Soul School Layered/Live

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
thefixr

10 Jul 2015

https://youtu.be/Yny8c00xukU?list=PL9Gp ... Godi9_udGY

Here's my latest pad playing effort. This grew out of an experiment I conducted almost a year ago:

About a year ago I picked up the Soul School & Soul School 2 Refill (Samples, Patches) for Reason - my music making software of choice. This was also around the same time I started experimenting with layering full instrument parts across the typical 16 pad (4x4) layout and working on templates that would make creating music with such a setup not only possible, but very straight forward. I tended to have 2 to 4 layers with a layer of drums, a layer of bass notes and usually a layer containing a melody or lead.

One day I decided I was going to mess around and do a few mad scientist experiments and wanted to see if I could layer drum, bass, horns/guitars from Soul School/Soul School 2. The only precaution I took was to make sure that the bass and lead parts were from the same Soul School groove and were in the same key. This video demonstrates the result of the aforementioned experiment.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

forensickbeats

11 Jul 2015

(...)
Last edited by forensickbeats on 22 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

thefixr

11 Jul 2015

forensickbeats wrote:Cool stuf, man!
I could use such technique on a rap song instrumental in order to get the song less repetitive.
Thanks! Good luck with your song. Let me know if you think I can be of any assistance.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

SoulState

11 Jul 2015

Good work!
Very interesting vid Fixr! :thumbs_up: What's going on underneath the KONG "hood"? Would be cool to see a vid of how you went about setting up Kong; what HIT types you used for the pads e.g. CHUNG TRIG, LOOP TRIP, SLICE TRIG etc or maybe you could upload one of your patches to check out?
I'd be keen to try this out on DISCO SCHOOL or maybe my own recordings. Like forensickbeats said...could be cool for live stuff ;)
:reason:

thefixr

12 Jul 2015

SoulState wrote:Good work!
Very interesting vid Fixr! :thumbs_up: What's going on underneath the KONG "hood"? Would be cool to see a vid of how you went about setting up Kong; what HIT types you used for the pads e.g. CHUNG TRIG, LOOP TRIP, SLICE TRIG etc or maybe you could upload one of your patches to check out?
I'd be keen to try this out on DISCO SCHOOL or maybe my own recordings. Like forensickbeats said...could be cool for live stuff ;)
I've been meaning to post my setup for a while. For the soul school stuff it is slightly different but more or less follows the same basic template. Unfortunately my setup is difficult to explain in writing - even with screen caps to illustrate concepts - which always makes me wonder if that means it's too complex. One of these days I will get around to making a video where I go over everything. Suffice it to say there's a lot going on as my goal was to find a setup that allows me to play 30 min to an hour straight without looking at my laptop (which is actually closed sitting under my PadKontrol):

https://instagram.com/p/4Kftl8FDK5/?tak ... emarschall

https://instagram.com/p/4LUUlAlDFs/?tak ... emarschall
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

• Information