Could I lose the chance for a free upgrade to 9.5?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marketblandings

11 Jul 2017

Hi folks,

I am totally happy with Reason 9.2.2. I am very methodical, digging deep into manuals, studying music theory as I study recording techniques.
I am busy and happy.
Now this free 9.5 upgrade comes along.
I am not at a point where I would even want to plow through a million VST choices. Some day perhaps.
But I don't want to lose compatibility with the OS updates, other software etc.
Should I do the free upgrade just because it's here now and it's free? Will I never see a free upgrade again? Will 9.5 ruin my happy, functional, glitch-free playground?
Advice wanted, thanks

jonheal

11 Jul 2017

I think it is essentially a risk-free upgrade if you simply control your urges and do not enter any VST houses of ill repute.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

RequiemMachine

11 Jul 2017

You won't loose the "free" upgrade as its note a timed promotion. Its just an update to Reason 9. That being said, there really is no reason to not upgrade. In addition to VST support, they've also added built in delay compensation and recently added hyper-threading support for those of us with processors that have HT. Not to mention there our bug fixes in the updates as well. If VSTs don't appeal to you at all, simple don't load any into Reason. The only way VSTs will cause any issues if if you use them within Reason. I would suggest to just upgrade and then don't use VSTs in Reason if you're worried.
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Marketblandings

11 Jul 2017

RequiemMachine wrote:
11 Jul 2017
You won't loose the "free" upgrade as its note a timed promotion. Its just an update to Reason 9. That being said, there really is no reason to not upgrade. In addition to VST support, they've also added built in delay compensation and recently added hyper-threading support for those of us with processors that have HT. Not to mention there our bug fixes in the updates as well. If VSTs don't appeal to you at all, simple don't load any into Reason. The only way VSTs will cause any issues if if you use them within Reason. I would suggest to just upgrade and then don't use VSTs in Reason if you're worried.
Great advice! Just what I was looking for. I will eventually jump into the VST pool - it's just not a diversion that I want right now from my steady and structured study of music and recording.

Is "delay compensation" the long-awaited, final death of latency? Or something else.....
Last edited by Marketblandings on 11 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Marketblandings

11 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
11 Jul 2017
I think it is essentially a risk-free upgrade if you simply control your urges and do not enter any VST houses of ill repute.
Oh, you may be kidding.... but when I see online articles like "the Top 60 VST plug-ins Everyone Should Consider", I know I've entered a world beyond time and space.

Marketblandings

11 Jul 2017

Well.. that was painless. 10 mins. exactly to download and install. Every hair in place. Including my templates etc.
Thanks for the good advice, y'all!

• Information