2016 and no multitouch?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
SakisX

05 May 2016

Hi,
I wonder if Reason users use touch screens. I recently bought a small 20" affordable multitouch monitor and first thing was downloading Reason (I hadn't used it since Reason 3!!) . Was a bit disappointed and now try to decide between bitwig and fl studio.

PS. I haven't bought Reason and not using it ,this is why I am asking your opinion as "advanced" users

Spryx

05 May 2016

I imagine that most of us still use a mouse... but given Propellerhead's love of mobile...I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it in a new version
latest:

gak

05 May 2016

Delora makes a very nice mtouch for ipad, but I guess I don't understand multi touch. Here is a video with someone using it.

Iapetus 9

06 May 2016

If I were to base my DAW decision on whether or not I could smear my KFC dinner and cheetos all over the monitor, then I guess I'd have to go with Kristal Audio Engine. YMMV.
Last edited by Iapetus 9 on 12 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
38L > 51D every time.

normen

06 May 2016

I tried around with touch but in the end mouse and control surfaces are way better, faster and more exact.

chimp_spanner

06 May 2016

I use a Wacom Intuos and it's almost like having touch. Cabling with a pen is so much better than a mouse!

Noplan
Competition Winner

06 May 2016

Call me outdated but I hate all touch devices, even my smartphone. I get something like claustrophobia from it. It is a funny road solution but it can't replace a mouse and a keyboard for me.

gak

06 May 2016

Noplan wrote:Call me outdated
Ok, you're outdated

:mrgreen:
but I hate all touch devices, even my smartphone. I get something like claustrophobia from it. It is a funny road solution but it can't replace a mouse and a keyboard for me.
When using the delora on the ipad it's a joy. It's tough to tell someone that experience w/o being right there.

SakisX

22 May 2016

Hope to see a video for Reason 9 :puf_smile:
Maybe on small tablet screen multitouch editing is not so great ,but on larger screens it's awesome . For sure it doesn't replace keyboard , pad , rotary controllers , but editing something without losing focus on the screen helps workflow (imo)

TheGodOfRainbows

22 May 2016

Noplan wrote:Call me outdated but I hate all touch devices, even my smartphone. I get something like claustrophobia from it. It is a funny road solution but it can't replace a mouse and a keyboard for me.
Uhm, yeah ok, you are outdated, and old! Are you my grandmother? I'M JOKING!!! DON'T TAZE ME GUYS! :twisted:

Seriously though, I understand exactly what you mean. I will ALWAYS want physical knobs and tactile interface, because that's much more natural, because of human evolution and stuff. There is no tactile response on the glass screen, yet at least. I don't have a tablet or new iPhone, but I've heard about new things like force/tactile feedback and various technologies that I thought would be more common by now.

Anyway, yeah I feel you. I'm waiting for a few generations of the Microsoft Surface to have some of these kinds of technologies, for both music making AND drawing and painting programs, like Corel's Painter so that I can FEEL the brush stroke's pressure and the paints viscosity and the canvas texture!!!! OMG!!!! HURRY UP FUTURE AND GET HERE!

It would be cool to be able to feel notches in the knobs as you turn them, a subtle tick as you drag a note on the sequencer, etc. But really, I think we all want the best of both worlds, and a convergence of all tech both old and new.

Noplan
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2016

Noplan wrote:
gak wrote:
Noplan wrote:Call me outdated
Ok, you're outdated

:mrgreen:
I have to revise my statement. I bought a digital mixer "XR18" from Behringer for my band and we control the faders and effects via tablet or smartphone. It's pure gold for a band like us, because we are mixing ourselfes at the most gigs. Instead of a heavy analog mixer we have now a 3 kg "stagebox-like" mixer and everyone makes his own monitor sound with his smartphone. It makes a lot of things easier. :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Noplan on 27 Oct 2016, edited 2 times in total.

PSoames

27 Oct 2016

I scratch my arse a lot.

I really don't want touchscreen.

txh003

28 Oct 2016

normen wrote:I tried around with touch but in the end mouse and control surfaces are way better, faster and more exact.
+1.

My experience has been the same.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

Raveshaper

28 Oct 2016

Gaming mouse with thumb buttons mapped to common keyboard shortcuts. Only way to go for me.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

jonheal

28 Oct 2016

Multi-touching'll give you herpes.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

HepCat

28 Oct 2016

I personally don't consider this to be about "things" or "sticking your finger up your own booty and then wiping the screen" (lol!) or "a panegyric on keyboard shortcuts" or running things via tablets aka toys.

If you have a nice big touchscreen monitor + PC with a powerful CPU and GPU, then l imagine it could be pretty useful for art and music, if the softwares were all multitouch. I believe Reason's sequencer was (as "Reason Record") / is multitouch. I don't have a touchscreen monitor to test it though.

If only Reason would do this, and if it's snappy in its execution, then what you'd have is truly something awesome. 2 x 27" touchscreens, Reason fully - i mean fully (not "let's skip this coding multitouch for this feature because nobody will want to multitouch that, i bet!" - just pre-empting things hehe) implemented multitouch, then how would that not be like having physical gear? All else you'd need is a mid-priced MIDI controller with about 20 dials 9 sliders, 60 buttons, for any multitouch controlled processes that doesn't have GUI icons.

And yeah, it's 2016, this multitouch thing is over a decade old in the mainstream.
Last edited by HepCat on 28 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

TheGuyNotNamedBob

28 Oct 2016

There is an app for ipad, if you have that that acts like a controller. Just google IOS Reason and it should come up.

Not sure if this helps, but I just thought I should throw it out there.

Delora Software

29 Oct 2016

TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:There is an app for ipad, if you have that that acts like a controller. Just google IOS Reason and it should come up.

Sorry for the shameless self promotion but I thought I would save some time with Google:

http://www.delora.com/products/rstouch/
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software
Developer of rsTouch Pro for Reason, and rsRemote for Reason

jonheal

29 Oct 2016

Delora Software wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:There is an app for ipad, if you have that that acts like a controller. Just google IOS Reason and it should come up.

Sorry for the shameless self promotion but I thought I would save some time with Google:

Android? Purty please? :puf_smile:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

TheGuyNotNamedBob

29 Oct 2016

Delora Software wrote:

That's it. Just couldn't remember the name.

PSoames

29 Oct 2016

Despite my misgivings on touchscreen technology for music production, this got my attention.

• Information