Petition to ask Reason developers to start using their DAW.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jlgrimes

25 Mar 2022

I would imagine they are using their DAW.

Problem is is everyone has a different workflow preference and they probably see nothing or very little wrong with current workflow.

Even mentioning trying another program can be confusing as some of the other programs they don't like or really understand the workflow.

That said they most likely need some new staff (not necessarily programmers), who are willing to go against the grain and challenge ideas (which is difficult in a corporate environment where teams might have fixed ways and probably valid reasons for them).

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2022

jlgrimes wrote:
25 Mar 2022
That said they most likely need some new staff (not necessarily programmers), who are willing to go against the grain and challenge ideas (which is difficult in a corporate environment where teams might have fixed ways and probably valid reasons for them).
After 25 years of doing things their own way, that might be a hard task.

As a programmer, I know how easy it is for me to focus on what I think is important to focus on now (usually it's the biggest task). The long list of tiny stuff I know I can get to and knock out after I've dealt with the "big bad".

Their file search is monstrously slow. I don't know how on Earth they could make it so slow either. My guess is that someone is asserting some ridiculous ideal about how they want to structure code and algorithms, so they're probably running the search through a few layers of abstraction that are capable of performing a search, but do so in the most unnecessarily costly way.

I'll bet my last Rolo that a number of costly operations are being executed repeatedly by mere accident (or as a side-effect). It could be something dumb like always performing a directory lookup for every parent directory during its search. So when you do a search in your SAMPLES folder, when it gets around to searching inside SAMPLES/drums/kicks/bouncy it will first perform the search in SAMPLES, then SAMPLES/drums, then SAMPLES/drums/kicks. Maybe it also has to do that when evaluating each file as well. It's hard to tell, but it's clearly doing something monstrously wrong with its search.

It's a teeny tiny task to fix that. We're talking about 10-15 minutes (I had shared this with the dev team and some of their testers, sharing C code and shell scripts I knocked out in minutes that outperform Reason's search by a factor of like a bajillion). They didn't respond to it, but they've definitely seen it (it was in a small group).

I'm bringing that up because it tells me they simply refuse to make the search faster. It's not much of a development effort. And it's a real pain when you've got to search for missing samples (even when it's just one missing sample). And you can bet it's the same for many other features.

ekss
RE Developer

26 Mar 2022

avasopht wrote:
26 Mar 2022
I'm bringing that up because it tells me they simply refuse to make the search faster.
Faster search is one of the new features in R12, they completely revamped the search and browse.

Hoboys

26 Mar 2022

ekss wrote:
26 Mar 2022
avasopht wrote:
26 Mar 2022
I'm bringing that up because it tells me they simply refuse to make the search faster.
Faster search is one of the new features in R12, they completely revamped the search and browse.
Good for them, but that's kind of the whole point of this thread. Had RS been using the DAW, they wouldn't have to be shamed into fixing or changing something via youtube videos with higher viewership than they have. This way they'd be able to improve things in a timely manner instead of reactively, after the damage has already been done. Why the hell else would "search and browse" be so high on the to-do list - either Ryan nagged enough times he couldn't make a video without embarrassing himself, or they've been dogged about it to a point they took damage. There is just no 3rd option. And if someone at RS was actually writing songs with Reason, we would IMMEDIATELY get hotkey exposition for basic sequencer stuff like pitch/slice edit. If it were a composer - we'd get one for the Groove mixer too, had strum and time-fractioning of midi notes on (right)click, chords assistance and all that jazz. That's just how it works. They are not using their DAW, because there are too many doors without handles for that to be true.

crimsonwarlock

26 Mar 2022

Hoboys wrote:
26 Mar 2022
They are not using their DAW, because there are too many doors without handles for that to be true.
By that reasoning, nobody would be able to use their DAW for the same reason. I, personally, wouldn't be able to use their DAW because "there are too many doors without handles for that to be true". But here I am (and many other users) using the Reason DAW without running into "too many doors without handles".
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Hoboys

26 Mar 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Mar 2022
Hoboys wrote:
26 Mar 2022
They are not using their DAW, because there are too many doors without handles for that to be true.
By that reasoning, nobody would be able to use their DAW for the same reason. I, personally, wouldn't be able to use their DAW because "there are too many doors without handles for that to be true". But here I am (and many other users) using the Reason DAW without running into "too many doors without handles".
Why? You can use a door without a handle.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2022

ekss wrote:
26 Mar 2022
avasopht wrote:
26 Mar 2022
Sure, but I brought that up several years ago. They didn't even bother to respond.

I'm not saying they vowed to never ever improve search.

I'm saying that for all these years they simply refused to improve it, even though it takes the better part of about 5-10 minutes.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2022

Hoboys wrote:
26 Mar 2022
Had RS been using the DAW, they wouldn't have to be shamed into fixing or changing something via youtube videos with higher viewership than they have. This way they'd be able to improve things in a timely manner instead of reactively, after the damage has already been done. Why the hell else would "search and browse" be so high on the to-do list - either Ryan nagged enough times he couldn't make a video without embarrassing himself, or they've been dogged about it to a point they took damage. There is just no 3rd option. And if someone at RS was actually writing songs with Reason, we would IMMEDIATELY get hotkey exposition for basic sequencer stuff like pitch/slice edit. If it were a composer - we'd get one for the Groove mixer too, had strum and time-fractioning of midi notes on (right)click, chords assistance and all that jazz. That's just how it works. They are not using their DAW, because there are too many doors without handles for that to be true.
You underestimate the extent of idealism.

You don't need to use the DAW to know its search is monstrously slow. And they've known about this and many other things

There are a few fundamental UX violations they'd known about long before they got round to improving them.

They most certainly know about all shortcomings people bring up. They just prioritise it differently.

• Information