Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Pepin

18 May 2024

Just noticed you can flip the devices on the product page. The back of Ripley is more extensive than I was expecting:
Attachments
ripleyback.png
ripleyback.png (492.54 KiB) Viewed 866 times

tt_lab

18 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 May 2024
Case in point: you ask for velocity humanization, which is basically adding small randomization to velocity.
No is not. I've made a clear reference to tools in other DAW, FL in this instance, that has very good tools to introduce humanization. If you don't know them, go and check them out.
crimsonwarlock wrote: Velocity randomization has been available for years in the F8 tool window, but you probably didn't know that because that window is hidden by default.
You guessed wrong. I use it all the time, have been using it since R5. But is somewhat poor implementation of what I was talking about.

Still, my opinion is that it is an ok ish update. We'll see if they introduce more sequencer enhancements with point updates.

False Mirror

18 May 2024

I could play around a bit with R13 at SuperBooth. Ripley is really great, I see myself using it a lot. I also liked PolyTone. It’s very easy to get good Sounds out of it.

The only thing that didn’t convince me was the new browser. Right now it is very easy to drag and drop samples into Grain or Mimic. This is much more cumbersome with the new browser. Or it might be that I didn’t just have enough time with it yet…

crimsonwarlock

18 May 2024

tt_lab wrote:
18 May 2024
crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 May 2024
Case in point: you ask for velocity humanization, which is basically adding small randomization to velocity.
No is not.
Yes, it is. Human interaction is random by nature. Any tool in another DAW that calls non-random changes 'humanizing' is fooling you, and if it is NOT non-random, then it is random. The human motor system is incapable of repeating exact movements.

To humanize, for example, a drum pattern, you need to introduce small random changes to velocity, timing, and optimally the actual sound of the hits depending on where they hit the drum. All this can be done without exception with a randomizer tool, and the tool windows has the functions for velocity and timing.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

tt_lab

18 May 2024

Humanization has some randomnes to it but is not completely random, but as I see it and it's implemented, as I said, elsewhere, there is a pattern for instance of strength in the different fingers, left vs right hand etc...
When you apply Reason's random velocity it does not take this into account, so you can have a stronger velocity not on your virtual pinky than on the index. Just putting an example , but there are plenty more.

Pepin

18 May 2024

The velocity randomization in Reason would be a lot more useful if it was not percentage based. I would only use the existing feature for adding variation to a fixed velocity passage.

Other software like Logic will add/subtract a random value within a range (like [-10, +10]). This is more typically what you'd want when transforming midi that already has some dynamics.

tt_lab

18 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
18 May 2024
The velocity randomization in Reason would be a lot more useful if it was not percentage based. I would only use the existing feature for adding variation to a fixed velocity passage.

Other software like Logic will add/subtract a random value within a range (like [-10, +10]). This is more typically what you'd want when transforming midi that already has some dynamics.
That would be a nice step forward. Also they can make it interactive with a rotary know so you could see and hear the effect while playing the sequence. and comit after the fact. And not only with velocity. With position too. The reaction time in your less trained fingers is different too. What I would want is a more deepp feature, rather than the existing apply X% and have the root of a chord for example playing quieter than a 7th.

jaeproduced

18 May 2024

After watching the SonicState video I will be upgrading at some point depending on the price. There's just not enough new features to justify me paying $199 but I could see paying $99.

Grimlucky

18 May 2024

jaeproduced wrote:
18 May 2024
After watching the SonicState video I will be upgrading at some point depending on the price. There's just not enough new features to justify me paying $199 but I could see paying $99.
A scaled pricing model might be a good system, so if you’re on version 12 it’s $49, version 11 is $99 etc.
This would reflect the value difference between versions as features get added gradually.

crimsonwarlock

18 May 2024

tt_lab wrote:
18 May 2024
Also they can make it interactive with a rotary know so you could see and hear the effect while playing the sequence. and comit after the fact.
Enlightenspeed's Note Humanizer and Note Alter players are interactive. You can then commit with the send-to-track option.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

jaeproduced

18 May 2024

Grimlucky wrote:
18 May 2024
jaeproduced wrote:
18 May 2024
A scaled pricing model might be a good system, so if you’re on version 12 it’s $49, version 11 is $99 etc.
This would reflect the value difference between versions as features get added gradually.
That's a great idea simply because I suspect version 13.1 will be out by October with a new feature or 2...

luckygreen

18 May 2024

aquil wrote:
17 May 2024
What's New in Reason 13?
Is it me or did Ryan lose quite a bit weight? He looks good. And those wide shots .. He can be proud of himself. :thumbup:

Slim Ryan, slim features
(regarding R13)

Nah .. just kidding. :puf_bigsmile:
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

jaeproduced

18 May 2024

Reminds me of how slim down this upgrade is going to be...lol 😂

drno
RE Developer

18 May 2024

:lol:
jaeproduced wrote:
18 May 2024
Reminds me of how slim down this upgrade is going to be...lol 😂

tt_lab

18 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 May 2024
Enlightenspeed's Note Humanizer and Note Alter players are interactive. You can then commit with the send-to-track option.
Good to know, thank you. I don't own those, gotta take a look.

motuscott

18 May 2024

New healthier looking Ryan w/ Reason update. Good on you, mate!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Chi-Individual

18 May 2024

This update reminds me of the Reason 6 update. That’s the last big UI change I remember where there weren’t a lot of listed update points. Please correct me if I’m wrong, that was a long time ago. The Mixer and introduction of ITB recording, because Record was integrated, were the main features and then you got 3 racks kinda like now, the 3 tools could be 1 rack tbh. I bring this up to ask “How much does the UI change slow down or speed up future updates? Could this coming update have considered certain workflows that have to be established and/or maintained first to accomplish the future updates? Cause I remember the confusion of bringing old projects into a more current version of Reason and things being out of order and the mixer channels didn’t route to ssl channel. I’m just curious if this is the route they “HAD” to go first to then accomplish other things? But I am excited about this one.

selig
RE Developer

18 May 2024

supersmarter wrote:
17 May 2024
selig wrote:
17 May 2024

@supersmarter, it's possible.
Wait are you trying to tell me it is possible to load specific patches from A to B, keep B for example, and then load something entirely different in A and then morph?

If that is true, if I didn't misunderstand you then shiiiiet my weekend just got better... :shock: :clap:
No, sorry! You asked about the copy A-B and morphing. You can only load full patches, there is no individual A or B patch loader.
Selig Audio, LLC

luckygreen

18 May 2024

False Mirror wrote:
18 May 2024
I could play around a bit with R13 at SuperBooth. Ripley is really great, I see myself using it a lot. I also liked PolyTone. It’s very easy to get good Sounds out of it.

The only thing that didn’t convince me was the new browser. Right now it is very easy to drag and drop samples into Grain or Mimic. This is much more cumbersome with the new browser. Or it might be that I didn’t just have enough time with it yet…

The floating browser is my biggest concern as well. Is't it weird that they got rid of the floating tools window and sell it as a major workflow enhancement. And at the same time making the browser a floating window?

Seems to me as if they fix things that ain't broken but don't fix what needs fixing. .. Yeah, I stop complaining already. :|
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

ltbrunt00

18 May 2024

I was slightly on the fence but after seeing Ryan's video I am now looking forward to the changes.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

crimsonwarlock

18 May 2024

luckygreen wrote:
18 May 2024
The floating browser is my biggest concern as well. Is't it weird that they got rid of the floating tools window and sell it as a major workflow enhancement. And at the same time making the browser a floating window?
I think the new browser window is inevitable, it is impossible to fit all that tagging functionality in the left sidebar without making it so wide that it would still take up a large part of the screen.
-------

luckygreen

18 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 May 2024
I think the new browser window is inevitable, it is impossible to fit all that tagging functionality in the left sidebar without making it so wide that it would still take up a large part of the screen.
Maybe.

Here is how Ableton did it with it's new tagging system in Live 12. The tags are displayed in the browser which is still in the left sidebar.

You can show or hide the browser in Live 12 like in Reason 12 with a keyboard shortcut. So I can see how space is a concern but I'm not entirely sure that a floating window is the only solution.

timotheen

18 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 May 2024
luckygreen wrote:
18 May 2024

I get why they introduced the floating browser for more features, but it's not making things faster.
It's great for all the extra stuff, but not for quick workflow in the rack. They kinda messed up something that, even though outdated, worked really well, in my experience at least.
If you were organized, you were able to stay focused in the rack and work extremely fast. They should at least keep the favorite lists and folders accessible right below where the devices are.
Can't wait for the beta, maybe I'm being super dramatic and it's not that bad... But that sonicstate video wasn't reassuring to me.

Fingers crossed

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

timotheen wrote:
18 May 2024
... but it's not making things faster.
Maybe not for you, but certainly for me, and I guess many other users.
timotheen wrote:
18 May 2024
It's great for all the extra stuff, but not for quick workflow in the rack. They kinda messed up something that, even though outdated, worked really well, in my experience at least.
Your experience indeed, but not mine. I'm running the rack on a dedicated, vertically oriented screen, and opening the browser messes with the rack position on that screen.
timotheen wrote:
18 May 2024
maybe I'm being super dramatic
Probably :puf_wink:
-------

scotward57

19 May 2024

I swear it feels like Ryan Harlin is the one who keeps Reason Studios on the map. And I don't mean that in a used car salesman sort of way. But it's just the way he can articulate the vision of Reason Studios He's the best at what he does!!

• Information