direction. A teeny, tinnyyyyyy, tiny step. I suppose I've grown accustomed to the rate of updates Reaper and Bitwig get. Sadly, Reason moves at a snails pace compared to those two, and Bitwig really has become what I always wanted Reason to be: modular, playful, inventive, fun, constantly updated and modernized.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

spacepluk

03 May 2024

Crumbfort wrote:
03 May 2024
I mean, it does seem like a step in the right general direction. A teeny, tinnyyyyyy, tiny step. I suppose I've grown accustomed to the rate of updates Reaper and Bitwig get. Sadly, Reason moves at a snails pace compared to those two, and Bitwig really has become what I always wanted Reason to be: modular, playful, inventive, fun, constantly updated and modernized.
It's funny while I had Bitwig they didn't release anything interesting, then my plan expired and I had to pay again to get some minor stuff so I just sold it. I really dislike that licensing model, I'd rather have less releases when they are ready and with a pricing structure that makes sense (ie: pay for major releases).

Crumbfort

03 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
03 May 2024
Crumbfort wrote:
03 May 2024
It's funny while I had Bitwig they didn't release anything interesting, then my plan expired and I had to pay again to get some minor stuff so I just sold it. I really dislike that licensing model, I'd rather have less releases when they are ready and with a pricing structure that makes sense (ie: pay for major releases).
I get ya! Different strokes and all that. I'm actually fine with the Bitwig pricing model, because I love the updates and additions, and they just keep coming.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Reminiscence

03 May 2024

I use Bitwig because it's interesting, not because it should get. After using it, Reason felt so limited and uncreative.

spacepluk

03 May 2024

I get more music done on Reason with all it's quirks/limitations than any other DAW. And for me it is much more fun and inspiring than Bitwig, but if you like it that's all that matters.
This thread is about Reason 13 though :mrgreen:

crimsonwarlock

03 May 2024

DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2024
Put on some banging dance music then go here:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/new-in-13
Slowly scroll down that page, pausing on each of the giant titles and read them out in Ryan's voice.
There are already a bunch of those on YT :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

robussc

03 May 2024

Happy to see that the Polytone is properly attached to the rack, but I'm a bit worried about secure it is.... ;)
Polytone.png
Polytone.png (21.71 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

robussc

03 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
03 May 2024
I get more music done on Reason with all it's quirks/limitations than any other DAW. And for me it is much more fun and inspiring than Bitwig, but if you like it that's all that matters.
This thread is about Reason 13 though :mrgreen:
Where's that "like" button?! Talk about missing features!!!
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Reminiscence

03 May 2024

My apologies - I have been using Reason since 2.5. Remember the Scream4?

• Information