Youtuber tries Reason 12 for the first time and tries to make acid techno

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
electrofux

21 Sep 2021

I enjoyed the video alot. Seeing someone making the first steps in Reason who has alot of knowledge in his area of music making was interesting. Though "making acid techno" is a bit exaggerated when the outcome is a 3 track loop.

Melody303

21 Sep 2021

Uhm guys, you do know I've written 150+ Acid tracks in the last 2 years, right? I mean sure, they're not house or techno, rather downtempo, but if acid is your bag, you don't need to go looking for youtubers or setting up comps, I've been posting my music here for a while now, lol.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Carpainter

21 Sep 2021

Making acid in Reason is like recording a band with Pro Tools. It's what the software was made for. They've shoehorned traditional DAW features into Reason over the years with varying degrees of success, but for me it will always be the ultimate techno studio.

integerpoet

21 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
21 Sep 2021
I've also never thought of using that randomize pattern thing on the Matrix.
Let's be honest. Tchaikovsky would have loathed acid.

orthodox
RE Developer

21 Sep 2021

integerpoet wrote:
21 Sep 2021
I just thought of replacing celesta in Sugar Plum Fairy with a 303. Should be interesting.

Popey
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2021

Melody303 wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Uhm guys, you do know I've written 150+ Acid tracks in the last 2 years, right? I mean sure, they're not house or techno, rather downtempo, but if acid is your bag, you don't need to go looking for youtubers or setting up comps, I've been posting my music here for a while now, lol.
Ah Melody303 your music is cool in my opinion but this is more about creating acid tracks and a bit of fun not just listening (which I enjoy with your songs)

Melody303

21 Sep 2021

Popey wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Melody303 wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Ah Melody303 your music is cool in my opinion but this is more about creating acid tracks and a bit of fun not just listening (which I enjoy with your songs)
Ah okay, I got it, and thanks. :)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Faastwalker

21 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
21 Sep 2021
I enjoyed the video. Interesting to see someone come back to Reason after a lengthy hiatus. I actually had a call from a friend last weekend who I’ve known a few years. She mainly uses Logic but I’ve been banging on about Reason for a while. Apparently she used it sometime ago but then moved on to other software. Anyway, she called up, very excited, after downloading the Reason 12 demo and giving it a test run. She was blown away! She was absolutely loving it and the immediacy of the access to sounds and the rack. She was loving Europa especially. She was planning to buy it. She’s a teacher so apparently can get a discount via Manny’s. Was great to hear such a positive take on Reason 12. A lot of negativity around. Gets a bit tiring after a while 😕
Hope you told her get in before the price hike. 🤣
I did :thumbs_up: Will be following up to remind her before the end of the month as well ;)

Faastwalker

21 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Yeah not bad what he came up with with a Monotone Bass sounded pretty good but my initial thought for an acid bass line was SubTractor. I've also never thought of using that randomize pattern thing on the Matrix.
I thought he was going to pull up Audio Realism’s ABL3. I guess he’s not discovered Rack Extensions yet! :D ABL3 is a bloody good 303 emulator. Essential RE for me for bringing the Acid to the rack :puf_wink: But the Monotone Bass sounded really nice in his vid. I must admit I’ve not used Monotone a huge amount. I should spend a bit of time on it …… that and 10’s of other devices in the rack :oops:

Jagwah

21 Sep 2021

Popey wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Melody303 wrote:
21 Sep 2021
It's cool and the gang you guys. Melody303 we want a few tracks from you too so we will keep it to one or two entries each and like I said a certain tempo range will be insisted on here. Anyways, keep an eye out on the comps and challenges forum in a few days I will make an 'ideas' thread for this and see if anyone else has any other good ideas. I have a very uninspiring job taking over my life right now and this is inspiring me so it must be done, talk to you guys about it in the next few days on said forum once the thread is made!

fieldframe
RE Developer

21 Sep 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Yeah not bad what he came up with with a Monotone Bass sounded pretty good but my initial thought for an acid bass line was SubTractor. I've also never thought of using that randomize pattern thing on the Matrix.
I thought he was going to pull up Audio Realism’s ABL3. I guess he’s not discovered Rack Extensions yet! :D ABL3 is a bloody good 303 emulator. Essential RE for me for bringing the Acid to the rack :puf_wink: But the Monotone Bass sounded really nice in his vid. I must admit I’ve not used Monotone a huge amount. I should spend a bit of time on it …… that and 10’s of other devices in the rack :oops:
I was wondering how he would get on with Monotone, and I wasn't expecting that he'd be able to dial in something so squelchy straight away. Turns out it makes for a solid 303 in a pinch! Monotone is probably my favorite post-Record-era stock device, and this was a lot of fun to see.

Creativemind

21 Sep 2021

integerpoet wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
21 Sep 2021
I've also never thought of using that randomize pattern thing on the Matrix.
Yeah it stings s bit lol!

Acid House is better.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

21 Sep 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Yeah the Berlin School bass patch is great.

Proboscis

21 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
20 Sep 2021
I wonder if we are due for an acid house song comp here
Yes !
Popey wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Even if there is not an official comp why don't we just make some acid house with reason and share it in the music section.
Yes ! Or, an unoffical comp !
Jagwah wrote:
21 Sep 2021
We need an actual comp to get people interested
YEEEEEESSS !

I don't make 'acid', and to be honest I'm not even 100% on what the OG music style of the genre is, apart from bleeps & boops out of a 303 over a tight, repetetive beat. But I would LOVE to have a goal in mind to explore an area of music that I haven't in the past.

A consideration too, at a time when there's a lot of bad vibes around the dick moves of ReasonStudios, to get back to playing with the software and discovering cool new ideas.

The more restrictions the better. I would like to see a challenge with STOCK instruments and FX only. Actual 303 RE or VST not allowed !

Jagwah

22 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Jagwah wrote:
20 Sep 2021
I wonder if we are due for an acid house song comp here
Yes !
Popey wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Even if there is not an official comp why don't we just make some acid house with reason and share it in the music section.
Yes ! Or, an unoffical comp !
Jagwah wrote:
21 Sep 2021
We need an actual comp to get people interested
YEEEEEESSS !

I don't make 'acid', and to be honest I'm not even 100% on what the OG music style of the genre is, apart from bleeps & boops out of a 303 over a tight, repetetive beat. But I would LOVE to have a goal in mind to explore an area of music that I haven't in the past.

A consideration too, at a time when there's a lot of bad vibes around the dick moves of ReasonStudios, to get back to playing with the software and discovering cool new ideas.

The more restrictions the better. I would like to see a challenge with STOCK instruments and FX only. Actual 303 RE or VST not allowed !
Glad some others are keen. Yes we should all stick to the Same synth perhaps subtractive or Thor. Even better give me a day or two and I will make a thread in comps and challenges asking for people's input as to how best to do the com and any ideas. Or go ahead and make it yourself, just really like the idea of a dj mixable bunch of acid tracks . I can try make the thread tonight so keep an eye out. Agreed it's time to make some music instead of all the doom and gloom. Anyway back to the grind for now 🙃

Proboscis

22 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Glad some others are keen. Yes we should all stick to the Same synth perhaps subtractive or Thor.
No no no, that's TOO restrictive !

I was thinking 'anything in the stock rack, anything in the stock FSB'. To showcase Reason.

And how about........ all entries at the same tempo of 130 BPM, or whatever.

Then all the entries can be compiled into a seamless mixtape. :clap:

Popey
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

I don't mind what the limitations are and this thread inspired me to start messing around with ideas last night. I have used monotone, abl3 and legend so far but can easily swap these out to stock rs devices.

Out of interest is rhythmic stock as I hardly ever use it so decided to make my drums in it this time. I cannot remember buying it so assume it is stock.

Edit: bpm of my idea is 130.

Tiny Montgomery

22 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Put the synth in a combi, put the matrix outside the combi, cable gate and note CV from the the matrix to the combi. Put scales and chords on top of the synth in the combi. Turn chords off and set your scale. You can now generate lines in key. I also add Note Filter and Humaniser. Add Pattern Mutator to the end of the player chain to store any keepers.

Proboscis

22 Sep 2021

Popey wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Out of interest is rhythmic stock as I hardly ever use it so decided to make my drums in it this time. I cannot remember buying it so assume it is stock.
Rytmik and Monotone came out together as stock devices, to translate the iOS mobile projects into the Reason rack.

Creativemind

22 Sep 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Put the synth in a combi, put the matrix outside the combi, cable gate and note CV from the the matrix to the combi. Put scales and chords on top of the synth in the combi. Turn chords off and set your scale. You can now generate lines in key. I also add Note Filter and Humaniser. Add Pattern Mutator to the end of the player chain to store any keepers.
:thumbs_up:

Will try this out today, all except Pattern Mutator because that wasn't free was it?

Saying that though, my 3 months for £3 is still running over (should've ended on 14th) so I still have it. I used PayPal, it doesn't auto renew does it for full price? I have checked my bank account and PayPal and haven't seen anything gone out.

Jagwah

22 Sep 2021

Popey wrote:
22 Sep 2021
I don't mind what the limitations are...
Proboscis wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Yes !
Melody303 wrote:
21 Sep 2021
...if acid is your bag...
Thanks for the interest and inspiration guys, let's make it happen: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7524858

jamespember
Reason Studios

22 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
22 Sep 2021

Will try this out today, all except Pattern Mutator because that wasn't free was it?

Saying that though, my 3 months for £3 is still running over (should've ended on 14th) so I still have it. I used PayPal, it doesn't auto renew does it for full price? I have checked my bank account and PayPal and haven't seen anything gone out.
It should renew for full price, yes.

Creativemind

22 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
22 Sep 2021

It should renew for full price, yes.
Oh that sneaky trick, automatic roll over that I didn't want.

I had a feeling it had but finances have become tight recently and it should default to "OFF"!

PhillipOrdonez

22 Sep 2021

Of course they default to on... They all default to on.

fullforce

22 Sep 2021

But honestly, any idiot can do this, right?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

• Information