Eq in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dr_tolle

26 Apr 2016

next question

why does the eq (F2) seem to be very little flexible ?
the eq's can not overlap.
I can not adjust the number like if I want to change the q value (or can I?)
I can not adjust the steepness of the cutoff curve.

Regards Thomas

normen

26 Apr 2016

Because it works exactly like an SSL EQ

Edit: And yes you can change the Q value, just Alt-drag the dot (as the UI says in the bottom right).
Last edited by normen on 26 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.

WongoTheSane

26 Apr 2016

You can use an MClass Equalizer as an insert effect instead, which has (in addition to hi and lo shelf) two parametric bands, all with Q.
mc eq.JPG
mc eq.JPG (51.24 KiB) Viewed 4530 times

Gaja

26 Apr 2016

Also you can get a steeper Q by using the E mode.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

dr_tolle

26 Apr 2016

Thanks for the answers. Yeah I will probably have to use the insert effect then.
Its still totally not understandable why a great program like reason does not have a flexible and nice eq on every track like the other 'big' sequencer programs has..

Anyway Thanks ;)

dr_tolle

26 Apr 2016

Just tried the E-mode you talked about Gaja. well it helps a little but still not possible to pin out a tight frequency area.

normen

26 Apr 2016

dr_tolle wrote:Its still totally not understandable why a great program like reason does not have a flexible and nice eq on every track like the other 'big' sequencer programs has..
Reason makes absolutely no effort to be like other DAWs because its coming from a very different angle. If you want a "standard" DAW, buy one.

The Tone Ranger

26 Apr 2016

dr_tolle wrote:Thanks for the answers. Yeah I will probably have to use the insert effect then.
Its still totally not understandable why a great program like reason does not have a flexible and nice eq on every track like the other 'big' sequencer programs has..

Anyway Thanks ;)
Logic and Pro Tools don't have any EQ on the channel. You have to put them on the insert manually.

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2016

The Reason SSL EQ is very musical and great for intended use of setting parts in the mix.

https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/01/2 ... ce-mixing/

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

The_G

26 Apr 2016

You can buy GEQ7 as a rack extension, which does what you want an EQ to do.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

plaamook

26 Apr 2016

The_G wrote:You can buy GEQ7 as a rack extension, which does what you want an EQ to do.
Sure does. I love that thing!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

txh003

26 Apr 2016

dr_tolle wrote:Thanks for the answers. Yeah I will probably have to use the insert effect then.

Anyway Thanks ;)
To my knowledge, most DAWs offer several EQs as insert effects. Nevertheless, an "in-the-box" device similar to Studio One's ProEQ would be a nice addition to Reason, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, in spite of Reason's non-sale price tag of $399, a comparable EQ device, such as Synapse GQ-7, must be purchased via the RE shop. :puf_unhappy:
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

Loque

26 Apr 2016

txh003 wrote:

Anyway Thanks ;)
To my knowledge, most DAWs offer several EQs as insert effects. Nevertheless, an "in-the-box" device similar to Studio One's ProEQ would be a nice addition to Reason, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, in spite of Reason's non-sale price tag of $399, a comparable EQ device, such as Synapse GQ-7, must be purchased via the RE shop. :puf_unhappy:
I dont own Studio One, but what makes this EQ so great that it is a must have?
Reason12, Win10

Ahornberg

26 Apr 2016

Loque wrote:
txh003 wrote:

Anyway Thanks ;)

I dont own Studio One, but what makes this EQ so great that it is a must have?
and how does it sound :question:

selig
RE Developer

26 Apr 2016

dr_tolle wrote:Just tried the E-mode you talked about Gaja. well it helps a little but still not possible to pin out a tight frequency area.
That's because at the highest boost/cut the Q is the same, so it's not going to be a whole lot different except for a small boost/cut amounts. This concept is known as proportional Q, and every EQ that supports this feature does it differently. The EQ in Logic for example has the Q match at 0 dB boost cut rather than max as the SSL does, and then increases the Q from there as you boost/cut. The concept is more about how the curve reacts as you add/subtract gain rather than how tight the Q is overall.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Neosaki

28 Apr 2016

txh003 wrote:

Anyway Thanks ;)

What's wrong with the mclass equalizer that comes with reason? I own a couple other RE eqs (although not GQ-7) and still consistently reach for the mclass.

Ahornberg

28 Apr 2016

Neosaki wrote:What's wrong with the mclass equalizer that comes with reason? I own a couple other RE eqs (although not GQ-7) and still consistently reach for the mclass.
and if I need more than 2 parametric bells I grab a 2nd MClass EQ :puf_bigsmile:

zakalwe

28 Apr 2016

mclass will do the job but it's far less featured than S1's Pro EQ and has no freq spectrum.

GQ-7 is very, very nice but expensive for what it is. it can do zipper free dynamic EQ though which is fantastic, and the LP/HP slope options are really impressive.

I'd say buy the GQ-7 if you're committed to reason. or, at least wait until it ends up in a bundle or on sale.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2016

Neosaki wrote: What's wrong with the mclass equalizer that comes with reason? I own a couple other RE eqs (although not GQ-7) and still consistently reach for the mclass.
Mclass EQ is alright but to my ears GQ-7 sounds cleaner and clearer when boosting (or cutting). I find Mclass to sound a bit harsher. It's a pretty subtle difference but enough to make my ears hear it. Ever since I bought the McDSP EQ bundle and GQ-7 I haven't used Mclass EQ once. Mclass EQ is alright and it gets the job done, it's just that other EQs are "better".

Ahornberg

28 Apr 2016

I mostly use the channel strip EQ because it is already there on every channel ... maybe I'm lazy :cool:

Gaja

28 Apr 2016

Ahornberg wrote:I mostly use the channel strip EQ because it is already there on every channel ... maybe I'm lazy :cool:
Me too. I only reach for inserts if the SSL EQ doesn't cut it.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Loque

28 Apr 2016

Ahornberg wrote:I mostly use the channel strip EQ because it is already there on every channel ... maybe I'm lazy :cool:
Some other EQs have nice coloring or special EQ curves tgat you cannot replicate with normal EQs. I recommend using them...
Reason12, Win10

Exowildebeest

28 Apr 2016

zakalwe wrote:mclass will do the job but it's far less featured than S1's Pro EQ and has no freq spectrum.

GQ-7 is very, very nice but expensive for what it is. it can do zipper free dynamic EQ though which is fantastic, and the LP/HP slope options are really impressive.
It doesn't have any 18db filters, which disappoints me. That slope is so nice for mixing!

Loque

28 Apr 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:
zakalwe wrote:mclass will do the job but it's far less featured than S1's Pro EQ and has no freq spectrum.

It doesn't have any 18db filters, which disappoints me. That slope is so nice for mixing!
GQ? You can select from i think 12 different slopes up to 96...
Reason12, Win10

zakalwe

28 Apr 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:

hey it's synapse so maybe email them if you'd like to see it. they do tend to support their products rather well.

• Information