Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

06 May 2024

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 May 2024
I hope these new changes doesn't affect the way favorite lists work. Does anyone who has a better grasp of this know if it will?
I use my favorite lists to find my devices all the time. I never scroll down the regular instruments/effects/utilities lists, because a lot of them I never use.
To be honest I don't think I will use the tags search function all that much if I upgrade. I mostly think in terms of devices when I reach for instruments and effects.
Well, at least i can see the fav lists in the browser. But since the new browser does not seem to be for devices (RE and VST), i am not sure, if you still can have them in the browser and in the device list i do not see any favorites.
The tags also seem tobe focused on patches and not devices.
favlists.jpg
favlists.jpg (61.07 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Reason12, Win10

Noise
Competition Winner

06 May 2024

* I was writing this before reading the new posts, seems it's a common doubt *

I've been reviewing the available video showcasing the new browser and have gathered some thoughts about it. Additionally, I asked earlier about tagging VST3 or instruments, which is not available in this new version (yet, I hope).

The idea I'm getting is that the priority workflow in this update is: Presets / Refills / Soundbanks first.

Instead of selecting a device, you choose something like "Punchy Bass," and every device offering this tag becomes a potential candidate. This feature is very convenient if you're someone who prefers presets and doesn't care about their origin.

After years of collecting (or hoarding) devices, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a "sound type guy." This means that if I want a bass from a Moog (for example, the Legend), or a lead from an Oberheim, I will choose these devices first, rather than the random presets.

I've structured my sound design workflow around these favorite folders, where every device is ranked based on its frequency of use, from favorite to least used (or needing some love in the future)

preview_choices.png
preview_choices.png (127.68 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

Upon watching this browser preview video, I realized that this feature may potentially be gone. It seems that you can only manage presets. The only workaround I see is if this new browser supports reading *.vstPreset / *.fbx, in which case, you could wrap your devices in a preset or a Combinator and let the browser read it and you could manually tag it. Maybe..
Last edited by Noise on 06 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

deigm

06 May 2024

Loque wrote:
06 May 2024
TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 May 2024
I hope these new changes doesn't affect the way favorite lists work. Does anyone who has a better grasp of this know if it will?
I use my favorite lists to find my devices all the time. I never scroll down the regular instruments/effects/utilities lists, because a lot of them I never use.
To be honest I don't think I will use the tags search function all that much if I upgrade. I mostly think in terms of devices when I reach for instruments and effects.
Well, at least i can see the fav lists in the browser. But since the new browser does not seem to be for devices (RE and VST), i am not sure, if you still can have them in the browser and in the device list i do not see any favorites.

favlists.jpg
If there's a favourite section for patches then I suppose there's nothing stopping us from saving blank patches to use as device loaders and building favourite device lists that way. It does feel like that should live in the device window though.

Loque

06 May 2024

deigm wrote:
06 May 2024
Loque wrote:
06 May 2024

favlists.jpg
If there's a favourite section for patches then I suppose there's nothing stopping us from saving blank patches to use as device loaders and building favourite device lists that way. It does feel like that should live in the device window though.
Yea, sure. Than it is a patch and not a device. Curious how long i would take to create "device" patches for all my VSTs 🤔
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 May 2024

Loque wrote:
06 May 2024
TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 May 2024

favlists.jpg
Thanks for the reply. Yeah if the new system is catered to presets and tags and not devices I'll most likely skip this upgrade and stick to R11. The favorite list system has become really ingrained in my current workflow, so I'm not willing to give that up for the other stuff included. Unfortunately that's means I'll probably avoid other future upgrades as well if that's the case.
I mean new features is fun, but when changes start to mess with the core of ones workflow it's another thing.
But I'll keep an eye on things and watch how it works when R13 is released. We don't know for certain how the new system works yet.

timotheen

06 May 2024

Noise wrote:
06 May 2024
* I was writing this before reading the new posts, seems it's a common doubt *

I've been reviewing the available video showcasing the new browser and have gathered some thoughts about it. Additionally, I asked earlier about tagging VST3 or instruments, which is not available in this new version (yet, I hope).

The idea I'm getting is that the priority workflow in this update is: Presets / Refills / Soundbanks first.

Instead of selecting a device, you choose something like "Punchy Bass," and every device offering this tag becomes a potential candidate. This feature is very convenient if you're someone who prefers presets and doesn't care about their origin.

After years of collecting (or hoarding) devices, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a "sound type guy." This means that if I want a bass from a Moog (for example, the Legend), or a lead from an Oberheim, I will choose these devices first, rather than the random presets.

I've structured my sound design workflow around these favorite folders, where every device is ranked based on its frequency of use, from favorite to least used (or needing some love in the future)

preview_choices.png

Upon watching this browser preview video, I realized that this feature may potentially be gone. It seems that you can only manage presets. The only workaround I see is if this new browser supports reading *.vstPreset / *.fbx, in which case, you could wrap your devices in a preset or a Combinator and let the browser read it and you could manually tag it. Maybe..
I share the same kind of workflow, not only with devices, but also with numerous sample folders and samples favorite lists. I'm genuinely worried about the upcoming change...

Loque

06 May 2024

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 May 2024
Loque wrote:
06 May 2024

favlists.jpg
Thanks for the reply. Yeah if the new system is catered to presets and tags and not devices I'll most likely skip this upgrade and stick to R11. The favorite list system has become really ingrained in my current workflow, so I'm not willing to give that up for the other stuff included. Unfortunately that's means I'll probably avoid other future upgrades as well if that's the case.
I mean new features is fun, but when changes start to mess with the core of ones workflow it's another thing.
But I'll keep an eye on things and watch how it works when R13 is released. We don't know for certain how the new system works yet.
I am totally with you. My favorite lists are devices only.

But the picture also shows a arrow in the device browser on the left side. Maybe there is some kind of advanced search, but probably no own created lists anymore. In a few weeks will see the final release....
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

06 May 2024

Loque wrote:
06 May 2024
TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 May 2024

favlists.jpg
Grabbed this image from the RS page, it shows the familiar favorites "star" ("Showcase" in this case) so I'm guessing everything is going to be just fine…

Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 8.34.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 8.34.02 AM.png (509.46 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
Selig Audio, LLC

robussc

06 May 2024

rorystorm wrote:
06 May 2024

well, I don't know if you'd see this as a solution or not, but what I do is have a whole bunch of Favourite folders, one for each kind of effect - one for delay, one for compression, one for reverb, one for amp sims, etc - and for me that actually works better than tagging them would. And so, as you say, I have RV7000 next to Valhalla and it's actually really helpful because it means I don't have to perform any searches, everything is just there. It takes about ten minutes to set up and any time you get a new RE or VST you just add it to the relevant folder/s. And you can move devices around in the Favourites list so you can put the ones you use the most near the top. What is really good is that you can see all the delays you have, for example, in one place which makes it easier to switch things up and not use the same device again and again out of habit.

I picked this up off an old RT thread a few years ago so thanks to whoever wrote it back in the day..... Hopefully the whole favouriting thing works the same way with the new browser.....
I did something similar for sounds as I was tired of endlessly auditioning random sounds, so I bit the bullet and methodically went through all the instruments and created a bunch of folders containing favorite basses, pads, keys etc. (but instead of using favorites, I just save the actual patches). So now it's much more efficient to find a sound I like as I like all the sounds :)

With the V-Collection this was made much easier thanks to the tagging, so I could quickly filter classic synth sounds and then audition those to keep the ones I like, so I think the tag system will help me find sounds in future, but once I find one I like I'm still going to save it to my collection, because I don't want to risk not finding it again.

I'm going to do what you suggest for effects as my collection has grown a lot since I added the FX Collection (and a couple of other things)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Loque

06 May 2024

Hum...i cannot see the device browser in that screenshot.
seqnodevices.jpg
seqnodevices.jpg (67.34 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

06 May 2024

selig wrote:
06 May 2024
Grabbed this image from the RS page, it shows the familiar favorites "star" ("Showcase" in this case) so I'm guessing everything is going to be just fine…
Not sure where you grabbed that image, but that is the 'old' browser-pane that we have right now :puf_wink:

The 'devices' pane (at the left side of the screen) that is going to replace it, shows only devices and no folders/favorites/etc.

2024-05-06 16_16_48-Window.png
2024-05-06 16_16_48-Window.png (769.13 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

timotheen

06 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 May 2024
selig wrote:
06 May 2024
Not sure where you grabbed that image, but that is the 'old' browser-pane that we have right now :puf_wink:

The 'devices' pane (at the left side of the screen) that is going to replace it, shows only devices and no folders/favorites/etc.

2024-05-06 16_16_48-Window.png
Exactly.

Creativemind

06 May 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 May 2024
Creativemind wrote:
06 May 2024

What's his channel on You Tube called as non of the linked video's here work now, he's deleted the video's. Tried searching on You Tube, "Rob Barnett Reason" and nothing.
Looked it up for you. They reuploaded it. You'd think they did so because they realized the mistake? No. Still makes no sense. 😂

So Mimic and Europa aren't getting updates as far as we know then?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

DaveyG

06 May 2024

We should probably wait for the release before we get too stressed about what might or might not be in it. One thing's for sure: they won't be making any design changes at this late stage regardless of what gets posted in this thread. :D

motuscott

06 May 2024

Yeah, this sure is an excitable crowd.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

PhillipOrdonez

06 May 2024

Creativemind wrote:
06 May 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 May 2024

Looked it up for you. They reuploaded it. You'd think they did so because they realized the mistake? No. Still makes no sense. 😂

So Mimic and Europa aren't getting updates as far as we know then?
Based on the fact almost none of the things that person says actually match with the announcement by Reason Studios... Probably not? :shrugs:

joeyluck

06 May 2024

DaveyG wrote:
06 May 2024
We should probably wait for the release before we get too stressed about what might or might not be in it. One thing's for sure: they won't be making any design changes at this late stage regardless of what gets posted in this thread. :D
Yeah the vast majority of the time it's locked. There have been minor changes during betas, although typically it's more behaviors that might get adjusted, but of course that's done through beta testing. If anybody has a concern or curiosity about how something might work, joining the beta would be the best way to find out and best place to voice those things.

Liimusic

06 May 2024

New Pics:
Attachments
IMG_9757.jpeg
IMG_9757.jpeg (256.08 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
IMG_9755.jpeg
IMG_9755.jpeg (275.24 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
IMG_9756.jpeg
IMG_9756.jpeg (253.17 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

djsmex

06 May 2024

There's no accessibility improvements, so I guess Ableton will be winning the market share here. Perhaps 14 will see some improvements for screen reader support?
In the mean time I can try and get something out using Remote and web UI. I have been working on different prototypes, see on youtube @johnsexton8082
:rebirth: :recycle: :reason: :re: :refill: :refillpacker:
youtube @johnsexton8082
www.reasonremoter.co.uk

MrMeeseeks

06 May 2024

Love reason, been using it since v5 but still amazed that they have not included a proper modern remote system even seemingly in the new version, for example, I just bought the new Legend HZ, opened it in cubase right clicked and learnt a couple of controls on my key lab mk2 and away we go.
In reason, it seemingly wont even pass through cc data to a vst unless you build it into a combi first, I kind of get that, 3rd parties and all, and would be fine if you were at least able to do proper midi learn with RE's, instead we still have to go arsing about editing txt files, I bought a couple of re's recently, luna and expanse, got no control over them unless I go through the "dance of death" with the remote files, just feel it shouldn't be this way in 2024.
Proper midi learn would stop me from diverting to cubase a lot of the time as Reason would have it all for me.

Marc64

06 May 2024

Liimusic wrote:
06 May 2024
New Pics:
Where are those images from?

Pepin

06 May 2024

Loque wrote:
06 May 2024
Hum...i cannot see the device browser in that screenshot.

seqnodevices.jpg
It's hidden. You can see in some screenshots the top toolbar contains "Devices" and "Browser" buttons before Mixer/Rack/Sequencer.

Liimusic

06 May 2024

Marc64 wrote:
06 May 2024
Liimusic wrote:
06 May 2024
New Pics:
Saw it one youtube. Some guy named saf nitty posted it.

Marc64

06 May 2024

Liimusic wrote:
06 May 2024
Marc64 wrote:
06 May 2024

Saw it one youtube. Some guy named saf nitty posted it.
Can't find it anywhere.

mimidancer

06 May 2024

I couldn't care less about the library organizer. But I hope I can record more than one MIDI track at a time. I do not think that is a big ask.

• Information