Offline authorization will be discontinued for R11 and earlier - This is serious

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jackjackdaw

06 Jun 2023

Just recently Bitwig got into a spot of bother with their users for creating a sub tier of paid upgrade that people considered should be a part of the existing package. Steinberg changed their licensing from dongle to online verification.

Jackjackdaw

06 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
06 Jun 2023
Jackjackdaw wrote:
06 Jun 2023
The alternative for the consumer is buying standalone hardware. But there are plenty of Roland customers griping about their units never getting updated and bugs lingering forever…
Or use a DAW that can be authorised offline, like Logic, Reaper, Bitwig, FL Studio, Studio One, Tracktion etc.

Unfortunately, forcing software customers into online licensing schemes which better suit the vendor is becoming the norm across the industry, here's another recent example https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/06/ ... licensing/
Maybe there is a gap in the market for a standalone hardware book keeping unit? Like an MPC but for finance nerds.😂

I find the shift fascinating, the business angle and the user perspective, the companies just want to stay viable and the users just want to feel secure in their purchase decision. But the businesses finding ways to be more efficient at staying viable is alienating the users who rely on the stability of the product in the marketplace…

But I am turning into an obsessive forum hound so I will shut up now!

DaveyG

06 Jun 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote:
06 Jun 2023
Just recently Bitwig got into a spot of bother with their users for creating a sub tier of paid upgrade that people considered should be a part of the existing package. Steinberg changed their licensing from dongle to online verification.
And subsequently Bitwig listened to their critics and undid the change. Waves did the same. How much uproar would it take for RS to take any action? Of course, complaints on unofficial forums have no effect at all. Social media is how to get heard.

PhillipOrdonez

06 Jun 2023

Eddi-16 wrote:
06 Jun 2023
Some guys here don't understand it I think, because it's not about that it is too complicated to get online once a year - no problem with it! And it is not "overthinking" - it is just common sense. It's about some fundamental ethics if you buy something and the company will tell you once a year "do this and do that, otherwise you can not use it anymore". It's like if you buy a house and the state says to you once a year: "Please come to central office or you can't move in the house anymore". I will avoid this "you will own nothing and be happy" WEF stuff as long as I can.

I do not like this kind of contracts.

Maybe it is because I love taxes that I don't see the issue here, but you already have to do a bunch every year regarding your home, property taxes and stuff, right? And if you aren't done paying for your house, guess what happens if you stop paying your mortgage? 😱

To me, you sound like you're drowning in a glass of water about this minor thing.

The day they force subscription on everyone like waves tried to, I'll join you in the fight against injustice. This? Reacting to this is no different than idiots shooting up bud light cans they've bought because bud light made one can and sent it to a person the idiots are scared of. Or people who get mad at rainbows in baby clothing. 🙄🙄🙄

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote:
02 Jun 2023
Even if you don’t want to upgrade just let it authorise online! It’s not like the CIA are going to storm your house in the night and delete all your subtractor patches.
Damn! I'm in trouble? What's going on?
I am in a hurry and not have much time to read everything right now.... :exclamation:
I need a backup soon!!!
Do I need to de-Authorize my *** MAC address???

bernardh

06 Jun 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Jun 2023
Eddi-16 wrote:
06 Jun 2023
Some guys here don't understand it I think, because it's not about that it is too complicated to get online once a year - no problem with it! And it is not "overthinking" - it is just common sense. It's about some fundamental ethics if you buy something and the company will tell you once a year "do this and do that, otherwise you can not use it anymore". It's like if you buy a house and the state says to you once a year: "Please come to central office or you can't move in the house anymore". I will avoid this "you will own nothing and be happy" WEF stuff as long as I can.

Maybe it is because I love taxes that I don't see the issue here, but you already have to do a bunch every year regarding your home, property taxes and stuff, right? And if you aren't done paying for your house, guess what happens if you stop paying your mortgage? 😱

To me, you sound like you're drowning in a glass of water about this minor thing.

The day they force subscription on everyone like waves tried to, I'll join you in the fight against injustice. This? Reacting to this is no different than idiots shooting up bud light cans they've bought because bud light made one can and sent it to a person the idiots are scared of. Or people who get mad at rainbows in baby clothing. 🙄🙄🙄
Just because you can't understand why some people feel the need to raise their disapproval about this stuff doesn't mean it's irrelevant or they're wrong. Nor does it mean you should try and close them down with ad hominem attacks. The world would be a bit dull if we all thought the same way about everything or we all just allowed whatever principles we have to get ridden over roughshod whenever we find they are at odds with a new status quo.

JC1

06 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
06 Jun 2023

Just because you can't understand why some people feel the need to raise their disapproval about this stuff doesn't mean it's irrelevant or they're wrong. Nor does it mean you should try and close them down with ad hominem attacks. The world would be a bit dull if we all thought the same way about everything or we all just allowed whatever principles we have to get ridden over roughshod whenever we find they are at odds with a new status quo.
Agree 100%
ESP Edwards | VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH | TC Electronic | RODE | KORG | Reason 8 :reason: |

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2023

Dumb but important question:

Scenario 1: I'm leaving for Spain, taking my lappy with me with Auth Reason 10-11
I will have no Internet connection.
Scenario 2: I will have Internet connection (mobile data)

PS I have Reason 12 licence but my lappy refuses to run Reason 12 with Zoom and HD graphics...
So I won't upgrade my Reason 10-11 anytime.

Will Reason work offline for the summer or just no?

PhillipOrdonez

06 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
06 Jun 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Jun 2023

You got to learn to pick your fights.

Fuck the status quo. In real life, not this nonsense. Waste of time and energy. 🙄

EnochLight

06 Jun 2023

Can't wait to see what happens when Ableton adopts a similar authorization for Live. That dojo is going to be like:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Popey
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2023

EnochLight wrote:
06 Jun 2023
Can't wait to see what happens when Ableton adopts a similar authorization for Live. That dojo is going to be like:

All the performers who use it live will love it 😂

bernardh

06 Jun 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Jun 2023
bernardh wrote:
06 Jun 2023

You got to learn to pick your fights.

Fuck the status quo. In real life, not this nonsense. Waste of time and energy. 🙄
That's the thing though - it genuinely isn't nonsense to some people. The way they've been able to use Reason for at least 10 years, if not longer, is going to get fundamentally changed in a matter of weeks. Something which has worked perfectly fine for them one way, is now being downgraded to a less featured experience. Your attitude is just rubbing salt in the wound.

bernardh

06 Jun 2023

Re8et wrote:
06 Jun 2023
Dumb but important question:

Scenario 1: I'm leaving for Spain, taking my lappy with me with Auth Reason 10-11
I will have no Internet connection.
Scenario 2: I will have Internet connection (mobile data)

PS I have Reason 12 licence but my lappy refuses to run Reason 12 with Zoom and HD graphics...
So I won't upgrade my Reason 10-11 anytime.

Will Reason work offline for the summer or just no?
Try disconnecting the internet on your laptop now by disabling the Ethernet connection (I'm assuming you're on Windows): https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enab ... windows-10

See if Reason starts up authorised. If it does, you are all good - you must already have Codemeter installed and an Offline Authorisation license on the machine. It should just work offline indefinitely no problem, even in Spain. However, if Reason doesn't start up authorised, you likely need to install Codemeter https://www.reasonstudios.com/download-codemeter and then use the RS website to get to the Products area of your account and from there select Authorize - this will let you put your Reason license onto the machine. You then also need to hit the Authorize button within the Rack Extensions part of your Products too. Let us know how you get on!

plaamook

06 Jun 2023

EnochLight wrote:
06 Jun 2023

What film is that?…
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

06 Jun 2023

Everyone knows there’s that super cheap R12 upgrade at jrr shops or whatever. There’s a thread on it. You can pick up the 12 upgrade for peanuts and think it all through for a while. Buy some time?

Or here.

QVprod

06 Jun 2023

Eddi-16 wrote:
06 Jun 2023

Nah you have to pay taxes for the right to keep “owning” your house. Having to connect to the internet once a year really isn’t that crazy in comparison. Some complaints are from people that are on here everyday.

For those claiming this is “renting” Reason. Renting by definition requires a continual money exchange like as in a subscription..like Reason+. A once a year authentication is not equivalent to that, especially if your computer is always connected to the internet anyway.

If Reason Studios ever tried some Waves nonsense, I’d 100% be behind fighting the powers that be. But this isn’t that.

Mattvank

06 Jun 2023

arnigretar wrote:
02 Jun 2023
The company is focusing their strength on Reason 12 and are leaving behind an old offline authorization. If you want to use their old products (Reason 11, 10, or whatever) you can still do so. But not offline. It's just how it is :) I
I have no problem with that. I try both and on R11 i don´t get automatic updates anymore. So lets talk about Objekt again :D

Floyd42

06 Jun 2023

plaamook wrote:
06 Jun 2023
EnochLight wrote:
06 Jun 2023

What film is that?…
Could be a scene from "Executioners from Shaolin" (1977) Shaw Brothers
music will save us

EnochLight

06 Jun 2023

Popey wrote:
06 Jun 2023
EnochLight wrote:
06 Jun 2023

All the performers who use it live will love it 😂
Absolutely! Thankfully, even the shittiest of dive bar hotels usually have WiFi. Or they can tether to their Push 3 to their smartphone. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bernardh

06 Jun 2023

QVprod wrote:
06 Jun 2023
For those claiming this is “renting” Reason. Renting by definition requires a continual money exchange like as in a subscription..like Reason+. A once a year authentication is not equivalent to that, especially if your computer is always connected to the internet anyway.
To me the best analogy is this. Under the old system we used to be able to get a hard copy permit to run Reason, that permit could last indefinitely. Under the new system, there is no way to get a permit anymore. This means there is no chance of using Reason indefinitely in your wood cabin. It's now like a book you can only check out from the library for a limited period; you have to keep bringing it back to the library for them to rubber stamp again every 12 months or the book ceases to open properly any more.

wereMole88

06 Jun 2023

This topic sure blew up... To be honest I'm very happy with the new offline authorisation system. I've had about 3 live performances recently where I had to sign in on R+ through my mobile phones hotspot which is a fucking disaster. The first one was in the middle of nowhere and obviously it didn't work and I had to ask the venue for their wifi access. Our rehearsal room is also in the middle of nowhere and every week I have to go through this procedure. I look like a complete idiot hoisting my phone on the air trying to get through the authorisation procedure while my bandmates wonder what kind of holy power I'm trying to invoke. To be fair I don't think they understand the difference between a midi controller and a hardware keyboard. Obviously I should have just relied on my perpetual license but with R+ I got so much more awesome sounds I couldn't resist incorporating them in our setlist. I've had some funky bugs last couple of months but since 12.6 it's all stable and works all the time. No more license out of date bullshit on a remote location when logging in through a dodgy mobile phone hotspot. I finally can use reasons unbridled power :thumbup:

joeyluck

06 Jun 2023

plaamook wrote:
06 Jun 2023
Everyone knows there’s that super cheap R12 upgrade at jrr shops or whatever. There’s a thread on it. You can pick up the 12 upgrade for peanuts and think it all through for a while. Buy some time?
Yeah R12 has it all—the new offline authorization (12.6) and the latest and greatest you can run with Codemeter (12.5).

plaamook

06 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
06 Jun 2023
QVprod wrote:
06 Jun 2023
To me the best analogy is this. Under the old system we used to be able to get a hard copy permit to run Reason, that permit could last indefinitely. Under the new system, there is no way to get a permit anymore. This means there is no chance of using Reason indefinitely in your wood cabin. It's now like a book you can only check out from the library for a limited period; you have to keep bringing it back to the library for them to rubber stamp again every 12 months or the book ceases to open properly any more.
Or like using an iPad or kindle which you have to charge.
I agree. I’m not gonna batch about it. What’s the point. But for me the idea of retiring to a log cabin or equiv is actually a possibility.
I will however make sure I’ve got printed copies of important books. Music was always gonna be tricky. Even just for listening.
Fortunately I’ve got a lot of music, some never even made, stuck in my head.

Or here.

plaamook

06 Jun 2023

joeyluck wrote:
06 Jun 2023
plaamook wrote:
06 Jun 2023
Yeah R12 has it all—the new offline authorization (12.6) and the latest and greatest you can run with Codemeter (12.5).
I’ve ended up surprisingly happy w 12. The graphics are twitchy as hell but it’s as stable as it’s ever been for me. And of course there are more than a few perks. I don’t regret it. I got the first jrr deal for like 80$ or whatever it was.
Sure hope they keep rolling those upgrade deals into the unknown future!

Or here.

dvdrtldg

06 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
06 Jun 2023
To me the best analogy is this. Under the old system we used to be able to get a hard copy permit to run Reason, that permit could last indefinitely.
Nope. The Terms & Conditions have always stated that the company reserves the right to make changes to the way things work
Under the new system, there is no way to get a permit anymore. This means there is no chance of using Reason indefinitely in your wood cabin.
Seriously, who even does this? The Unabomber?
It's now like a book you can only check out from the library for a limited period; you have to keep bringing it back to the library for them to rubber stamp again every 12 months or the book ceases to open properly any more.
Equating logging onto the internet once a year (something everyone routinely does, with the possible exception of your wood cabin hermit, who doesn't exist) with making an actual trip to a physical library is... a stretch

Sorry, I know I'm being an ass ache with all this and will stfu now. But come on dude

• Information