Keystep pro

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Barriott

03 Oct 2021

Hi,

Does anyone have a keystep pro and use it with reason?

I've been running one for a bit now. I really like it but it's got one fairly big flaw. When setting up the KSP as the master the KSP clock fluctuates, doesn't sync up correctly causing time based digital hash, pops and clicks.

I've opened up a ticket with arturia and they've admitted that this is a known issue.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issues. And if you are do you fancy a bit of a batch about. You know. Like a therapy batch.

mimidancer

03 Oct 2021

I know it is not the same. But I use a beatstep pro with reason 12. I have not had any sync issues. But I always use the reason clock to drive the beatstep. Is your issue just when you are using the Keystep as the master? If so, I will see if i can recreate the issue with the beatstep pro. It is the same basic sequencer, no?

Barriott

04 Oct 2021

Yeah so I'm using the KSP to drive reason.

If you do stick on a rv2000 and put it into sync'd echo mode where you can see, as well as hear the audio artifacts.

Thanks. I imagine the BSP and ksp are much the same architecture

Italophile

06 Oct 2021

Barriott wrote:
04 Oct 2021

If you do stick on a rv2000 and put it into sync'd echo mode where you can see, as well as hear the audio artifacts.

Did you try turning off Step Listen?
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?top ... #msg185204

selig
RE Developer

06 Oct 2021

Barriott wrote:
04 Oct 2021

Depending on what you're trying to do, I would suggest Reason as the master clock. First off, if you're recording audio into Reason you'll want Reason to be the clock master rather than it chasing an external clock. In fact, if any audio (tracks) are used in Reason I'd keep Reason as the clock master - and I always have at least a few audio tracks in Reason, so I keep it as master.
In my case I'm driving a Novation SL mkIII which then passes MIDI clock on to the MiniBrute, and on to the modular via CV clock.
I just feel a little MIDI jitter is better than a little audio jitter, all other things being the same. Plus, I can still totally control Reason's transport from the SL mkIII even when it is not the clock master. And if I choose to create a tempo map it's much easier to do so in Reason…can't think of any advantage to having the SL mkIII as the clock master, at least for any of my most common sync workflows.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Barriott

06 Oct 2021

Thanks.

I'm using it in a live situation. It's nice to be able to track the Band with the tap tempo then cue in a pattern. Also with the correct tempo for time based fx. As a work round I've had reason as my master clock and designated the bottom c note as the tap tempo. To be honest it's a really inelegant work round when there a tap tempo and tempo knob right there on the KSP.

Thanks for the advice

• Information