Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
supersmarter

19 May 2024

scotward57 wrote:
19 May 2024
I swear it feels like Ryan Harlin is the one who keeps Reason Studios on the map. And I don't mean that in a used car salesman sort of way. But it's just the way he can articulate the vision of Reason Studios He's the best at what he does!!
Maybe for you. For me, he's just a PR person. Yes, a good one. Developers are the ones making Reasson on the map. People were doing their job before him. There will be people after him. Quite frankly it's scary how many people are obsessed and focused on Ryan's appearance and looks. I was reading YouTube comments and thinking to myself what the hell is this? 90% of the comments are "You looking good" "You have legs", and "Are you ok you lost weight"...

I didn't even notice he was overweight if it was. What a weird crowd. Why focus on appearance so much? The reason is not in the business of finding best best-looking person model. I think if he changes his haircut people are going to organize an online petition to bring it back :lol:

False Mirror

19 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 May 2024
There are several filter REs that have this feature. Catalyst from Turn2on does it, and I think Red Queen EQ as well.
You are absolutely correct and I now think it is a simple as interpolating between the different coefficients of a biquad.

zabukowski

19 May 2024

Not strictly related to R13, but if you haven't noticed yet, R+ subscribers have prioritized support, unlike regular users.

I hope someone competent will shed light on this.

Check the features at https://www.reasonstudios.com/get-reason

luckygreen

19 May 2024

supersmarter wrote:
19 May 2024
scotward57 wrote:
19 May 2024
I swear it feels like Ryan Harlin is the one who keeps Reason Studios on the map. And I don't mean that in a used car salesman sort of way. But it's just the way he can articulate the vision of Reason Studios He's the best at what he does!!
... 90% of the comments are "You looking good" "You have legs", and "Are you ok you lost weight"... Why focus on appearance so much? ...
Don't take it too seriously. I had a good laugh ... "Ryan is looking faster too" .. :lol:

If you want to discuss R13 in all seriousness, maybe here at RT is a better place for that.
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

Adabler
Competition Winner

19 May 2024

Friktion is among the instruments in the Reason 13 browser photo. Could this mean it will become a stock instrument?
:reason: 12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

19 May 2024

One thing about the browser they i haven't seen mentioned by anyone here is the fact you can now load stuff with just the keyboard. I had to use special mouse position mapping macros on the stream deck to load devices with one button press in a way similar to the way i do it in live, except there it works much better cause it's keyboard only, and now it sounds like it will be much easier and elegant to achieve in Reason as well. Looking forward to trying this out meself 🤓

SebAudio

19 May 2024

supersmarter wrote:
19 May 2024
scotward57 wrote:
19 May 2024
Maybe for you. For me, he's just a PR person. Yes, a good one. Developers are the ones making Reasson on the map. People were doing their job before him. There will be people after him. Quite frankly it's scary how many people are obsessed and focused on Ryan's appearance and looks. I was reading YouTube comments and thinking to myself what the hell is this? 90% of the comments are "You looking good" "You have legs", and "Are you ok you lost weight"...

I didn't even notice he was overweight if it was. What a weird crowd. Why focus on appearance so much? The reason is not in the business of finding best best-looking person model. I think if he changes his haircut people are going to organize an online petition to bring it back :lol:
It’s the difference between Reason and other « daw » or plugins : it’s incarnated by people and for some users it’s like a « community » which makes it still extraordinary. Ryan knows how and on what to focus its speech. It’s very clear and exciting for Reason users.
As much as I like Live, nothing like that exists in Ableton (even if so-called known artists are showing us they use Live. And what about those conferences…).
As much as I like The Legend HZ & Repro, and they’re great synths better than anything in Reason, there’s nowhere I can feel part of a community related to them.
That just to say, people like Ryan makes me want to make music. And yes, I’ve also 1st above noticed he had lost weight. And it’s a good thing for anybody, so for him.

spacepluk

19 May 2024

Neo wrote:
18 May 2024
Thanks for sharing that video!

I'm 100% sold on this update, great work!

deeplink
Competition Winner

19 May 2024

Adabler wrote:
19 May 2024
Friktion is among the instruments in the Reason 13 browser photo. Could this mean it will become a stock instrument?
Nope.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 May 2024
I'm already getting to terms with the idea of having a default-preset for each device and make favorite lists with that.
Thinking a bit more about this: having a default preset obviously won't work for those REs that don't load presets, and there are quite a few of those :?

My prediction is that we are going to see a lot of requests to RE-devs to add presets to their devices.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

ThePr0ph3cy

19 May 2024

Does anybody already got access to the Reason 13 beta?

Ottostrom

19 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 May 2024
Thinking a bit more about this: having a default preset obviously won't work for those REs that don't load presets, and there are quite a few of those :?
Damn you're absolutely right :?
Okay now I really want to know what is possible with the device browser. Cause if I have to start typing the device names every time then I'm going to cry

Heigen5

19 May 2024

Well yeah, Reason 13 seems a version that is suppose to fasten our workflow and also kinda making us to face new areas while using it. The new browser concept to tag stuff is one feature I really like, because I'm a sound-designer. The updated sequencer might become handy too, because it put lots of features front of your face, that we'd otherwise might overlook. I'm not saying that Reason 13 is a huge groundbreaking update, but it delivered few handy things. We didn't yet get track folders still not, which is a rather funny thing by now, but well, there will be point updates that might finally bring these on the table too. I also wish that combi2 will get stepped knobs, indicators, graphic mini-screens etc. too.

My birthday is 13th Septemeber, so number 13 isn't an issue for me. The karma is on the other people reagrading that, lol.
Last edited by Heigen5 on 19 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

Ottostrom wrote:
19 May 2024
Okay now I really want to know what is possible with the device browser.
Agreed. Eagerly awaiting the beta to drop :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2024

False Mirror wrote:
18 May 2024
I’m very curious on the implementation of the continuous LP/HP filter in PolyTone. I’m not aware of any DSP algorithm doing that.
It’s just a crossfader on the outputs of the LP and HP of the filter, nothing more. Check out the Oberheim SEM module as a classic example of this feature.
Selig Audio, LLC

supersmarter

19 May 2024

luckygreen wrote:
19 May 2024

If you want to discuss R13 in all seriousness, maybe here at RT is a better place for that.
Undoubtedly here is a much better place even all negativity summed up - much better.

supersmarter

19 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
19 May 2024

Thanks for sharing that video!

I'm 100% sold on this update, great work!
Yup. ReasonStudios take my money...

Pepin

19 May 2024

I'm curious how many users know that velocity ramps are already built into the software (by holding control with the pencil tool in the velocity editor). You'd never discover this without reading the manual or being told by someone. Holding shift to affect only the selected notes is even more obscure and not documented at all iirc. The new approach is definitely appreciated and more precise as well.

WolfZeit

19 May 2024

I bumped into Ryan in Berlin a few hours ago. I'm here on holiday, nothing to do with Superbooth. Can't believe in this huge city I was cycling around and then suddenly there he was walking out of a side street. Had a chat with them. He's just like how he comes across in his videos, enthusiastic and very friendly. I let him know that some people were obsessing about his weight loss lol 😉 He seems like a lovely guy. He was wearing a very cool Ripley tshirt.

luckygreen

19 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
19 May 2024
I'm curious how many users know that velocity ramps are already built into the software (by holding control with the pencil tool in the velocity editor). You'd never discover this without reading the manual or being told by someone. Holding shift to affect only the selected notes is even more obscure and not documented at all iirc. The new approach is definitely appreciated and more precise as well.
Actually I am the guy whos knows that! :lol:

I watched a video tutorial not long ago and made some notes. Here are some of the notes. And please ignore the misspellings. My notes are intented to be used by me.

Code: Select all

STRG +
drag n drop		duplicate
pulling
left or right	resize
STRG +
pulling			timestrech / compress
Razor Tool (R)	- Single Clip cut
				- draw frame to cut multiple clips
				- click in ruler to cut all clips
STRG + J		join all selected clips together
RC + add label	addin a label to a clip
M				mute selected clip(s), mute selected notes
Shift + B		Bounce in place
holding ALT		temporarily Pencil Tool
holding ALT +
holding STRG	temp multiple Note drawing Notes
[STRG +
Pecil Tool		- draw line in velocity area
				- draw notes in note area
ALT + STRG +
Selection Tool - draw line in velocity area
				- draw notes in note area
holding STRG +
cursor keys		nudge selected note up /down / left / right
drag selection
with magnify T.	Magnifying that Selection
(STRG = CTRL)
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

spacepluk

19 May 2024

WolfZeit wrote:
19 May 2024
He was wearing a very cool Ripley tshirt.
I also want a Ripley tshirt :D

WolfZeit

19 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
19 May 2024
WolfZeit wrote:
19 May 2024
He was wearing a very cool Ripley tshirt.

I also want a Ripley tshirt :D
They really look good don't they 👍🏻 Reason should consider selling them.

riemac

19 May 2024

timotheen wrote:
18 May 2024
crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 May 2024

I think the new browser window is inevitable, it is impossible to fit all that tagging functionality in the left sidebar without making it so wide that it would still take up a large part of the screen.

I get why they introduced the floating browser for more features, but it's not making things faster.
It's great for all the extra stuff, but not for quick workflow in the rack. They kinda messed up something that, even though outdated, worked really well, in my experience at least.
If you were organized, you were able to stay focused in the rack and work extremely fast. They should at least keep the favorite lists and folders accessible right below where the devices are.
Can't wait for the beta, maybe I'm being super dramatic and it's not that bad... But that sonicstate video wasn't reassuring to me.

Fingers crossed
I really hope they doen't drop the favorite lists and folders for your instruments and VST's, this is very importend for my workflow.
The second thing I haven't seen yet is where the filters for RE's, VST2 and VST3 are?
I hope, all this hides behind the little triangle on the left side of the search field of the instruments browser (see picture)

Instrument Browser.jpg
Instrument Browser.jpg (264.13 KiB) Viewed 261 times

What do you think?

Heigen5

19 May 2024

As you can see from the pic above, the favourite lists are still there.

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

Heigen5 wrote:
19 May 2024
As you can see from the pic above, the favourite lists are still there.
This has been discussed before. The favorite lists are for presets in the preset browser. We are talking about favorites for the devices in the left-side panel (where the devices are). Several users, me included, have setup many favorite lists to group specific devices, like e.g., all compressors. So far, it appears that functionality is gone.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, here's a picture of my current browser:

2024-05-19 19_51_48-Window.png
2024-05-19 19_51_48-Window.png (50.98 KiB) Viewed 238 times
-------

• Information