Sudden garbage-y audio?!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Last Alternative

14 Jan 2016

Please can someone explain to me why everything is going smooth and out of nowhere Reason destroys my song like it's totally trashed, delayed, choppy, and bit crushed to death? My DSP hardly hits 2 pegs and that's rare. Don't get me started on RAM & CPU because my computer can handle anything. It's not the 1st time this has happened but it really pisses me off when it does because it won't stop when I pause/play and I'm not about to save to exit. Even exiting without saving makes me worried it's somehow corrupting my song file (which Reason has wiped to zero kb in the past a few times). And by the way, all I had open besides Reason was the internet with a few pages, no audio playing. This never affected things before...... .

I'm sure without a doubt I'm not the only person this has happened to so if anyone has any idea, please share. I'm relying on you guys since I already know from experience contacting PH only leads to a week+ wait for a response and their blame-the-customer core values.

And in case you're wondering it's fine when I re-open the file but still.. it's as if Reason crashed but didn't shut down. No error messages either.
Thanx in advance.
-Jace
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2016

Annoying. Only thing that really upsets my Reason is AVG. It creates constant glitches. Replace it and all is smooth again. Maybe you have something similar interfering?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Kov

14 Jan 2016

Have something like that from time to time. When i hit the the buffer size slider in audio preferences it goes back to normal again. Guess it's the audio interface acting up (in my case).

Loque

14 Jan 2016

Increase the buffer of your audio device. Use a ASIO driver if possible. Even with DSP available the sound may becom glitchy if buffer is too smal.
The problem of corrupted files indicates a other and probably bigger problem. Maybe HD or interacting background software.
Reason12, Win10

dtaki

14 Jan 2016

I have had this exact issue occur, and I agree with Kov that I believe it to be an audio interface issue. The audio would suddenly sound like I put everything through Scream on bitcrush setting - what I did was go into my audio interface's configuration app and change the sample rate to something else, then change it back. I suspect that changing buffer setting would have worked too, though. For me, the problem wasn't exclusive to Reason - I use my interface also as my computer's sound card, so even if iTunes was the only program that was open, occasionally this bitcrushing issue would occur.

I switched to a new audio interface and have not had the problem since. The only confounding variable here is that my troublesome interface was FireWire, and my new working audio interface is USB. So it's possible that my FW bus was acting up - however I think that's unlikely. What interface are you using?

I think that the reason why it resolves itself upon restarting Reason is because closing and re-opening Reason likely "re-initializes" the buffer and sample rate settings of your interface, which is the manual work-around that Kov and I have had to use.

normen

14 Jan 2016

Focusrite audio interface maybe? Their drivers are abysmal and do this from time to time. "Aggregate devices" also do this (i.e. using two different audio interfaces together via software sync). And then ofc too low buffer sizes but that'd also peak out your DSP meter so thats probably not it.

Last Alternative

14 Jan 2016

Thank you guys. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 which I use for all audio on my computer. This issue has never happened outside of Reason. I bought it new; it never leaves my desk, has never been struck or dropped. I will try changing buffer settings but then I'm trading for latency. Maybe I'll just get a better interface soon since it sounds like the main suspect, from what you guys are saying, and it also makes sense.
Any other input is welcome and very much appreciated.

Ever have a moment in life where you get so enraged because nothing is working right? It's like "GOD WHY CAN'T SH*T JUST WORK?!?"
lol right now I'm dealing with:
*Reason audio issue
*blu ray player cuts multiple times during each movie
*ecig always leaking (I've tried so many top brands; they all suck)
*truck stalls sometimes
*dickhead at work who tries to get people fired and has set his sights on me

There's more but you get the point. Life is full of problems and these are definitely 1st world problems but what chaps my ass the most is trying to escape the world and make music.. and then that's a problem too!
Again thank you all for your support. With everything thru the years. I hope the buffer change does the trick.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

jappe

14 Jan 2016

Hello! About the garbage audio: I've had something like that before on Windows7 and Balance. I think I just disconnected the balance usb cable and reconnected to fix it. Try also to use another USB port.

Perhaps you can find a solution here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslu ... blems.html
Last edited by jappe on 14 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

jappe

14 Jan 2016

Sorry about the dickhead at job. I don' t have any other advice than trying to improve performance if there is anything to improve, and focusing on being a role model. Not easy,but I've been there too and it worked for me.
A bit humiliating, but also focusing on getting a better relation with any dickhead at job can also be good. Though difficult.
Google for advice to solve difficult situations at work.

If there is any Carnegie Leadership/communication course nearby,I can strongly recommend that. Their courses have the potential to be true life changers for the better

jappe

14 Jan 2016

Also: I can strongly recommend Mindfulness meditation as a way to cope with stress and becoming a happier person with more energy and willpower.
Search for a Mindfulness app with good reviews.
I use a Swedish app myself, you prob don't want that:)

jappe

14 Jan 2016

Last Alternative wrote:I hope the buffer change does the trick.
...and about Mindfulness: it' a bit like a buffer change: you get a larger stress buffer until stress gets harmful and causes noise in the systen, but still get a better latency too:-)

normen

14 Jan 2016

Last Alternative wrote:Thank you guys. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 which I use for all audio on my computer. This issue has never happened outside of Reason. I bought it new; it never leaves my desk, has never been struck or dropped. I will try changing buffer settings but then I'm trading for latency. Maybe I'll just get a better interface soon since it sounds like the main suspect, from what you guys are saying, and it also makes sense.
Do you use it in other DAWs that actually use ASIO? Its quite a different thing using the windows drivers for games and media and using an ASIO driver, which is much "closer to the metal". Buffer size won't do much there I'm afraid, they're just messing up their own sync at times. And the interface is great, its just the drivers that suck ;) But I guess in the end hardware is never on its own - its about a good symbiosis of soft- and hardware :)

Last Alternative

14 Jan 2016

I only use Reason DAW and Focusrite interface.

MarkTarlton

14 Jan 2016

I have had that happen with youtube videos, I would describe it as more of a ring modulator/bit crusher, on a mac with the built in soundcard. it's been a while though.

also just had reason crash while making a new tune with only a few native instruments/effects...I was playing with the echo feedback, and my computer totally froze, and made a repetitive hiccup sound until I hard manually shut it down. I have had like 20 crashes since 2002, but it's never totally screwed me so I am not complaining :)

• Information